Louvre Custom 3DS XL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by megatallica, Apr 4, 2015.

1. megatallica
    OP

megatallica Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    I just wanted to post this and get some suggestions going. So I wanted to fix one of my spare 3dsxls so I bought a broken one from that would Frankenstein with my one. The one I bought claimed that it could not read gamecards and that the sd card slot was broken. What I got was very different. After Googling I discovered that the hardware I had was a customized 3ds designed as a tour guide for the Louvre.

It behaves alot different than a normal 3ds, it appears to have a custom boot card that runs the os, the os is dependent on software contained on the sd card. The 3ds does not appear to have a nintendo 3ds os. It cannot boot games.

This was something truly interesting, so what do you guys suggest we do? From all appearances it doesnt seem secure, and could help in the development of a truly independent firmware.

So Where do we start.

Heres a video of the 3ds in action.

lPolarisl, cearp and yuyuyup like this.

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    By any chance would the files on the sd card be plaintext? (lol)

I really don't see how it could be interfaced with because all of the known hacks only work with retail OS and carts. Talk to the efnet/3dsdev irc people, maybe they'll know what to do.

migles likes this.
  3. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    That's one awesome find. I would try to do a hard mod and dump the Nand before starting to try and dump the cartridge. Do you have another 3ds and a gateway that you could try to dump the cartridge with?

4. megatallica
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    It didnt even occur to me to attempt to dump the cart with GW, Ill try it out and see if it works

yuyuyup likes this.
  5. megatallica
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    Error FFFFFFFF :(

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    You might want to check the crc32 against what http://3ds.essh.co/ has, because I know CONTRAST has dumped the louvre carts already.
    Just put "louvre" in the search box and quite a few versions show up.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

7. atkfromabove

atkfromabove GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2015
    United States
    The state with lots of wives
    Ah too bad hopefully someone has an idea that would work but I think you have your hands on something that could prove to be very useful.

8. megatallica
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    No Luck, The Cart has the serial LNA-CTR-AAAP-EUR, and appears to be a boot card and not the actual guide, I think the guide is contained on the SD card

9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    There was a nice discussion about it on GBARL but it's gone...

Yep, the retail Louvre card (region free but ironically sold at only one retailer worldwide -- guess where and who is it) is unrelated to the purple-labeled boot card; the actual software loads from SD

If you have a [hardmod] 3DS you can afford to reformat, try to do that, completely power it off at the language selection, insert the boot card, press A+B+X+Y+R+Power (forces autoboot if system isn't configured) and see if it does something!

10. megatallica
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    The system seems to hang...

11. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
  12. Tjessx

Tjessx GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 3, 2014
    Belgium
    Is it able to boot normal games as well?
    Could you share the content of the SD card?

13. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Then they're most likely factory rejects (does the guide need 3D/infrared/wifi/speakers?) recycled with a custom NAND!

----------------------

Here are some photos from that GBARL topic... https://imgur.com/a/W1TYh
    It will "brick" with the last picture if you put it into standby for 5 minutes, or at least that's what the original poster reported!
    "This 3DS can only be used inside Louvre and doesn't support regular software" Tjessx

14. megatallica
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2007
    It seems to have been juggled around Australian ebay for a while now

It cant boot normal games

Everything seems to be functional, wifi is active since the unit uses spotpass for each exhibit, 3D is fine, The unit is a tour guide so it needs Speakers.

15. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    What happens if you put the CTR boot card in a regular 3ds? Try playing it from the home menu and booting the unit up with the card inside.

16. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    So the cartridge substitutes a custom firmware for the missing firmware? If this got into the hands of certain people, it could mean a lot for the 3DS hacking scene.

17. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    It could be that there's a code in the 3DS bootrom which causes it to autoboot certain title ID's and bypass regular firmware. If this was the case, it would be possible to sell an identical cart which loads FW from an SD card, which would be amazing.

18. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Can you please do a few things that might help the community?

1. Can you try to dump the rom of the cart?
    2. Can you upload the contents of the SD card and leak them somewhere?
    3. would it be possible for you to backup the nand for people to look at awell, if you cannot do it with sofware, you can always do a hardware nand mod.

19. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    1. He has, he said it didn't work.
    2. Maybe he will, but talking about it is walking the line of what is acceptable according to the forum rules.
    3. It will be per console encrypted and totally useless (I suspect the same of the SD contents)

20. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah tbh without some sort of new hack i dont think there will be much people can do with this, as he cant run retail games so CN/OOT exploits are out of the picture, and SD contents and NAND would need to be decrypted, which he can't do without some sort of hack to be able to decrypt them.......that being said i would love to get hold of something like that....i wonder if there is any way to access the browser......i think we need louvrehax to be developed XD

but tbh even if the console nand was decrypted and nand contents decrypted it would still likely only be any good for making clone louvre consoles out of standard retail consoles (if your into that sort of thing)

i guess at the least he could see what titles are installed on the SD card by going to x:/nintendo 3DS/***********/***********/title/ and listing the contents