Hacking Load Rock Band 2 songs from USB?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
What you see in that video was made using an unreleased set of tools/tweaks/processes. These have not been made available to the public, most likely because the author is concerned that releasing it would promote DLC piracy. Short answer: unreleased, don't ask.

At present there are a couple of methods that would allow you to do something similar from SD card. There are no quick-and-easy guides for that, and those who know probably won't tell you, so you'll need to figure things out on your own.
 

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
629
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
245
Country
Colombia
Well the largest SD card I have is 2Gb, so I can only put about 150 songs in it (most are customs though, I don't have enough Wii points to buy the ones in the store), so that's why USB would be useful... guess that I'll wait for Rock Band 3, since it will most likely support SDHC cards.
 

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
wii_128 said:
Well the largest SD card I have is 2Gb, so I can only put about 150 songs in it (most are customs though, I don't have enough Wii points to buy the ones in the store), so that's why USB would be useful... guess that I'll wait for Rock Band 3, since it will most likely support SDHC cards.There is a particular brand of 4GB non-SDHC SD card that will also work. Search newegg.com for the Transcend 133x 4GB SD card.


QUOTE(OncleJulien @ Nov 2 2009, 06:49 PM) outside of his circle of friends, that is.
Which you are not a member of. No, seriously, it's under wraps. Not that I know anything.
 

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
1,170
Trophies
0
Location
Los Angeles
XP
439
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
Which you are not a member of. No, seriously, it's under wraps. Not that I know anything.
which is his right, and i am perfectly fine with that...i've simply bought as much dlc and created as many customs as my 4gb sd card can hold, and i'm watching with great curiosity the developments towards eliminating the nand and card limitations nintendo has saddled us with.

as always, thanks for your input.
 

jhoff80

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
806
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
150
Country
United States
Yeah, personally I'm not sure it'd promote piracy any more than GH5's supporting SDHC promotes piracy, but I guess that's whoever made the tools' decision to make.

I just know that there's a lot of people who have bought a bunch of RB2 DLC and are tired of swapping out SD cards or having to go to the computer and use RB2 DLC Manager to switch between their songs.

Doesn't affect me whatsoever, I've already mentioned I have the 360 Rock Band, but I know there's a lot of people who do buy their songs who would like something like this. But again, I agree that whoever made it has the right to keep their tools private.

Edit: Toned down this post based on later information.
 

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
I suppose it was more of a concept demonstration - saying it can be done.

I look forward to a release as well, but I've chatted with the author before and no one's really telling. We'll see.
 

jhoff80

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
806
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
150
Country
United States
wii_128 said:
I read something about a DLC Packer/Unpacker, but I'm not sure if it can do this (since it says nothing about USB on their site)

That was my fault probably, because I misunderstood the question. Someone asked how to run RB2 with DLC from USB, and I responded thinking they wanted a USB loader to load DLC which was stored on the SD card. That tool does serve that purpose, but can't let you run DLC off of the USB as emulated NAND.

From what I've read, you can use a modified Neogamma for NAND emulation, but Rock Band 2 gets confused and thinks there's no free memory available on the NAND and locks up, so whoever made this video and anyone else who has the same tools that are being kept private are the only ones who can get this working.
 

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
Probably the most common solution is to use the modified NAND-emulating Neogamma. This works for some people but is not perfect. The solution being worked on shouldn't require NAND emulation (more like "SD emulation").
 

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
1,077
Trophies
0
Location
Derp
Website
Visit site
XP
160
Country
United States
I thought after talking with Zapu on IRC it was more than likely going to be released. Bug testing perhaps. Or RawkSD plugins. I wouldn't know though
tongue.gif
I only talked with the guy once.
 

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
AerialX and Zapu are embroiled in testing. At the moment, the core technology seems to be working fine. AerialX has demonstrated this in a YouTube video in which he streamed custom songs for GH3 from an external USB drive.

As of last night he was bugfixing the project as it pertains to RawkSD. It is my guess that the next major RawkSD release will include the updates.

Gorilla style... like this.
 

Robotic Earthlin

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2006
Messages
103
Trophies
0
XP
144
Country
I really hope it is released. That would be awesome to load all my DLC and RawkSD songs from USB.

I was thinking about buying a 4GB SD card to replace my 2GB one, but I think I'll hold off and see what comes of this.
biggrin.gif


Out of curiosity, anyone happen to know if he's running RB2 from USB or disc in that video?

