load BootMii backup after formatting

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by rederci939, Aug 20, 2012.

Aug 20, 2012
  1. rederci939
    OP

Newcomer rederci939 Member

United States
    Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but I just want to be sure. I'm just paranoid.

If I format my Wii, and then use BootMii to load a backup made pre-formatting, I will still have all the stuff that was on the Wii memory, right? (e.g. Miis, save data, shop channel data, etc.)

2. osm70

Member osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Czech Republic
    Your wii will be completely restored to state before formatting.

3. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Yes. Restoring a bootmii nand restores EVERYTHING to the point of the backup. Most likely even up and including the system date.

Of course, this begs the question: why format your system memory to begin with? From what I've heard, it doesn't even do that thoroughly to begin with.

Final note: having a bootmii nand is nice, but restoring it is considered a last resort for a reason.
    And formatting the system memory...I honestly cannot think of a single reason to ever do that. Not even for those who don't want to softmod their wii.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Formatting forces the wii to register new credentials for WC24 authentication with nintendo. This means if you format your wii and then restore an old backup, you may end up unable to use mail, the news and/or weather channels, the nintendo channel, the shop channel, registering new friends, and anything else that relies on being able to login to WC24. On the other hand if you're unable to do any of these things formatting your wii may fix the problem.