Hacking Load GCOS - boot GC backups?

Totakeke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any Wii version of GCOS that allows booting GC backups without a modchip? I know the GC versions don't work because the Wii has an entirely new DVD drive... Anyone know if a version has been made specifically for the Wii DVD drive?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
arctic_flame said:
More concisely, there is no way to bypass the drive check in software on the Wii.
Well you could maybe flash the drivechip. But you cant do that inside the wii menu. And that would require you to solder a lot of wires to the drivechip just do a flash. Then a modchip would allways be cheaper and MUCH more easier.

TaxiTitan

Trophies
XP
Country
superrob said:
You cant.
Recordable DVD's are "burned" with a laser.

Retail games is pressed on the disc.

Which makes it imposiple to make a copy without a modchip.

Not sure, but Ive seen a swaptrick for GC backups on wii only (not wii games) on youtube. check it out.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
TaxiTitan said:
superrob said:
You cant.

Not sure, but Ive seen a swaptrick for GC backups on wii only (not wii games) on youtube. check it out.
Nope youre wrong.
Its for booting other region games than your own.
However it was patched in 3.0 or was it 2.3 however its gone and not very usefull.

Arakon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
besides, GCOS is still gamecube homebrew, even in the "wii version". you can't launch GC homebrew from channels.

Totakeke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superrob said:
TaxiTitan said:
superrob said:
You cant.

Nope youre wrong.
Its for booting other region games than your own.
However it was patched in 3.0 or was it 2.3 however its gone and not very usefull.

Sorry but if he's wrong then what the heck is this?
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=15482

Clearly, on the GameCube it is possible to run burned backups without a modchip.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good luck finding a Max Drive Pro
rolleyes.gif

Totakeke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a Max Drive Pro. I was just wondering if there was a way I could use this same method on my Wii instead of having to keep my GC hooked up to play GC backups. Apparently there isn't one for the Wii, only for the GameCube. Nintendo removed the debug command from the Wii that was used in the GC to load burned backups without a modchip.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Totakeke said:
I already have a Max Drive Pro. I was just wondering if there was a way I could use this same method on my Wii instead of having to keep my GC hooked up to play GC backups. Apparently there isn't one for the Wii, only for the GameCube. Oh well.

I don't think that method works on the Wii anyway, seeing as the blocked all the old Action replay discs.

superrob said:
QUOTE(arctic_flame @ Apr 26 2008, 08:54 PM) More concisely, there is no way to bypass the drive check in software on the Wii.
Well you could maybe flash the drivechip. But you cant do that inside the wii menu. And that would require you to solder a lot of wires to the drivechip just do a flash. Then a modchip would allways be cheaper and MUCH more easier.

Way to... reaffirm what I said? Not in software.
Also, I believe the drive controller contains only ROM, and can't be reflashed. But it can be completely bypassed, like how the D2CKey works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL