load gamecube backups from USB?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tylerzentz, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. tylerzentz
    OP

Member tylerzentz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i understand it is impossible to play gamecube backups from a USB device because once the wii enters gamecube mode, it disables all of its wii hardware that isnt meant to be used by the gamecube (i.e. USB slots). Would it be possible to create a cMIOS that can have USB functionality? Because from what i understand about custom IOSs and custom MIOSs is that they are modified versions of the originals that have better funcionality. would this be feasable?

2. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Technically speaking it could be possible BUT it would require alot of modification to work.

3. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    As it stands now, not really. Gamecube compatibility mode goes on, USB/BT goes off. This is a feature of the hardware, not the software. The only way that I can think of around this would be to create something like a MIOS that doesn't actually go into GC mode, just emulates it. I don't know if the Wii has the horsepower to do that, though.

4. nikeymikey

Member nikeymikey Waiting for SALT to rescue the Wii U Scene!!

United Kingdom
    If u wanna play GC Isos then go buy yourself a W.O.D.E modchip, currently the only way to play GC Isos from usb.

5. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    This is a total shot in the dark, as I have only a basic understanding of the Wii hardware, and I'm no coder, but wouldn't it be possible (granted, also a lot of effort) to create an IOS that reinterprets the Gamecube game's calls to the addresses and commands of the hardware in Wii mode? It would create bugs, but it would be A method to get this working. Of course, interpretation could be done via hardware by intercepting calls (which could suck down a lot of power), or could be run on a Computer, which would patch the ISO as it's written to a hard drive (be it WBFS or some other format).

Yet again, all theoretical, with NO basis in fact at all, so it's likely I'm talking out of my ass.

6. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    From what I understand, a custom MIOS or IOS wouldn't suffice. Of course, a custom MIOS would be required to re-interpret the disc read commands, but in addition to that, a custom BC would certainly be required, as it is BC which puts the Wii into GameCube mode. Modifying BC is probably very dangerous and/or hard, since it messes directly with the hardware (underclocking the CPU, disabling most of the hardware). I don't think that any coders have ever looked into BC much, it's still pretty much a mystery to most.

7. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Isn't it possible to convert a gamecube iso to a wii iso? Just like converting a snes game into a nds rom?

8. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    that's hardly impossible,even from SNES to nds,its not possible,you would have to port the entire game from scratch to do that,some exceptions,but in this case that would be it

9. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    He's thinking of embedding a SNES rom into an NDS file with its emulator

10. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    The MIOS does not handle the disc reading!

11. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    we all should start working on converting GC isos to Wii isos. all we have to do is contact the developers of the games, get the source, and rewrite the entire thing! brilliant.

if gc usb loading happens, it happens, i doubt it will but if anyone does it, it will be all over the place

12. Helsionium

Austria
    Oh yeah I forgot that the GC didn't have anything like thie IOS. So the games handle the disc reading themselves, which doesn't make it any easier for a potential GC USB loader. I assume it could be patched somehow on-the-fly, the GC games use library functions for disc reading. So if the DVD module of the library hasn't changed significantly during the lifetime of the GameCube, these patches could actually be rather easy. I guess the main problem still is BC.

BTW, what's MIOS, then? GC games have no need for an IOS, so is MIOS simply the GameCube IPL or a modified version of it?

13. WiiPower

Germany
    I'm not sure, but i think BC goes into GC mode, and the MIOS is the code that boots the main.dol.

14. number78

Newcomer number78 Newbie

Australia
    If someone could isolate the Disc Channel part of System Menu, could you create an ISO that contains that and the GC in a wrapper, than place that on the USB HD. Then again, I guess if you could do that, you could re-write the CD-DRIVE commands and wouldn't bother...

15. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  16. Helsionium

Austria
    That's what I thought too, but do you know what a custom MIOS does that the official MIOS doesn't? Does it only read the main.dol from backup discs or does it apply on-the-fly patches as well? If it does, custom MIOS would need only minor tweaks to support USB loading. If our theory is correct, only BC stands between us and GC USB loading now, but I think no one ever tried messing with BC, it's probably very difficult.

17. WiiPower

Germany
    I don't know if the cpu speed is directly combined on hardware level to the mode(wii/gc). If yes, gc usb launching would only work on increased speed or would be really difficult(insert slowdowns).

The cMIOS does allow reading DVD-R(similiar to what DVDX does) and then boots the gc loader. And the gc loader is similar to a wii game loader and patches the main.dol for the dvd reading commands.

We need a good hacker to try to do whatever BC does, but not disabling the wii hardware. But this approach is too easy, so it's either impossible, or there's nobody in the scene capable of it.

18. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    how would somebody even start looking at the bc source code its not freely available of course but does nusd download it or does nusd download binaries

19. Helsionium

Austria
    Well, there's no source code available for IOS, MIOS or boot2 either. It must be disassembled first, and although I'm a programmer, I don't have any idea of ASM, nor am I particularly skilled in C coding, which is necessary for programming on the Wii. I guess that most of those who are skillfull enough to create a custom BC wouldn't do that anyway because of their stance against piracy, and there is no legitimate reason for a custom BC.

20. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I like this topic. It's hard to find any discussion about what's actually going on when the console goes into GCN mode, or what "GCN mode" even consists of.