• Replies 33

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just to know, who here is studying math at a high level (master and doctorate) ?
I'd love to share my math geekiness with other tempers.
Btw : I'm in 2nd year of my doctorate

I'm kind of a math geek
smile.gif
. I've considering getting a math major. I'm in Electrical Engineering right now. I've taken Calc 1-3, Differential equations, and matrix/linear algebra already. Plus I've used a lot of math in my EE classes. So how much harder does it get after that? Is it a pain in the ass to get a masters?

So after you get your doctorate's, what kind of job are you looking to get?

D

Deleted User

OP
Just to know, who here is studying math at a high level (master and doctorate) ?

I'm kind of a math geek
smile.gif
. I've considering getting a math major. I'm in Electrical Engineering right now. I've taken Calc 1-3, Differential equations, and matrix/linear algebra already. Plus I've used a lot of math in my EE classes. So how much harder does it get after that? Is it a pain in the ass to get a masters?

Depends, from my point of view it doesn't get harder than it gets more abstract. So if you can't stand abstraction, you'll be somehow lost. But if you can stand studiying things from an abstract point of view and keep a good mathematical intuition, you'll make it.
As an example, if you've been studying linear algebra, you've probably started viewing 2x2 real matrices as transformations in the plane but with no particular problem with abstracting, you've built upon that, and started to work with less geometric fields like the complexes, and with higher dimensional stuff, where you can't damn think of a sphere in 12 dimensions (btw it sounds stupid but starting at dimension 4 you have really unexpected stuff appearing. If you take your 4 dimensional sphere, you can put it inside out in a smooth way. It means you can take a ball and revert it fully without cutting or hard folding. Even better, someone has made an opengl visualisation of a projection in 3 dim of this process, you can see it as a screensaver in linux, it's called sphere eversion). Back on topic. If you're at ease there, maybe you won't when in master you'll have to think of infinite dimensional matrices, or matrices with each elements being an operator. Thinking of a curve in the topological space of matrices... This kind of far-fetched stuff is common sense for a master level... The best way to see if you're well prepared is to buy some textbooks in the mathematical field you like best and start working on it. If you can handle it, you'll handle the rest.
For example if you like matrices stuff, you can look at "Matrix Groups : an Introduction to Lie Group Theory". This book starts with basic stuff, and builds some really advanced mathematics from that.

QUOTESo after you get your doctorate's, what kind of job are you looking to get?
I think public research. If it's damn too hard to find it, I might look for some private research jobs. I've been recently in contact with Tim Sweeney, the chief developper on Unreal engines, and I might try to get into Epic Games.. These guys are cool and really good on the maths side.

Nevin007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I'm kind of a math geek
smile.gif

Depends, from my point of view it doesn't get harder than it gets more abstract. So if you can't stand abstraction, you'll be somehow lost. But if you can stand studiying things from an abstract point of view and keep a good mathematical intuition, you'll make it.
As an example, if you've been studying linear algebra, you've probably started viewing 2x2 real matrices as transformations in the plane but with no particular problem with abstracting, you've built upon that, and started to work with less geometric fields like the complexes, and with higher dimensional stuff, where you can't damn think of a sphere in 12 dimensions (btw it sounds stupid but starting at dimension 4 you have really unexpected stuff appearing. If you take your 4 dimensional sphere, you can put it inside out in a smooth way. It means you can take a ball and revert it fully without cutting or hard folding. Even better, someone has made an opengl visualisation of a projection in 3 dim of this process, you can see it as a screensaver in linux, it's called sphere eversion). Back on topic. If you're at ease there, maybe you won't when in master you'll have to think of infinite dimensional matrices, or matrices with each elements being an operator. Thinking of a curve in the topological space of matrices... This kind of far-fetched stuff is common sense for a master level... The best way to see if you're well prepared is to buy some textbooks in the mathematical field you like best and start working on it. If you can handle it, you'll handle the rest.
For example if you like matrices stuff, you can look at "Matrix Groups : an Introduction to Lie Group Theory". This book starts with basic stuff, and builds some really advanced mathematics from that.

QUOTE said:
So after you get your doctorate's, what kind of job are you looking to get?
I think public research. If it's damn too hard to find it, I might look for some private research jobs. I've been recently in contact with Tim Sweeney, the chief developper on Unreal engines, and I might try to get into Epic Games.. These guys are cool and really good on the maths side.

Wow thanks for the advice. Hmm, I really don't like abstract things too much so maybe I should just stick to Electrical Engineering. But the thing is, I'm starting not to like my EE classes very much, but I remember how I liked my math classes. Especially Differential Equations. I guess I should just take your advice and look into it more. The stuff sounds interesting but I just hope it's not too difficult and I have to drop out or something like that. Maybe I'll get that book you suggested and look into it more.

Epic Games! I love Gears of War
biggrin.gif
that should be an interesting job to work for them. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'm usually pretty lazy but this just got me interested into checking all that stuff out. Thanks.
bow.gif

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
sorry this is so offtopic, but Nevin007:
QUOTE said:
I love Gears of War
Everyone who has played it does. It's just that mind-numbingly good. And if you don't know how it is to chainsaw someone to death, play it. Alright, carry on.

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A good way to show how abstract it gets is in higher level math, most of the times it doesn't even involve #'s. That should give the people thinking differential/linear algebra as high level an idea of really how abstract things can get. When I was taking analysis classes, I knew from then on that math was the wrong path because it has little use. If I were to do it all over again, I'd keep the computer science (somewhat use) aspects and go after mechanical engineerings seeing I didn't exactly love circuitry in EE.

inovermyheadd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm in Grad school, haha, but I'm a music major. I am taking stats again, and again...seems like the classes never end. My Dad got a Masters in Elec. Engineering and said that stats was the hardest math for him to understand. Guess it is kind of like algebra vs. geometry in terms of success...I understand stats but nothing else
biggrin.gif

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It's still quite interesting, but I seem to be suffering from 1st year syndrome, in that I do almost no work and go to hardly any lectures.
Oh well.

I'd also call it the 3rd year syndrome
happy.gif

Oh let's call it the 8th year syndrome here
wink.gif
The hardest part now is that I have to go to the lectures where I'm the lecturer... damn... At least I teach mathematics for computer graphics it's funny
smile.gif
some students are always excited to make a bouncing ball in povray...

We had to do linear algebra, variable analysis and all that. The luckers who are studying Game Graphics got off the hook easily with their maths, more like kinderkarden math
smile.gif
. I finished my three math courses after taking the exams atleast one extra time.
wink.gif
Yeah I'm not good at studies nor math
smile.gif

I'll have my exam after summer when I retake the Physics exam(and no, not phyisics programming exam) and succeed.
Other than that, I've got a project for SGA, ten weeks of work at a VG company and a physics programming course (with white paper involved) before summer
smile.gif
So I'll have Bachelors Degree in Game Programming once done. After that, I'll try to find work at some random developer.

D

Deleted User

OP
Quick, someone give me a proof that there are an infinite amount of twin primes.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass