Looking for math geeks ;)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 4,045
  • Replies 33
D

Deleted User

OP
Just to know, who here is studying math at a high level (master and doctorate) ?
I'd love to share my math geekiness with other tempers.
Btw : I'm in 2nd year of my doctorate

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I went the engineering route so maths tailed off a bit in favour of the science but the maths (and to a lesser extent coding for circumvention) behind encryption interests me if it makes any difference.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got an 'A' level, and that was quite enough maths thankyou very much
tongue.gif

Imaginary numbers ("i") was the final straw for me
laugh.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I liked maths at school but didn't do further maths, so first year University Level stuff was kind of lost on me. I did Computer Science so there was a fair bit of maths content in that, but it was just a means to an end. We only did the stuff that might be relevant to us so skipped most of the more difficult topics. I got kinda sick of maths really. Although I can't fault it entirely; the copy of Riley Hobson and Bence that I can't understand a word of makes for a very pretty turquoise and lime green monitor stand.

As for other math loving Tempers, where's Squiffy when you need him?
happy.gif

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I liked maths at school but didn't do further maths, so first year University Level stuff was kind of lost on me. I did Computer Science so there was a fair bit of maths content in that, but it was just a means to an end. We only did the stuff that might be relevant to us so skipped most of the more difficult topics. I got kinda sick of maths really. Although I can't fault it entirely; the copy of Riley Hobson and Bence that I can't understand a word of makes for a very pretty turquoise and lime green monitor stand.

happy.gif
Same here, except I was stupid enough to study Computer Science under the faculty of Mathematics. So I am forced to be a high level math nerd by the end...

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
My, field of (soon-to-be, only half a year to my master's degree) expertise is process automation and robotics, but I went over more math than I can shake a stick at, and I can tackle a lema with the best of them. Well, above-average of them, at least
happy.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Applied Mathematics and Computer Science from Cal.....I do not recommend it. 0 real world application for 95% of the jobs. I guess since you've moved on to the doctorate program, you're more or less doing research or planning on teaching.

theonlyone123123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm in 12th grade, and I was nominated for the Regents scholarship at Cal for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. I was accepted at UCLA for EECS and at Duke University's (yes, the lacrosse one) Pratt School of Engineering. Whether or not I get that full scholarship at Cal, I'll probably attend, unless I get into MIT or Caltech. So, basically, lots of math in my near future. =P

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE([M said:
artin @ Feb 26 2007, 08:57 PM)]Imaginary numbers yield imaginary answers.

imaginary numbers are for people with imaginations. i'm out for money and chicks. calc 2 is as far as i went

Squiffy

GBATemp's Little Embarrassment
Trophies
Website
pyon.co.uk
XP
Country

happy.gif
Hallo!
I'm doing Mathematics and Physics at uni now. I'm in my first year and it's quite difficult. Very different to A-Level maths.
It's still quite interesting, but I seem to be suffering from 1st year syndrome, in that I do almost no work and go to hardly any lectures.
Oh well.

-Squiffy

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
It's still quite interesting, but I seem to be suffering from 1st year syndrome, in that I do almost no work and go to hardly any lectures.
Oh well.

I'd also call it the 3rd year syndrome
happy.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
QUOTE said:
Oh well.

I'd also call it the 3rd year syndrome
happy.gif

Oh let's call it the 8th year syndrome here
wink.gif
The hardest part now is that I have to go to the lectures where I'm the lecturer... damn... At least I teach mathematics for computer graphics it's funny
smile.gif
some students are always excited to make a bouncing ball in povray...

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
If you'd spent two years looking at terminal windows and basic windows GUI's you'd be thrilled with a boucy ball too
happy.gif
(Hehehe lookit'it go! *bounce*)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :blink: