Looking to buy some old controller to USB adapters

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Gamemaster1379, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Gamemaster1379
    OP

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Title should explain it all, I would certainly hope. Now then, I recently got a rebate from the 2TB HDD I purchased a while back. $20, yeah, big whoop. [​IMG] Anyway, I was looking around at some old controller to USB adapters. I'm really wanting to shoot for NES/SNES ones right now. A big plus on my part is being able to do 2 in 1, since I probably will be seeing multiplayer on these things, and it'll save me USB ports. [​IMG] However, it would seem that I can either get one or the other. If I'm lucky, maybe I can find a company that does both and I'll save on shipping or something...Doubt it though.

So far, this is about the cheapest I can get.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IXZ5D...=A1MA7IDK6MTWU4 - SNES Dual USB adapter, $7.64 + $5 shipping

Not too terribly bad, I can do that under $20, but it'd be tough to fit an NES one in there too....

Speaking of NES, my luck was a lot less when hunting one of these adapters down. Unfortunately, the best I could find was this http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintendo-N...=pd_cart_recs_4 - A single adapter for $20, after shipping, this alone throws me over my budget. I wouldn't mind putting a few extra bucks in to get this separately, but $20 for a single adapter is a pretty damn hefty cost.

tl;dr: Does anybody know anywhere cheaper to get NES/SNES to USB adapters?

2. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You could try making one yourself.
    http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/snes_n...sb/index_en.php
    One thing though the microcontroller he always uses the Atmega8 has been discontinued, so your best bet is to use a Atmega88, or something along those lines.
    Edit: http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/4nes4snes/index_en.php he also did one with multiple ports if its possible. Also you could do what most poeple do for arcade controllers connected to a pc, use a usb keyboard's guts and solder the points to the points on the snes controller, its something you have to be creative and resourceful, and hands and balls of steel lol. Seriously soldering isn't hard after practicing and getting steady hands.

3. Gamemaster1379
    OP

Member Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yeah, I thought about giving that a go. I work as a tech for the local highschool, so I'm sure I could pickup PLENTY of broken keyboards that are USB for that sake, the only thing I want to get ahold of an old system that has good ports but isn't working. Amazingly enough, all my NES, SNES, Genesis etc still work just fine. Hell, even my Atari is still in working order.

...if only I can find a four score. [​IMG]

4. cris92x

Member cris92x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Oh another thing you could just buy 3rd party snes controller look alikes as test subjects or theres also some that are already usb snes controller 3rd party, you gotta search yourself as different companies tend to do these type of products.

5. MasterPenguin

Member MasterPenguin GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  6. Xarsah16

Member Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Can't go wrong with the price? Sorry, but even then this is above the TC's range - way above 20 bucks. Especially the all in one @ 150 whopping dollars.

7. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada