Hacking lost an entire system transfer??? help

unhappyrefrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm really really desperate and sort of new to all this hacking stuff, so i fucked up really really badly and i'm not sure how to recover it. basically, i have a blue 3ds xl (fully updated) and a red 3ds (8.x) and i had a digital copy of acnl on the blue 3ds that i wanted to move to the red one in order to use the browser exploit. i spoofed the update on the red 3ds using gateway, and was originally planning to delete the app and backup the save file on the blue so i could redownload it from the eshop, but i realized that you can't connect two 3ds systems to the same nintendo id. so i decided to transfer the system.

at this point i think i still must have been in emunand. i then used the system transfer tool from the blue to the red, and once it had finished, suddenly the red told me that i couldn't complete system transfer unless i had the update. i decided not to update, so it just brought me back to the menu, completely blank of all the data i should have sent over. did it kick me back to sysnand while it was transferring? i went into gateway mode, and it started up at the end of the process where it was telling me if i needed to transfer my dsiware. after that it brought me back to the menu, and i thought it would all be there, but it wasn't. where did all my data go? it's still on my sd card, i think, but this also might mean that my acnl file is lost since it's saved to the sysnand if i'm not mistaken???

how do i get my data back? is there a way i can access it on the red 3ds? i don't think it's gone; i went back to my blue 3ds and tried to reconnect my nintendo id to it, only for it to say it's being used on another 3ds, so the data is somewhere. it would be fine if i could wait a week to transfer it back to my blue 3ds, but without updating the red one. did i lose all my acnl data as well?

tl;dr how fucked am i and how can i unfuck it?

Link0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This isnt the problem. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you think it is. I've done this intentionally, and ran into a similar "Hey where did all my stuff go" problem.

Your sysnand, where you kept your ACNL, is perfectly intact. Your SD card however is not. If I'm not mistaken, you'll find two hexadecimal folders on your SD card. One significantly larger than the other. The system transfer created it the smaller, new, one after successfully transferring your emunand. When you remove it, it should show back up again.

If i'm mistaken, there is simply one empty folder, and you should restore the backup you obviously made. (If you didn't, call yourself names and try and recover the data with a recovery tool)

Also, for the record. If your sys and emunands were linked, you should've transferred the game just fine (As in that case, emu and sysnand are identical). If they're unlinked, you'll probably want to redo your emunand, update it to 9.9 and transfer it over proper.

unhappyrefrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, i found the two hexadecimal folders. do i take it off the SD card/trash it?

EDIT: sorry misread the second paragraph of your response!

Link0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh, that was the reverse of what i thought. However it should still hold true, your emunand is very likely reading the wrong SD folder. Boot to emunand, remove the "wrong" one (don't delete it! move it off just in case!), stick the sd card back in and hope it reads the data.

Also keep in mind that i THINK this unlinked your nands, if they weren't already.

Edit: oh and having a backup for the blue one would not have helped, as that has a different key now.

unhappyrefrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok how do i even turn on the 3ds without it creating a new home menu configuration in sysnand (i think that's what it does?) so i can get to emunand without it reading the wrong sd folder?

unhappyrefrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok i'm not completely understanding bc either i'm such a noob or it's not clear enough. do i go to system settings? can i even take the sd card out while booting gateway? i sort of need step by step instructions on this kinda thing...

Link0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can't pull your sdcard while booting to your emunand or while in your emunand, so any point after you run the exploit is too late.
Here's what you do:
  1. You boot the 3ds into sysnand, and go into the system menu.
  2. You pop the sd card out, and remove the hexadecimal file.
  3. You pop it back in, then run the exploit. This avoids the homescreen, so no new folder is made.

unhappyrefrain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmm ok i tried it and nothing's coming up. it has the same layout as my old 3ds, but the places where all my games were are all empty, and i redownloaded acnl only to find it didn't have my save file. sorry ;;

Link0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, then it's loading the right folder, but i'm out of ideas.
Did you transfer the games too? ACNL stores it's safe within itself, so if you didnt let the 3ds copy it, it's gone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/