Line Rider 2: Unbound font hack.

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Vague Rant, Oct 5, 2008.

Oct 5, 2008
  1. Vague Rant
    OP

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Anyone who's played Line Rider 2: Unbound knows that the font ("Komika") is unusually, spectacularly awful. Because of this, I decided I'd bust it open and see if I could make it any better. Turns out, I truly could not, I made a pretty awful choice of font ("Georgia"), but at least I wasn't paid to make this particular decision. Still, I figured I may as well upload it anyway, on the off-chance that somebody cares.

So here's some before and after shots:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Now, I did leave some Komika in there, mainly because I never actually encountered it in-game (thought I'm far from finished with it, and probably won't ever bother to finish it either). I also don't really plan to ever update this again unless I actually do encounter the leftover Komika, or if I notice any major issues anywhere.

Feel free to tell me you think it looks awful, I won't disagree.

There was really no actual hacking done here; I just used OpenOffice for screencapping characters, MS Paint for arranging them in a tilemap, and DarthNemesis's NFTR editor (see topic) to overwrite three of the four included Komika fonts (different sizes are stored separately). More time consuming than actually difficult; could be done by anybody with zero hacking experience.

Patch is here, use XDelta for patching.

2. Hybridx24

Member Hybridx24 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If the picture on the right is the "After" one, I'm so going for it. Thanks. [​IMG]

3. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Thanks, Vague Rant. Yes, original game font is little annoying. xD

4. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    I don't like this font, it doesn't fit well with the game.... It's.. .i'll say TOO formal.

5. jaywilson

Member jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    sorrry to bring up an old topic but i cant seem to patch it.
    when i opend xdelta.exe it open cmd type window then it dispears

i tryed draging the georgiarider patch on to it but my computer just beeeped
    i alos tryed googling how to patch but had no luck learning how

6. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    Here's a quick batch file. Decompress this where there your rom and patch are. Oh, and you still need "georgiarider.pat". Put everything (nds pat exe bat) in one folder. Don't forget to Drag and Drop.

Original batch made by DarthNemesis. All I do is edit a linetwo lines. (oops) [​IMG]