Hacking Local A9LH installation services?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you charge a decent rate, why not? It takes time, effort and common sense to follow the guide step by step. Most of my friends got their a9lh installed by another guy for 36USD even though I know how to do it, 1 can't even get pass Step 1 Homebrew. :(
My condolences for the intelligence of your friends...

Luc Plays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much agree with everyone else above that says as long as you let the people know it's free online... then yeah, you should be able to charge if you choose to.

I know unless a friend asked me to do it (which... funny enough someone I know at a local retro game store asked if hacking the 3DS would make it play region free which... well, obvious answer for everyone here hahaha... and he said "he'd have to think about it) I'd probably charge some money for my time since I know it's a long process... after all did it for 3 3DSes, all being standard NEW 3DSes (one English, 2 Japanese with capture devices) and yeah, since I'm usually up at crazy hours of the night just laying around either playing on my 3DS or just browsing the net (it's 4:31 am here as I type this xD) I had the time to do an "all nighter" and set them up... but yeah, usually took 4-6 hours, I think the final 3DS was 4 hours while the first 2 were 6 because... kept running into certain small problems (failing the "safe" test on one of the sysupdaters, while trying another got it to work on the file checker for example) I think my first 3DS... the final processes were taking so long I was up till 7-8 am (felt like I was on the homestretch forever)

And this was probably a few weeks back, which only just signed up here a few days ago, didn't need any help since... as everyone on here says, just follow the guide step by step.

And yeah, also agreeing with a few people above... it IS like charging a service, heck my dad used to try to fix the plumbing in the house himself... but every time he "fixed" it... it usually screwed up a bit later. So finally after calling a plumber to fix one problem we had with my bath tub... (faucet was leaking) they were going to charge I think at first $250'ish to fix it. My dad said they were crazy and that "he'd just look up a guide on Youtube and do it himself for free" sound familiar? hahahaha

Either way... he was glad he haggled them down to $130 because... it was definitely worth the starting price (pretty much took all day, they broke something in the faucet, and had to replace it, etc. and still ended up only costing $130 after all that hassle)

So yeah, you COULD do it yourself which... the guide that is currently up is VERY simple to follow... or... well, if the person doesn't feel comfortable enough doing it themselves, if the person they are asking is wanting to charge them, up to them if they want to take the time to do it themselves or just pay someone $20-30 for the job.

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Add me to the 'not immoral at all' club. My time is valuable, I spent the time to read guides, ask questions, and apply the knowledge, plus additional time swapping cards, copying files, making file backups. Is it difficult? Not terribly. But if someone would rather pay me to do something instead of just doing it themselves (like I and many others here did) why would I lose any sleep charging someone over it? For that matter I havent done it for anyone else, and probably wont ever, but if asked to I would.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think generally that it's not an issue if you're charging a reasonable ammount of money and mention that the tools for the process are avilable for free online. And you should definatelly donate some ammount per install to the developers. After all, no ones time is worthless, the same applies for the time of developers. but it would be unfair if you made money off of the work from other people without giving back to the creators. After all, they are who made the hacks as stable and safe as they are now.

That said, i dont feel like advertising or providing such a service myself, dont really know why.

Temarile

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ A9LH ✧゚・: *ヽ(◕ヮ◕ヽ)
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was considering offering this too. I've done my two devices and I'd like to help people set up A9LH. So if someone from the Netherlands / Belgium / Germany is too lazy or too scared to do it themselves, you can send me a message and we can arrange some stuff :)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would do it free of charge for family members and close friends. I would definitely NOT do it for strangers. I would have to charge them too much money for my time. I value my free time a lot. But good thing for strangers if some kind soul like OP want to offer the service for cheap.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would do it free of charge for family members and close friends. I would definitely NOT do it for strangers. I would have to charge them too much money for my time. I value my free time a lot. But good thing for strangers if some kind soul like OP want to offer the service for cheap.
That's normally what I do for my nearest and dearest. I only charge the ones that ask me to do it for them for whatever reason they don't want to Lol

Reactions: Dust2dust

Purge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't bother wasting hours and hours installing a9lh on a bunch of devices for some pocket money. I think I'm content with having a real job.

djorn2k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could use anyone help because a9hl is daunting process. I'm computer savvy but the backups and downgrading are making a bit nervous about bricking my son 3ds XL.

