Hardware Looking to Upgrade 4790k to 2700X, Worth it?

Yamineko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Current Set-Up:
Windows 10 64bit
Intel i7-4790k @ 4.5Ghz (could increase OC too)
GTX 1080 Founders
16GB DDR3-1866Mhz RAM

So, I'm currently looking into upgrading my ~5 year old CPU from the i7 4790k to Ryzen 2700X. I know that my current chip has some really good single-core performance for it's age. However, I feel that I'm getting held back by it's lack of multi-core power, especially in streaming and/or video editing which I tend to do every once in a while.

My friend has a Ryzen 1700 and seems to outperform my setup in some games with a objectively less powerful GPU (RX 480), most notably in PUBG and the Battlefield series. I also tend to have performance issues in a lot of newer games which I assume takes advantage of more cores. Not to say that my CPU is lacking (far from it), I just feel limited by what I play and what I can do; I can't stream some games without terrible performance issues and rendering some videos can take ages.

What do you think? Should I stick it out another year for the next series or would it be a good time to upgrade? I don't plan to upgrade my GPU until a more financially sound option comes out (since RTX is a fairly unused tech) and AMD's offerings don't interest me. Or if you have another idea, feel free to let me know; I'm decent at computers but never really got too much into it.

Thanks,

Yami

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I would make do for a while longer and see how good Zen2 is next year.
This. As someone who just went this route, there's minimal difference in overall performance. Multicore tasks and streaming are improved, that's about it. So, unless you need the extra cores? I'd say hold out for sure.

Reactions: Yamineko

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.