LG wants PlayStation 3 banned in the US

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Korean company LG wants Sony's PlayStation 3 and Bravia tellys banned in the US for what it claims are patent infringements relating to Blu-ray playback.

The Foss Patents blog contacted Eurogamer to reveal documents filed with the US International Trade Commission in Washington relating to the complaint.

The ITC has the power to block imports of products that violate US patents.

LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", but the PlayStation 3 (Model No. CECH-2501A) is the only Sony product to be specifically named in the main document of the complaint.

A Bloomberg reports suggests LG's claims are revenge for cases brought against it by Sony in December. Sony claims the Seoul-based company is infringing seven of its patents relating to LG phones. Sony has also filed a civil lawsuit against LG Blu-ray players.

LG and Sony are the world's second- and third-largest TV makers, trailing Samsung.[/p]
Source

There are so many patent wars going on right now, it's just getting ridiculous. The patent system really should be reformed to prevent these complications. Any company could just look through patents and soon enough they would find somebody else who has used their patent in their product.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Korean company LG wants Sony's PlayStation 3 and Bravia tellys banned in the US for what it claims are patent infringements relating to Blu-ray playback.

The Foss Patents blog contacted Eurogamer to reveal documents filed with the US International Trade Commission in Washington relating to the complaint.

The ITC has the power to block imports of products that violate US patents.

LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", but the PlayStation 3 (Model No. CECH-2501A) is the only Sony product to be specifically named in the main document of the complaint.

A Bloomberg reports suggests LG's claims are revenge for cases brought against it by Sony in December. Sony claims the Seoul-based company is infringing seven of its patents relating to LG phones. Sony has also filed a civil lawsuit against LG Blu-ray players.

LG and Sony are the world's second- and third-largest TV makers, trailing Samsung.[/p]
Source

There are so many patent wars going on right now, it's just getting ridiculous. The patent system really should be reformed to prevent these complications. Any company could just look through patents and soon enough they would find somebody else who has used their patent in their product.

I say, let Godzilla And King Kong kill each other so they don't hurt as many of the civillians (Geohot for example)

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Broad patents like that really need to get stricken from the system.

I'm not even saying this as a sonyfan, that is a terrible patent and completely stops any other company from making a Blu-ray player.

edit: I'm surprised it's even legal since it completely disallows free trade/competition and gives LG a monopoly on the market.

Capitalism Ho!

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:

Well, LG isn't exactly some schmoe off the street. If they've got a beef, I'm thinking they likely have cause for real concern. I doubt their executives are going to so much as look at a company like Sony the wrong way without first having a few ducks in a row.

Still...Sony have money to burn; perhaps not SCE, but the parent company is still quite the powerhouse. They won't get banned, though. No way on God's green Earth. I'm interested in what the actual truth of the matter is regarding this situation.

DarkLG

Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Fingers Crossed* I really want to see what happens if sony does lose lol
biggrin.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a win-win for me.

Sony get's its bratty ass kicked and learns a lesson.

LG is forced to stop making shitty software/hardware/laundry washers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all...