PlayStation 3 updated to official firmware version 4.87

91ep+mWIPYL.jpg

No, you didn't accidentally wake up 10 years ago; the PlayStation really did receive a brand new firmware update in the year 2020. Just like the Nintendo 3DS did earlier this year, the PS3 has gotten an update out of nowhere, bringing the system to version number 4.87. Sony says that this new firmware serves to improve the console's system performance, but what that vague statement really means is that the PlayStation 3 got its update so that it could play the most recent Blu-ray movie discs. At least, according to the RPCS3 PS3 emulator team.

Anyone still using their PlayStation 3, and a hacked one at that, will want to refrain from updating to 4.87, though scene hacker Joonie has put out HFW 4.87.1, and says that PS3HEN should be updated relatively soon, as the new firmware doesn't make any changes to the kernel. As a reminder, HFW (hybrid firmware) does not mean CFW (custom firmware). SEN Enabler has also been updated to support spoofing the PlayStation Network for those not on 4.87.

:arrow: Source

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just as an addendum to what you're saying:
streaming is lossy. they compress the data as much as humanly possible while still being able to say it's 4k or 1080p. Most people don't care if they got basic 4k with meh-hdr and compressed A/V. but if you go all in and get an uber amazing tv/surround, then on-disc will be worth the higher quality.

so basically it's more videophile/audiophile stuff, much like how cds/sacds are now...though they have flac and other lossless options, so not quite the same options.

plus, internet can be off sometimes, or maybe limited bandwidth, or data caps. so probably other reasons too. plus they look good on a shelf. but they'll still probably stop being so popular over time, i agree.
I hear you, streaming still doesn't compare to physical but it will catch up eventually. I'm trying my best to resist the trend as I still use vinyl as much as possible, but it just isn't as convenient. I also repaired my Sony Walkman the other day and had a blast listening to some old tapes so maybe there's more to it than just the fidelity.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear you, streaming still doesn't compare to physical but it will catch up eventually. I'm trying my best to resist the trend as I still use vinyl as much as possible, but it just isn't as convenient. I also repaired my Sony Walkman the other day and had a blast listening to some old tapes so maybe there's more to it than just the fidelity.
a lossless encoder that's also nice and compact but easily decompressed on the fly would be a dream. Im 1000% down for that,but i think it's a ways away. I have some laserdisc in storage, but i think I'll stick to my blu-rays lol. I guess with music there's this tonal quality of analogue vs digital? I hear similar talks about things shot on film vs digital, but it's so hard to find film shot *and* shown movies anymore. But definitely a fun experience when it can be had, for sure.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are wrong there is no such thing as a bluray player that plays any bluray without updates just google it, your device might be getting updated on its own if its on the internet or you just lucky you buy blurays encoded on older keys, many bluray players that arent update crash on loading screens or cant play special features or straight up dont start on some discs.

i keep my 2011 BDP5100 with a region-free modchip offline since the last time I updated it a few years ago it broke the region-free functionality so after fixing this I have had it offline. I keep my other players offline as well and have never had to update them over the internet to play new movies. I buy movies quite often and I doubt new releases use old keys but I can still play them.

now for menu issues, last time I experienced this was the older non BD-Live players from pre 2009. Most movie houses use the same generic menu layouts anyway so I have not run into anything crazy the 2011 player could not run. I live in a small town so feedback from regular customers is common, especially with technology like phones and TVs.

I have also sold Blu-ray players as a retail worker for years and have had people save money buying the wired networking only players if they don’t stream or have internet and I have not had anyone come back and tell me that the player stopped playing discs or required an update.

I did however have a regular stop in who told me he had to update his PS3 regain the ability to play any movies, it stops playing all movies once the keys expire.

if normal players need firmware or key updates online then people with no internet or would not be able to use a Blu-ray player for long as newer discs would not work, which I have not personally seen outside of the PS3 and software like PowerDVD.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i keep my 2011 BDP5100 with a region-free modchip offline since the last time I updated it a few years ago it broke the region-free functionality so after fixing this I have had it offline. I keep my other players offline as well and have never had to update them over the internet to play new movies. I buy movies quite often and I doubt new releases use old keys but I can still play them.

now for menu issues, last time I experienced this was the older non BD-Live players from pre 2009. Most movie houses use the same generic menu layouts anyway so I have not run into anything crazy the 2011 player could not run. I live in a small town so feedback from regular customers is common, especially with technology like phones and TVs.

