Potticus

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the most part I suppose I'm looking for an RPG.

I DO realize there is a rpg list.

But I wanted some people to recommend one with the points I'm looking for.

Strong Characters

Deep Character Customization

and a good developing story line.

The best part is that I don't mind the attack systems.
I can play them all.

If you guys would recommend some that would be nice.

Not a huge final fantasy fan, but they are playable.
Chrono Trigger is a favorite of mine.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quite enjoyed SMT: Strange Journey. The story is interesting (if you're into that style of story) and the main character can be shaped anyway you see fit. (You make choices, and while the character doesn't get his own text boxes, he clearly "talks", as the characters directly respond to your choices with conversation) It has Earthbound / Mother style battles, but movement in game is done in first person. Very interesting.

Both Mario and Luigi games are a lot of fun, too. Not too much customization, and the story is pretty light hearted, but the actual gameplay is top notch.

Infinite Space is probably one of the most customizable DS games out there. I didn't care for it (I just simply couldn't get pulled into it. I hated the combat system), but it is pretty deep. There are A LOT of options.

Custom Robo Arena is pretty deep when it comes to customization, but it's not an RPG. It is a lot of fun, though. There are a crap load of weapons and robot frames, and you can match any item with any other body parts, so there are a LOT of options.

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords and Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes are pretty amazing puzzle titles. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon has a "reclassing" system that you might enjoy, as well. All have RPG elements, with Fire Emblem having the deepest characters.

Disgaea DS has an amazing combat system, and it has a reincarnation system - it's arguably one of the most customizable titles (when it comes to stats) out there because of reincarnation. You can practically build your own character from the floor up, allocating stats as you see fit (if you've got the money and time, that is.)

Devil Survivor has an amazing story, alternate routes, and pretty deep (and eerie) characters. Gameplay is like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Like Strange Journey, the main character can change alignments and story routes, and fully customizable demons (all from various sources of mythology, which is also cool.)

Kingdom Hearts DS has a customizable panel system, in which you power up your character (ranging from speed to weapons and basic movement) and it has a DS Download multiplayer. It's Kingdom Hearts with RPG elements, which is cool I guess.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Disgae: Strong Characters because you can reach Level 9999. Customizeable, well if you played it, you'd know, though it takes hella long to customize one character.

And Windaga is suprisingly right about suggesting Kingdom Hearts, but didn't elaborate.
The Panel system is pretty versatile and convenient. Is being level 99 too easy for you? Then take out a few panels and you're level 1 again. Not to mention the Link panels... The keyblades, you can sacrifice extra damage and magic power for passive abilities. You can make guarding set enemies on fire, or make enemies frozen while giving you extra opportunity to escape or counter attack. You can customize the rolling ability to roll longer and faster, or sacrifice that mobility to damage opponents while rolling, or apply the same to the glide ability. You can customize your jump to high, higher and highest, or sacrifice jumping height to floating in air so you can jump farther/glide longer. Its simple but theres just so much to change, you really can make Roxas your own, and easily change him into an entire new Roxas just by rearranging a few panels.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In addition to what people have said already, try out this list:

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS

It has quite a lot of awesome games that should be tried, including RPGs.

I recommend Suikoden Tierkreis and Sands of Destruction, off the top of my head. The story in both of those was really interesting for me :3

QUOTE said:
Strong Characters

Deep Character Customization

and a good developing story line.
I think those two games cover the points you made.. Not sure about deep customization, but it was deep enough to keep the games interesting (in both)

Potticus

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the comments guys, I've been checking them out and will be adding them.

Ofcourse I have Pokemon, I've owned one of every series.

I have kingdom hearts, haven't started it yet, but I planned to.

I have Chrono Trigger, my friend owns it on the snes so it was cool to have a ds version.

Disgae has a version for psp I see, and that list recommends it, luckily I have a hacked psp
biggrin.gif

I have both shin megami's, I haven't started either. I tried but the wave of text at the beginning scared me away.

Grabbing Disgae as I type and Fire Emblem. And will be starting one of the Shin Megami's and Kingdom Hearts.
But thanks for the good list and suggestions

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Disgae 2 is something the PSP has the DS does not.

The DS version of Disgaea maybe has a few minor extras that are not included in PSP's but suffers from reduced texture qualities.
But its Disgaea we're talking about, as fun and complex as it can be, its going to look like shit no matter which platform you choose. Personally I go with the DS version: >64 megabytes makes for hell of alot easier download/storage and a hacked PSP's limited storage deserves some better games.

Potticus

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Njrg said:
Disgae 2 is something the PSP has the DS does not.

The DS version of Disgaea maybe has a few minor extras that are not included in PSP's but suffers from reduced texture qualities.
But its Disgaea we're talking about, as fun and complex as it can be, its going to look like shit no matter which platform you choose. Personally I go with the DS version: >64 megabytes makes for hell of alot easier download/storage and a hacked PSP's limited storage deserves some better games.

Good opinion on this thanks, already got it for ds I had changed my mind.
I don't play my psp a whole lot, it spends most of its time in my brothers room on hot shots golf 2
biggrin.gif

Already got it for ds, just have to start it!

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely worth it. You'll likely sink hours and hours into reincarnation, let alone that actual story. And, there's Etna Mode as well (though, I don't think you can transfer your characters from your main file), but as far as the story goes, it's worth playing through again to see the differences. There's a deep "item world" for leveling up items, among other things. It's a lot of fun.

Though, for Kingdom Hearts DS, you might want to make sure your shoulder buttons work. It sounds trivial, but it's the way I used my camera's, and it was a pain in the ass at times (especially during the "don't get caught" segments) when my buttons would get stuck. But other than that, you should enjoy it. I didn't really care for the panel system, but from a content stand point, it'll make the game as hard or as easy as you want, so it's pretty neat.

Potticus

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Definitely worth it. You'll likely sink hours and hours into reincarnation, let alone that actual story. And, there's Etna Mode as well (though, I don't think you can transfer your characters from your main file), but as far as the story goes, it's worth playing through again to see the differences. There's a deep "item world" for leveling up items, among other things. It's a lot of fun.

Though, for Kingdom Hearts DS, you might want to make sure your shoulder buttons work. It sounds trivial, but it's the way I used my camera's, and it was a pain in the ass at times (especially during the "don't get caught" segments) when my buttons would get stuck. But other than that, you should enjoy it. I didn't really care for the panel system, but from a content stand point, it'll make the game as hard or as easy as you want, so it's pretty neat.

my shoulders are fine
biggrin.gif

I have an old phat ds and I haven't ever had problems.

My friends left shoulder works like 1/10th the time but he plays KH well enough.

Time to go sink hours into a game.

Cheers
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30