Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
teq said:
jbloggs said:
Lookie401 said:
Yes it's ridiculous people are saying that playing a "DVD-Video" will wear out the laser but not a "Wii Game Disc" because the laser is constantly reading the data off a DVD-Video. Yeah, I'm sure games like MP3, SSBB, MKWii loads everything into memory including stream VIDEOS and AUDIOS/MUSIC.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this is great. I wish the next "fix/feature" is a functional DVD menus and browsing using the wiimote to point-and-click. Not all manufacture/pressed DVD mastered the main movie on title 1 *coughsonycoughdisneycough*.

My understanding was that the Wii Drive was calibrated for reading Wii Games and that the Wii drive is not contantly running as it reads the necessary parts of the game into memory. In anycase only time will tell if this actually harms the Wii drive in the long run. By the way, that's a nasty 'cough' you 've got there, you should get it looked at
biggrin.gif

This ability to play DVDs from Wii is great in terms of development on the Wii, not really useful if you already have dedicated DVD player which also play Divx/Xvid files. What I would really like to see the development of using the Wii as a media streamer from the PC, that would be awsome.

Once and for all, the Wii's drive is no different mechanically than a drive you'd find in your computer, DVD player, or any other console.

All DVD drives operate the same way on a low level scale. In fact, the key components of all brands of DVD drives are manufactured in the SAME facility.

To say one disc will wear it out before another would be like saying one pair of tires will wear out an engine faster than another.

I'm sure you are correct, but then I wonder why is it you can't dump games to pc using any DVD Drive but only works with Wii Drive or the limited LG DVD Rom Drives?

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Because most drives have a firmware that rejects discs they don't recognise, and you can't override this check. However, the LG drives have a set of debug commands that allow for raw reads of the disc, regardless of what disc it is.

priapism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a Wii with a Modchip installed. i am running firmware version 3.3U.

if i install Patchmii will i be able to play trucha signed discs without running them through Geckoos?

also, if something were to go wrong with Libdi or Patchmii can i uninstall them? how would i do this?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
jbloggs said:
Lookie401 said:
Yes it's ridiculous people are saying that playing a "DVD-Video" will wear out the laser but not a "Wii Game Disc" because the laser is constantly reading the data off a DVD-Video. Yeah, I'm sure games like MP3, SSBB, MKWii loads everything into memory including stream VIDEOS and AUDIOS/MUSIC.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, this is great. I wish the next "fix/feature" is a functional DVD menus and browsing using the wiimote to point-and-click. Not all manufacture/pressed DVD mastered the main movie on title 1 *coughsonycoughdisneycough*.

My understanding was that the Wii Drive was calibrated for reading Wii Games and that the Wii drive is not contantly running as it reads the necessary parts of the game into memory. In anycase only time will tell if this actually harms the Wii drive in the long run. By the way, that's a nasty 'cough' you 've got there, you should get it looked at
biggrin.gif

This ability to play DVDs from Wii is great in terms of development on the Wii, not really useful if you already have dedicated DVD player which also play Divx/Xvid files. What I would really like to see the development of using the Wii as a media streamer from the PC, that would be awsome.

Once and for all, the Wii's drive is no different mechanically than a drive you'd find in your computer, DVD player, or any other console.

All DVD drives operate the same way on a low level scale. In fact, the key components of all brands of DVD drives are manufactured in the SAME facility.

To say one disc will wear it out before another would be like saying one pair of tires will wear out an engine faster than another.

So does that mean that in all technicality, the Wii should be able to handle CD's (Compact Disc). I'm trying to find this out because it would be awesome to have a working Dreamcast, PS One and Saturn emulator (s) that read disc burned with the respective ISO images.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
teq said:
jbloggs said:
Lookie401 said:
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

So does that mean that in all technicality, the Wii should be able to handle CD's (Compact Disc). I'm trying to find this out because it would be awesome to have a working Dreamcast, PS One and Saturn emulator (s) that read disc burned with the respective ISO images.

According to Marcan, the drive cannot read CDs...

http://hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-d...r/#comment-2655

@Whibo
Reading any kind of CDs is totally impossible with the Wii’s optical drive. It does not have the required hardware components.

eliter1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been working for me like a charm, I have yet to try a DVD that doesn't work. I have a NTSC Wii with 3.3 on it. Seems most people are having issues related to them not reading all the facts correctly like which types of DVD's are supported and also PAL Wii's seem to have more issues also.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
that would explain this for me, cause i have a pal wii... strange though that other dvd+r's does work...

edit: how do you burn a dvd+r in dvd-modus with nero burning rom? i can only make a dvd-rom bootalb,e duf or iso/udf and in all ways it says it will not be readable...

otto888

I break things for a living.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm...I borrowed one of my friend's DVD coppys(his gets scratched a lot) and he sticks the dvd design on via a sticker...the disk seems to get stuck midway in. :\ would it hurt to force it in/out?

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
otto888 said:
Hmmm...I borrowed one of my friend's DVD coppys(his gets scratched a lot) and he sticks the dvd design on via a sticker...the disk seems to get stuck midway in. :\ would it hurt to force it in/out?

Im sure forcing it in wouldn't be a problem, I would be more worried about it not coming back out

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:

What prevents the Wii from reading a CD is that the firmware isn't written for the CD's filesystem.

Hardware wise, it's entirely feasible.

However, with the price of DVD-Rs, why bother with CDs anymore? You can convert anything contained on a CD to a DVD without it hurting your wallet.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
LightyKD said:

What prevents the Wii from reading a CD is that the firmware isn't written for the CD's filesystem.

Hardware wise, it's entirely feasible.

However, with the price of DVD-Rs, why bother with CDs anymore? You can convert anything contained on a CD to a DVD without it hurting your wallet.

My reason for wanting CD support would be for the sake of someone releasing a Dreamcast emulator. I have over 35 plus Dreamcast games burned on cds and with artwork illustrated on all of them and mind you my artwork isn't shabby. Thats a lot of time invested into a console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I sank most my tokens and quarters in this game when I was a kid. A classic.