I have also sold Blu-ray players as a retail worker for years and have had people save money buying the wired networking only players if they don’t stream or have internet and I have not had anyone come back and tell me that the player stopped playing discs or required an update.

I did however have a regular stop in who told me he had to update his PS3 regain the ability to play any movies, it stops playing all movies once the keys expire.

if normal players need firmware or key updates online then people with no internet or would not be able to use a Blu-ray player for long as newer discs would not work, which I have not personally seen outside of the PS3 and software like PowerDVD.
every bluray player i have ever seen has an disclaimer saying it needs update if you never updated it for like 6 years, sometimes you can just press continue anyway and the movie will play sometimes not and they arent ps3 but standard bluray players from lg,Samsung and the likes.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
what piracy prevention? this is just updating the bluray keys so newer blurays play on the ps3, it changed absolutely nothing to prevent piracy... seriously all ps3 latest what 20 updates were just bluray keys getting added...

PS3Hen was blocked and exploits were coincidently patched.

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know of any actually good 3rd party DS3s? 2 of my officials have succumbed to drift and its hard to come by new ones for a decent price anyways. Have already tried my luck with 4rd party ones off Aliexpress, but they're crap.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know of any actually good 3rd party DS3s? 2 of my officials have succumbed to drift and its hard to come by new ones for a decent price anyways. Have already tried my luck with 4rd party ones off Aliexpress, but they're crap.
Here is a brand new unopened official Sony DS3 for $18 USD at eBay, various colors ($14 if you don't mind yellow).

Last edited by kehkou,

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen ones like this before and people have told me they're Chinese aftermarket ones
Good gods you're right! Too bad the $20 eBay official ones i had purchased are long since sold out.

BoT, I use my PS3 as both a media player/streamer/Plexbox, and an (almost) all-inclusive Playstation/Sega-based retro game machine (similar to my modded Wii U for all previous Nintendo home console games). 90% of its function is as my media player, which is reduced to nearly zero until a new Ferrox CFW comes out.

Immortallix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good gods you're right! Too bad the $20 eBay official ones i had purchased are long since sold out.

BoT, I use my PS3 as both a media player/streamer/Plexbox, and an (almost) all-inclusive Playstation/Sega-based retro game machine (similar to my modded Wii U for all previous Nintendo home console games). 90% of its function is as my media player, which is reduced to nearly zero until a new Ferrox CFW comes out.

Yeah, I might take a chance on em anyways, still use mine for a lot of media as well.

Yoshi128k

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely quite a weird thing for Sony to do with a console they discontinued 3 years ago, but I mean, there are probably still quite a few people watching Blu-ray movies on their PS3s.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
HEN is already out for that new FW.
I only play occasionally, and when I do use my PS3 rather than my PS4, believe it or not.

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
That's fair, and pretty cool of them. Unlike Nintendo, releasing an official YouTube app for the Wii which crashes when you look at it wrong, only to discontinue support for it the following year. Big N are douchebags...
Actually that is on Netflix's development part. Nintendo has no hand in that particular app on Wii or WiiU.

EmBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT: PCs on the other hand do rely on software such as PowerDVD since the software handles any AACS decryption but this is worse than PS3 since PowerDVD hides AACS key store update behind a paywall where you pay to upgrade to the new PowerDVD version. The only cost effective way to use a PC as a Blu-ray player is to use AnyDVD HD, which will decrypt discs so you can use old free PowerDVD versions that came with Blu-ray drives years ago to play new movies or stick with your newer version without being forced to upgrade or not watch movies.
Leawo Blu-ray Player worked fine last I tried it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: test what?