Gaming Linux with 802.11g drivers?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Last time I looked into installing Linux on my machine none of them worked with 802.11g cards straight out of the box, unless of course I just didn't look hard enough. Does anyone know if there is one?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ndiswrapper confused the crap out of me. My friends got it to work but i couldn't. Never seen wireless g linux compatible ones.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I thought, I was just hoping that a build had come out since I last looked that had wireless g out of the box so to speak.

furbyhaterex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
It would be useful if you'd tell us which distro and kernel version you're using.

First, you need to know which wireless chipset you have. For a pci card, type "lspci|less" and look for an entry with "wireless" or something similar in it. For an usb card, replace lspci with lsusb.
Then start googling "your wireless chipset linux" (for me, "bcm4306 linux") or "your wireless chipset your distro". Then work on from there (for me, I had to download "b43-fwcutter" to acquire the firmware necessary to make my wireless card work).
If your card isn't supported (no reverse-engineered drivers), delve into ndiswrapper.

I wish you luck ;-)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently, wireless support in Linux has got a lot better. All of my PCI wireless cards have worked out of the box.

I don't subscribe to USB wireless.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
furbyhaterex said:
It would be useful if you'd tell us which distro and kernel version you're using.

First, you need to know which wireless chipset you have. For a pci card, type "lspci|less" and look for an entry with "wireless" or something similar in it. For an usb card, replace lspci with lsusb.
Then start googling "your wireless chipset linux" (for me, "bcm4306 linux") or "your wireless chipset your distro". Then work on from there (for me, I had to download "b43-fwcutter" to acquire the firmware necessary to make my wireless card work).
If your card isn't supported (no reverse-engineered drivers), delve into ndiswrapper.

I wish you luck ;-)

I don't actually have one installed, I was just thinking about it. I've only got a wireless connection though and I really want to be able to just install it and go. I'm not the most technically minded of people.

QUOTE(arctic_flame @ May 21 2008, 03:42 PM) Recently, wireless support in Linux has got a lot better. All of my PCI wireless cards have worked out of the box.

Which version are you using? I use a PCI card as well, it would be ideal if I could just install it and everything is ready to go.

furbyhaterex

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Sorry, I slightly misunderstood the question...

You have to find out which chipset your wireless card has and check if your choosen distro supports it. Most PCI cards are suppported.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
TrolleyDave said:
arctic_flame said:
Recently, wireless support in Linux has got a lot better. All of my PCI wireless cards have worked out of the box.

Which version are you using? I use a PCI card as well, it would be ideal if I could just install it and everything is ready to go.

xubuntu 2.6.24-16-generic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Is anyone familiar with former forum opg.life ? I missed the transition to the new forum over...