Lost GBA VC save when moving to A9LH

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Darkrai, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Darkrai
    OP

Darkrai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2009
    Brazil
    Brazil
    So with this new method to install A9LH on the NEW3DS, I finally decided to install it. Everything is working perfect, but I lost my GBA VC saves (TLoZ Minish Cap to be more precise :sad:)

I'm trying to recover it but until now, without success...
    With another SD card, I created an emunand and inserted the previous nand backup I made, to try dump the save with decrypt9. But I'm facing some issues, the game don't open on this new emunand and when I try to dump the AGBSAVE partition with Decript9 it shows 0mb.

If someone could help me with this I would appreciate.

Last edited by Darkrai, Oct 2, 2016
  2. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Alright, here's the situation. You know how when you had sysNAND and emuNAND that you needed to install your GBA games to both in order for them to work? This is because the 3DS restarts to enter GBA mode when you launch the game from emuNAND. Since it restarts, it's actually running from sysNAND, so your save is stored in sysNAND even though you ran it from emuNAND. When you installed A9LH, did you continue to have a separate sysNAND and emuNAND or did you overwrite your sysNAND with your emuNAND?

3. Darkrai
    OP

Darkrai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2009
    Brazil
    Brazil
    Yeah I was aware on how the GBA mode works, but I completely forgot to backup my saves. I did overwrite my old sysNAND with emuNAND :sad:.

And that's why I tried to flash my old sysNAND in a new emuNAND on other SD Card, to try to recover the saves from it. But it didn't worked, and I don't understand why...

I'm assuming that I need to import the nand backup to the actual sysNAND to it work properly, but I don't wanna try it without being sure that it will work. It takes forever to import and dump those backups...

4. AnalogMan

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    You would be correct. The GBA save dumping feature only dumps from sysNAND. So you'll need to restore your sysNAND backup to sysNAND, launch Zelda, use Decrypt9 to dump the save, restore your emuNAND backup to sysNAND, launch Zelda AGAIN, then use Decrypt9 to re-import the save.

5. Darkrai
    OP

Darkrai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2009
    Brazil
    Brazil
    I'm trying to import the save right now, but I keep getting "AGBSAVE is corrupted or empty" on Decrypt9...

6. AnalogMan

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    Start Zelda on emuNAND and save a game in it first to initially create the AGBSave space for the game.

Darkrai likes this.
  7. Darkrai
    OP

Darkrai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 24, 2009
    Brazil
    Brazil
    I was in the last part already when I get the corrupted AGBSave partition, I had already started the game and created other save in the game to create space, but yet the error didn't stop.

I inserted another AGBSave partition that I dumped earlier and inserted the save. Thanks for you help ^_^

Some mod can close the thread if necessary...