Hacking Looking to get into programming, requesting input

franky86

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to get into programming so I can actually contribute to homebrew and more importantly, learn a new useful skill for myself.

I self-taught myself some basic Visual Basic and HTML back in middle school when I was a pre-teen and took a few courses in high school adding on to those but then I lost interests in it all. I'm also fairly familiar with databases and photoshop. My knowledge is pretty limited and a lot of it forgotten and outdated. I'm not looking to go back to school and get a degree or anything, but self teaching myself a bit, I like learning at my own pace.

My question for you guys is what to start with? I literally have no idea whats useful and what skills I'd need to get into designing for wii homebrew. I'm totally clueless. I'll probably go buy a few books and I have a subscription to lynda.com with lots of guides, tutorials, and training. I'm looking for serious suggestions as to what to start with, pick a language and learn it? C/C++?

Thanks for any replies, flames included!

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well the question is: do you know any programming language? If yes, you can just start with modifying homebrew applications and learn C in the meantime. Seriously, before i started Wii programming, i only knew Pascal and JAVA. Now i know a little C and didn't read a book or whatever for it.

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
best is to learn C++, the best way to do is first download a compiler (like visual C++), then download or buy a book, microsoft has a good free ebook, which you can download here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/nl-nl/beginner/c...129(en-us).aspx
that book is 12 chapters, +- 35 pages per chapter...

once you finish that book (or another one of course), you can download devkitpro, and mayby follow some tutorials on wii homebrew development.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
First play about with code on PC, anything C is best imo for moving onto Wii apps, but even php can teach you good coding habits (some will disagree). What I mean is learning to plan, backup and structure and comment well also logical thinking is sooooooo easy with something like php and you can just use it for taking notes of what you plan to do while working on other things. EG: Coding in C / C+ etc.

Get your pc well setup with EVERYTHING you tihnk you will need, then once it is all installed back it up (I learned the hard way) so you can start over "clean" if needed.

1 - Don't be afraid to ask people for help, everyone was a n00b to begin with. Take notes...seriously. Keep links or copy guides they could be gone next time you need them.

2 - Listen to people and do what they say if they have already made apps, EG Wiipower above. A good teacher can save you from learning things through repetative mistakes.

3 - Go to : http://www.codemii.com try the examples, ask teknecal a question in comments if stuck.

4 - Get as many sources as you can from wiibrew etc, and try basic things on them like changing the text and then onto the graphics before you move on to your own things. This will give you good experience at seeing how others do things.

5 - Now you have had a look and a think, begin a very small basic plan. Take note of this plan, read it everyday and re-edit your "thoughts". Don't aim for the stars, but do push yourself a little.

6a - My advise now is once ready to "release" an app, don't put your email on it and even consider a different nickname to the usual you use for on forums etc kudos is good stalkers is time wasting
tongue.gif

or
6b - Do put your name on it, but don't post saying you will do anything, or give dates, release when it's done 110% and tested.
or
6c - Consider adding to some other project instead of your own app, this could benefit your agenda more (I don't know your motives).

7 - Double, triple and quadruple check any advise to be sure including this. Google is your 2nd best friend (notepade & copy and paste being #1)

8 - MOST IMPORTANT....that's why it's last...have fun, or imho you have no point in doing any of this.

I'm no l33t coder, but I hope you can take some of this advise and see why I offer it
wink.gif

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd recommend looking at tutorials by NeHe (http://nehe.gamedev.net/). While they cover OpenGL in C++, and are only really useful on computers, they're a good start!

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ddp127 said:
best is to learn C++, the best way to do is first download a compiler (like visual C++)

That's fine for PC programming, but since the poster asked about Wii homebrew the better choice would be DevkitPro and learning straight C.

C++ is object oriented whereas C is not, so there is a different approach. You will just find that learning C++ via VC will be quite different from learning C for Wii homebrew programming. They definitely share some basic concepts, but they are otherwise quite different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)