Lost DS port prototype of De Blob found by YouTuber, RebelTaxi

De Blob is a puzzle-platformer game, which sees the player taking form of a big blob character named, interestingly, Blob, with the goal of painting several buildings to red.

The game was originally being developed by THQ directly for the Nintendo Wii, and coincidentally, the game was set to receive a port to the Nintendo DS by THQ's division, Helixe. This division saw its closure in November, 2008, after a series of layoffs from THQ, which caused all projects by Helixe to be scrapped, including the DS port of De Blob.

On January 15th, 2023, YouTuber, Rebel Taxi, known for his animation projects, got in contact with an anonymous individual, who seems to have a direct connection to Helixe. This individual had in its posession the prototype of the DS port, who gave the prototype to the YouTuber, and subsequently, released the prototype build to the masses.

The leaked unfinished build demo features 3 levels from the game, with only the first level fully realized, and the other 2 subsequent levels lacking the same polish. The prototype ROM can be found in Archive for those interested in checking it out.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is like week old news.
I know lol. I eve mention the date in the post.
I remember seeing this the very day it got released in my feed somewhere, glanced over it, and when I tried to find it again, I just didn't bump into it to make the news post then until KiiWii shared this today. I spent the whole week looking for the post.
I was searching dumbly for A Boy and His Blob DS instead of just De Blob, which was part of why I couldn't find it then.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
dang after watching the video I wish this ended up releasing

Younger me would have loved the hell out of a DS version of this game and just from the video seems like it had some decent potential
Same here. I played the Wii version non-stop.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My only experience with THQ was with Quest 64, coming off of FFVII.

I kind of want to play it again. I never finished it.

ScaryHobbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love both of the Wii games, and this DS port looks on point!
It would've been a classic on the system, for sure.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I tried it out on my N3DS XL using NDS-Bootstrap, and it does work! There's some technical issues owing to being a prototype, but it's functional.

MelonDS isn't able to boot the game citing a save data issue, I'm not sure what that's about. Rebeltaxi does mention as such that it only works in DeSmuME.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo