Lil scared to softmod a wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by shadow100z, Mar 20, 2011.

Mar 20, 2011
  1. shadow100z
    OP

Member shadow100z GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The Wii is new to me, i have been searching all kinds of forums and sites in regards to it. In a week my little girl if gonna get a new black wii for her birthday. I will probably use modmii to do the softmod with the SSBB exploit.
    Since this is a new wii i know bootmii as a boot 2 is impossible. So that worries me a little.

I know quite a fair bit about computers and in the past i have moded other systems but nothing dealing with system files.
    I have downloaded modmii and ran through the steps a few times jus to see what is involved and to get use it.

I only wants the wii to load a few games of a usb hard drive thats all. no special themes, no emulators, no extra stuff. I can use my Homebuilt HTPC for that stuff.

So what do you think the chances of me bricking my wii? I'm a little scared to try it because i never moded a wii before but i feels like i can do it no problem.

If i gets the system set up and running go i'm not gonna add any extra features to it so no other wads instaled What are the chances the system files getting curropted if you have the brick protection via Priiloader installed. And do i even still need this program.?

2. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As long as you follow ModMii's steps you should be fine. Especially with what you want to do, you shouldn't be touching important files at all. Just adding HBC and BootMii/IOS, and then installing a cIOS or two.

3. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You've got nothing to worry about. Just follow modmii's instructions to setup USB loading and you have next to nothing of a chance of bricking.

4. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Modmii......
    The greatest Wii hacking device for windows ever!

5. F. Lobot

Member F. Lobot GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just FYI emulators are probably the least dangerous of all the homebrew you mentioned, so I'd give it another thought. The Wii remote is perfect for NES games.

6. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    Thats good to know. a few question with the set up though.

1. This runs the Hackmii Installer (and silently/automatically installs BootMii as IOS). Use the installer to install the Homebrew Channel (HBC) and Bootmii as Boot2 if possible. If you cannot install BootMii as Boot2, you also need to 'prepare an SD Card' for BootMii (as the 'BootMii' folder is required to launch BootMii as IOS or Boot2).

It says bootmii will automatically be installed as ios. but then it says that "if you cannot install bootmii as boot2 you also need to prepare an sd card for bootmii"
    I'm a little confused on this part.

2. how rarly do the HBC gets installed as somethig other than "IOS58"

3. 3) INSTALL A PATCHED IOS236
    ========================

Start the Homebrew Channel.

VERY IMPORTANT!
    In the Homebrew channel, if you do not have a working internet connection already set up, you will see an icon flashing in the bottom right corner of the screen indicating its inability to initialize the network. You MUST wait for the icon to stop flashing OR let it flash for 30-60 seconds before proceeding otherwise these apps will error shortly after being launched. If you encounter this harmless error, power off the Wii and repeat this step from the beginning. To increase your chances of success, add a working internet connection to your Wii via the official Wii Settings Menu, but be sure to say "No" when asked to perform an update.

I don't plan on using a internet connection, i can though if it would help to protect aganist bricks or what not. But if everything is set up and running i plan to keep the wii off line and not connected at all.

4. PRIILOADER,, heard some good things about this and heard some bad things. Would love to install this but seen a few treads that this bricks the wii.

5. Your unique list of wads to install are as follows:

* IOS11v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS20v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS30v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS50v14889(IOS50v4889[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS60v16174(IOS60v6174[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS70v16687(IOS70v6687[FS-ES-NP])
    * IOS80v6944[FS-ES-NP]
    * cIOS202[57]-v5
    * cIOS223[37-38]-v4
    * cIOS222[38]-v5
    * cIOS224[57]-v5
    * cIOS249[56]-v21d2x3
    * cIOS250[57]-v21d2x3
    * RVL-cmios-v4_WiiGator_GCBL_v0.2
    * IOS58-64-v6176
    * USBLoader(s)-ahbprot58-SD-USB-v9-IDCL
    This is a forwarder channel that will load the first file it finds from the following list:
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.dol
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader\boot.elf
    SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.dol
    SD+USB:\apps\usb-loader\boot.elf
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.dol
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_cfg\boot.elf
    SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.dol
    SD+USB:\apps\WiiFlow\boot.elf
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.dol
    SD+USB:\apps\usbloader_gx\boot.elf
    Notes: IOS58 is required to launch apps from an SD Card and hard drives formatted as
    FAT32, NTFS, ext2, ext3 and ext4. It also supports meta.xml arguments
    and is able to launch apps with direct hardware access.
    You should always have at least one forwarder channel installed on your Wii,
    that way, in the event of accidental update, you will be able to rehack your Wii without relying on a disc based exploit

This is all i ever plan on putting on the wii nothing else so should be ok?