I have been reading a9hl steps but there is no video. Has anyone thought about making a video showing step by step.

Last edited by djorn2k,

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
I could use anyone help because a9hl is daunting process. I'm computer savvy but the backups and downgrading are making a bit nervous about bricking my son 3ds XL.

I have been reading a9hl steps but there is no video. Has anyone thought about making a video showing step by step.
there are videos, but they are highly outdated

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't bother wasting hours and hours installing a9lh on a bunch of devices for some pocket money. I think I'm content with having a real job.
Lol no one said anything about it being a full time gig. It really doesn't take that long when you get the process down not to mention anyone who says they wouldn't take a chance to make an extra buck these days is full of crap.

Hotice03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I am here to vouch for Majickhat55 to say that he can defiantly be trusted to help others downgrade their systems, if he didn't help me I probably wouldn't have a9lh today lol he helped me with that too. He walked me through the entire process quick and easy, he explained everything very clear, and was very easy to work with during the process. He was a huge helping when down grading helped me with both of my systems, admins of gbatemp I recommend you allow him to help others just as he did with me.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok I am here to vouch for Majickhat55 to say that he can defiantly be trusted to help others downgrade their systems, if he didn't help me I probably wouldn't have a9lh today lol he helped me with that too. He walked me through the entire process quick and easy, he explained everything very clear, and was very easy to work with during the process. He was a huge helping when down grading helped me with both of my systems, admins of gbatemp I recommend you allow him to help others just as he did with me.
Well nobody is doubting his ability and its nice to know that he a contributing/knowledgeable member, so thanks for confirming he is a helpful member. As well the staff of the site would never hinder members from helping other members. Nor stop a member from offering paid services through the site, in fact we have a thread dedicated to listing hardmod installers. So you don't have to worry about the staff causing a fuse over this members, in fact they and the rest of the site would be more than happy to see more helpful members.
Honestly, the best thing the OP can do is just simply help members on the site and word will spread that they are helpful.
Still, there is the underlining moral issue of is it ok to charge people for this service? Ultimately the guides, tools, ect. are all free and open-source. Anyone can get their hands on these tools/guides and downgrade and or install A9LH themselves. So is it morally ok for him to charge people for this process? I don't have a solid answer to that question because I've also taken payments for my hacking services (not always money.)

Reactions: Majickhat55

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well nobody is doubting his ability and its nice to know that he a contributing/knowledgeable member, so thanks for confirming he is a helpful member. As well the staff of the site would never hinder members from helping other members. Nor stop a member from offering paid services through the site, in fact we have a thread dedicated to listing hardmod installers. So you don't have to worry about the staff causing a fuse over this members, in fact they and the rest of the site would be more than happy to see more helpful members.
Honestly, the best thing the OP can do is just simply help members on the site and word will spread that they are helpful.
Still, there is the underlining moral issue of is it ok to charge people for this service? Ultimately the guides, tools, ect. are all free and open-source. Anyone can get their hands on these tools/guides and downgrade and or install A9LH themselves. So is it morally ok for him to charge people for this process? I don't have a solid answer to that question because I've also taken payments for my hacking services (not always money.)
I did try to get on the list of trusted installers but apparently they only add harmodders. Though IMO wouldn't it be better to have a list of local downgraders as well so people have a choice? If they don't have the knowledge nor the skillset, (or the time) and just wanted a downgrade vs a Hardmod I don't think it's exactly fair to say they are SOL without a hardmod or should make a new post. It would be easier for everyone to decide how they want to go about getting it done. Variety is the spice of life. As for it being moral, of course I would let people know if they didn't that the info is free. I am merely talking about people who KNOW the process and CHOOSE not to devote their time in lieu of cash or other compensation to someone who WILL.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If it's me I'd be wary of strangers from online. Someone who asked for your help could rob you or worse.
Which is why people have reviews for people they HAVE helped so you know they are trustworthy.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do it on Skype (Yes, some user ask me for hack their wii/3ds/psp) But I do it for free, the only money I ask is for resend the console.
I do it in local in my city too

Reactions: Majickhat55

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass