looking for some help with hex editing

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by valezor, Aug 21, 2012.

Aug 21, 2012
  1. valezor
    OP

Newcomer valezor Newbie

United States
    i've been playing some rune factory 3 on desmume recently, but when i started i didn't realize that my set birthdate would be set as my birthday in the game. it was set in game as spring 15(from april 15), which clashes with a game holiday which gets annoying, so i was hoping i could modify it through a hex editor(manually changing settings on the emulator doesn't seem to work). so i was hoping i could get someone to help me out with using HxD hex editor to change it, or if you know of a better editor i can use that instead, atm i don't have much experience with editing, ive done some but i would like a hand from someone who knows what he is doing to give me a few pointers.

thanks to anyone kind enough to lend me an assist ^_^

2. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    the birthday value is being extracted from the settings of the firmware that you set, you don't need to hex edit that... if the firmware that you uploaded to your PC for DeSmUmE to use is yours, you can change it and in the worst case reupload and rewrite it, if it's not... it's piracy.
    if you mean editing the game events to move them away to a different date (aka not your birthday), it's scripted event, it's not that easy to "hex edit" that without propely planting it on the right place to keep the game progress\event ratio... actually it will be easier to extract that scripted event and see if it got any changeable values that could change the events date or to rescript that event bit by bit to different date

pointers will not help you (or hell what they have to do?) with this case, you need to actually change the ROM data, you can't expect a action replay or any RAM changers to help you rewrite a game event, the NDS has so much of a memory to use alongside running a game which can be used to execute action replay command which is to change X value to Y on Z address... there's a lot of space for a small codes such as pokemon's item quanity to 99, money x999999, a few can be activated at once on some cards (by few I mean more then 10), however a scripted event will be a tweak, it's barely possible using action replay and even real NDS doesn't have enough space for that... so I doubt about the emulated one... and even if it might no one will hassle on working on such complicated code just for you...

3. valezor
    OP

Newcomer valezor Newbie

United States
    alright thanks anyway. i didnt think anyone would be able to help me anyway cuz it was an odd request but i figured i should ask around before giving up on it.

4. omarrrio

Member omarrrio GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Morocco
    upload your save, give me what did you put as your birth day, and tell me what's ur new wanted birthday :)