ModMii's "File Cleanup" Feature is this safe to use? have it been none to delete any required files?

sorry for all the question, noobie here to the wii.

I rather so a hardmod "modchip" (did 20 or so ps2 slims and fat with no problems) but i heard a softmod is the best for a wii.

I own a copy of SSBB also, if moded should i keep it or sell it?

7. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    For emulators i already have it set up on my built theater pc with a corresponding controller for each one. "usb nes controller, snes usb controller, usb n64 controller and the list goes on" So all of my emulation should be good for the pc. Also got a bunch of emulators for my ps2 to thats hardmoded and soft moded. same for the dsl.
    Just wants to pay backup games o the wii thats all. don't need no homebrew channel, weather etc. The wii is gonna be for a 5 year old kid, and possible her mother. but all online stuff she would her one of her laptops.

8. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    good luck and enjoy!

9. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the reply. i'm thinking i'm looking to deep into this guide and thinking it's harder than what it seems.

So i do not need to prepare a bootmii on a sd card it should be already done?

and the ios58 should be on all new wiis so i should not need to reinstall the hbc.

so from the wads in the list the only system one that would be changed is IOS80?? The rest are just added?

Now after the wii is moded can the sd card be taken out and left out of the wii or is needed to run.
    All of the .dols ad elf files which are used to run apps are stored on the usb harddrive or sd card right?
    Are game files still stored on the s card?

Thanks for all the help you guys are doing, really putting my mind at ease.

10. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    SD card can be left in, if you still want to run stuff from HBC, like different apps, or loaders that look to the SD card first.
    Or you can install a channel wad that will put the loader on your wii menu, with no SD card required. Neogamma will work, there are wad files for neogamma in the forums. You'll need multi-mod manager to install wads.
    all the files that modmii put on the sd card can be deleted safely also....
    game files/saves are stored in system, not sd.
    as long as you follow the self-generated guide by modmii, you'll be fine. I still use it to this day for wii hacking, updating, etc...
    Dont let the ios's and such get to you, the guide you follow is easy as hell and its all accomplished in about 10 minutes, if that.
    If your getting a black wii, you'll most likely NEED to do USB loading, as the new wii's WILL NOT READ BURNED DISCS. so neogamma is out. My usb loader is Configurable usb loader, its included in modmii, just another option to run, but worth it.
    you'll also NEED: Wii Backup Manager, a external usb drive, 320GB will suffice, 50 bucks, and you can install your games either by renting originals and copying to wii ext drive, DL and transfer from PC to Wii.

11. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    yeah i know the black wii has a dvd reader that can only read special dvd, so playing burnt dvd's is outta the question unless i want to take the thing apart and install a new drive. But not going to for sure. Playing of a harddrive is the way to go these days anyway. Thats what i got done for my ps2 slim. well kinda plays games on a usb hdd over a network. Prob gonna get a 500 gb hdd for the wii. There isn't much differance in price for a 320 and a 500 gb. matter of 15 bucks or so.
    Now what format do the wii use the best Fat32 or ntsf. I know some wii's had to use a different format all together but it got support for fat32 and ntsf now? I'd prob go with fat32 though if had a choice.
    You mentioned a wii backup manager? whats that for? Backing up games? or a tool to put the games on the drive. I'd prob just get the games of the net. That shouldn't be to hard. My dvd drive cannot rip games.

What type of formats can the wii read. I got my douths it can read .iso.
    Also i have read that certain games needs certain ios's to run. Do Modmii take care of most of them or do i need to install them.

12. XFlak

Canada
    dude, do me a favour, run ModMii now, u don't even need to download any files if u want, but run it

go through the wizard, tell it that you're wii is a virgin, and answer the questions, when it asks if u want to set up a USB-Loader, and say yes, continue to answer the questions. During the menu's half of your questions will be answered. Then, at the ModMii Wizard confirmation window, type "G" to generate your guide without downloading anything, then read the guide that is made, and it will answer the other half of your questions. It's really simple dude, u seem intelligent and I'm sure if u read through the guide u will be just fine. You're first time through the process, it may take u an hour or so to mod your Wii, but your second time it will take no time at all. But since you're doing all ur HW now, u'll probably whip through the process real quick especially if u read through your custom ModMii guide like I recommended above.

