Linksy's Etherfast 10/100 5-Port WorkGroup Switch?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Devin, May 15, 2010.

May 15, 2010
  1. Devin
    OP

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    If you can help thanks. Well, I bought one of these, hoping that I could connect my computer, and XBOX 360 to the internet at the same time. Here's what I'm trying to do.....

I have a router, that uses a standard TV coax cable. (I have Comcast internet) So, basically you connect the coax cable, to the router, and it the outputs a internet connection, via ethernet cable. I'm trying to connect, the router to the Workgroup switch, and then connect the XBOX 360, and my PC to the workgroup switch as well.

Is this possible? I've tried it, and it's either the XBOX 360, get the internet connection, and the PC doesn't, and vice versa. Any help?

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Shouldn;t be a problem, hooking up the router/internet rj45 to the uplink port and the PC and xbox to the other ethernet ports should share the internet connection (assuming it is a gateway/router).

3. Devin
    OP

United States
  4. Scorpei

Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    You might need to change some settings in the switch/router (I dont mean your motorola device)

5. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    @Scorpei,

perfect picture. [​IMG]

I have a setup that is similar. My ATT Uverse has a built in gateway(router), so the ATT modem serves as a router. And I have a powerline ehternet adapter (ethernet thru powerline) going from the router to my upstairs. upstairs, the powerline adapter is hooked up to a switch, that gives internet to my xbox, tv, and computer.

so your setup should definitely work.

6. Devin
    OP

United States
    Meh.....

Can one of you link me to how I would change the settings? I bought it used, and it came with no installation disc. I searched the Linksy's webpage, and still nothing. Oh, and which port it the WLAN port? All I have is....

Port's 1,2,3,4,5, and Uplink.

7. KDH

Member KDH GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Uplink is the WAN port.

As for how to change settings, you need to know the switch's IP address. That could be tricky; since you bought it second hand, it might have been changed. Here are a couple of way to find it:

> There is a way in Windows (XP, Vista, and 7) to show web configurable devices in Network Places, but I can't remember how to do it.

> If you use Linux/Mac OS X you can use traceroute to find it.

You'll need to hook it up and get an internet connection on your PC (through the switch) for either method to work.

8. Devin
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] I'm using a Windows PC running Windows XP.

9. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    You're trying to use a router and a router..
    Yea, I know it says switch, but it's just some router:
    And that's just not gonna work.

Unless you disable DHCP on the second router.
    That's prolly gonna be the solution to ur problem.

10. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You have a workgroup switch there, not a second router as other seem to think.

If only one device gets a valid IP address when connected to the cable modem - the cable modem is set in "single user" mode (it may not be possible to change that, be a pretty crappy show if that's the case though) - you need to get into the cable modem and change that to multiuser mode so it allocates IP addresses to multiple devices simultaneously.

11. Scorpei

Netherlands
    He indeed seems to have a switch rather then a router (missed that bit [​IMG]). What if he just sets up static IPs?

12. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Probably work for local communication but not for internet - usually when devices like that are in single user mode they just "clone" the external address to the internal device (since there's no other device there's no need for NAT...).

If the OP can get in to the web interface of the cable modem, the setting is usually blindingly obvious. If not then the right solution is to get a router (then the external IP will be cloned on to the WAN interface of the router and the router will act exactly as we all expect)