Also I wonder if the reason he's only playing vocals is just because of convenience or because he hasn't gotten the instruments to work yet.
 

jhoff80

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
806
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
150
Country
United States
Yeah, if it's going to be released and is just being tested currently, that makes much more sense to have the video than if it's just going to be permanently kept secret.
biggrin.gif
 

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
1,077
Trophies
0
Location
Derp
Website
Visit site
XP
160
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
AerialX and Zapu are embroiled in testing. At the moment, the core technology seems to be working fine. AerialX has demonstrated this in a YouTube video in which he streamed custom songs for GH3 from an external USB drive.

As of last night he was bugfixing the project as it pertains to RawkSD. It is my guess that the next major RawkSD release will include the updates.

Gorilla style... like this.

That's kind of what I wanted to say, but I wasn't sure if Aaron wanted people really knowing yet. After all- I think he was kind of shocked that they actually came out and talked about it with us. But yeah, that's what I pretty much got.

Also:

QUOTEBe sure that it will work with all existing DLC and RawkSD.

Pretty sure he said that.
 

tueidj

I R Expert
Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
2,569
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
999
Country
Hey let's all post some inaccurate information.

My roommate's girlfriend's uncle's drycleaner's postman found an ocarina code to remap the NAND host register to the SD register, and that's how this video was done. It has nothing to do with RawkSD (notice there are no RawkSD songs in the list?)
QUOTE said:
What you see in that video was made using an unreleased set of tools/tweaks/processes.It used ciosr14, no secret tools. What the video doesn't show is the ridiculous loading times, online fail, savegame fail, occasional controller fail, and complete lack of working customs.
QUOTE said:
Be sure that it will work with all existing DLC and RawkSD.Lies. It won't work with all existing DLC.
QUOTE said:
AerialX has demonstrated this in a YouTube video in which he streamed custom songs for GH3 from an external USB drive.
That's something different that replaces files on the disc.
QUOTE
Also I wonder if the reason he's only playing vocals is just because of convenience or because he hasn't gotten the instruments to work yet.
Read the video information, he says it was late and other people were sleeping.
 

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
673
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Uni
Website
Visit site
XP
80
Country
United States
Aaaand here comes tueidj to rain on peoples' parades.

The original video is not wholly related to the work which I was discussing. I think people would be more interested in the possibility of an actual tested release.

As I personally wasn't clear on what Zapu had done in the video, I made some approximations. It is still true that the method used in the video is not publicized, packages, or linked in a guide.

AerialX has confirmed via chat that the USB file streaming for GH3 customs was made possible by some of the same core work that will allow the loading from USB in potential future releases.

As for RawkSD/DLC use - I've heard nothing confirming that this will even be compatible with DLC, but it is a logical followup possibility.
 

happydance

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2009
Messages
598
Trophies
0
XP
349
Country
from what i have tested.. it saves and loads fine, but kidda slow, almost thougt i crash but it still saves.

just tried it out on some customs, but customs don't show on emulated nand just bought dlc. but to my surprice the SD cards also works

so i just put my dlc on the nand (just quite a few won't even reach the 2 gig limit) and my customs on a 2 gig sd.

i don't think it will lead to piracy since i can get most of my customs on frets on fire or scorehero no need to buy or get all dlc since only a selected few that are you really gonna play

pointless to get all dlc in nand but worth it to get all you customs work
 

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2007
Messages
811
Trophies
0
Location
on the wheel
Website
Visit site
XP
1,290
Country
United States
Szalkow said:
wii_128 said:
Well the largest SD card I have is 2Gb, so I can only put about 150 songs in it (most are customs though, I don't have enough Wii points to buy the ones in the store), so that's why USB would be useful... guess that I'll wait for Rock Band 3, since it will most likely support SDHC cards.
There is a particular brand of 4GB non-SDHC SD card that will also work. Search newegg.com for the Transcend 133x 4GB SD card.

I have this card and it doesn't work in RB2. Is there something special that needs to be done for it to work?
 

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
194
Trophies
0
Location
Ontario
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
151
Country
Canada
gratefulbuddy said:
Szalkow said:
wii_128 said:
Well the largest SD card I have is 2Gb, so I can only put about 150 songs in it (most are customs though, I don't have enough Wii points to buy the ones in the store), so that's why USB would be useful... guess that I'll wait for Rock Band 3, since it will most likely support SDHC cards.
There is a particular brand of 4GB non-SDHC SD card that will also work. Search newegg.com for the Transcend 133x 4GB SD card.

I have this card and it doesn't work in RB2. Is there something special that needs to be done for it to work?
Place it in the Wii *after* RB2 has started (say, during the splash screens).
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Actually doing awesome lol