And yes, ModMii does it all, it will take u from A to Z. When you're done, u r good to start making and playing backups of your games using a USB HDD. If u want to use your wii as a media player or run emulators, go to ModMii's download page 2 and download the "J"ust for fun apps. No risk in running these homebrew

13. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    lol i would run the mod now but the wife got the wii wrapped up for my lil girls birthday lol next week. so, after that i'll c what i can do when it comes to modin it. It can't be that hard. ii got a week so i figured i'd try and get as much info i can about it. never really kept up with th wii, mostly the ds actually. If it wasn't for my lil girl i wouldn't care about it so much.

I really wish i could of got an older wii though pre 2008 so i could put bootmii on boot2. who knows latter in the future ya smart guys would come up with something boot2 for the newer wii's.

Thanks for all ya help though esp u xflak

14. XFlak

Canada
    dude, ModMii runs on your PC, you don't need your wii to build your guide or DL your files.
    Instead of asking these questions, just read through the guide and then ask any questions u still have left [​IMG]

and as long as ur not beta testing random dangerous apps, u don't need bootmii @ boot2 to be damn near unbrickable, so I wouldn't worry

cheers m8
    and good luck [​IMG]

15. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    i ran modmii on my pc a few times checking it out and making the guide. thats where i copied and pasted a few questions from. the txt doc that was created was the same as the you you posted in the forum with a few parts cut out of course. I was just curious about a few of the steps.
    After reading around the board a few time and checking out other stickies i'm stating to get to know how most of this work and what the files are and what they are for.
    lol lil shame to say but i never even played a wii before, so the wii is new to me. But i usually catch on fast after figuring out the basics. Just read a few bad forums that got me a lil worried thats all.
    Only gonna stick the basic usb loader on this thing ad leave it as that. no themes or anything else that not included in your package. I don't see the need for it.
    Thanks again though. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. armand66

armand66 Newbie

17. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    been reading around the forums and it seems that you can have the drive partitioned as fat32 and still install/convert the games as wbfs format.

I really didn't think that a pc dvd drive could read wii's games. only if you had a special type of dvd rom.

And it should not be to hard for me anyway. all i got t do is get a fairly large usb drive, or a hard druve with an ide or sata to usb connection (usb 2.0 high speed of course) format it to fat32, create a folder there called WBFS, download and install the Backup program. slect the iso file and then install as WBFS. Which should reduce the size of the game by removing all of the junk that nintendo puts on it's dvd to fill it to 4.7GB. It's verry similar to what i do for my PS2 with usb extreme.

18. fattest

Member fattest GBAtemp Fan

United States
    use wii backup manager to convert the iso to wbfs and keep only the game partition. its in the backup loaders forum.

19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Just to clarify, I wish to add a point. If you use FAT32 or NTFS, Wii Game/Backup Manager will trim your whatever wii game.iso files into *.wbfs files, which trim the garbage data out of the iso. Your USB loader will detect these ^.wbfs files as games, just like an iso, and run them the same way. If you know about the 4gb file size limitation on a FAT32 filesystem, the Wii Game/Backup managers can split files automatically, creating a *.wbfs and a *.wbf1 file. Your USB loader will still play THESE games no differently.

I would recommend you use FAT32. Has worked the best for me so far.

20. shadow100z
    OP

Canada
    well today was my littles girls birthday, so i got access to the wii. At first i let her play around with it of course. She was playing the Dora big adventure game or something, and them she finally fell asleep. So then i got at moding.
    "Easy as H-ll" the longest part was just backing up the nand. and the letting it double check it. I had a lil problem INSTALL A PATCHED IOS236 but that is because i kept the WiFi off. I didn't want to type in all my wpa key. Esp with the weird characters i have on it. I have neighbors that like to poke around wifi's.
    After a few restarts and it worked.
    Thanks everyone.
    Sad part though as of right now i only have a 27gb harddrive but soon gonna get another one i guess.

On a new wii system i have been told there is a file or channel that should be deleted because it just a movie and takes up quite a bit of space. what is it??
    Thanks again