1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    what piracy prevention? this is just updating the bluray keys so newer blurays play on the ps3, it changed absolutely nothing to prevent piracy... seriously all ps3 latest what 20 updates were just bluray keys getting added...

Moke3 and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  2. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I hear you, streaming still doesn't compare to physical but it will catch up eventually. I'm trying my best to resist the trend as I still use vinyl as much as possible, but it just isn't as convenient. I also repaired my Sony Walkman the other day and had a blast listening to some old tapes so maybe there's more to it than just the fidelity.

Last edited by subcon959, Dec 6, 2020
    Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  3. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    a lossless encoder that's also nice and compact but easily decompressed on the fly would be a dream. Im 1000% down for that,but i think it's a ways away. I have some laserdisc in storage, but i think I'll stick to my blu-rays lol. I guess with music there's this tonal quality of analogue vs digital? I hear similar talks about things shot on film vs digital, but it's so hard to find film shot *and* shown movies anymore. But definitely a fun experience when it can be had, for sure.

4. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

United States
    i keep my 2011 BDP5100 with a region-free modchip offline since the last time I updated it a few years ago it broke the region-free functionality so after fixing this I have had it offline. I keep my other players offline as well and have never had to update them over the internet to play new movies. I buy movies quite often and I doubt new releases use old keys but I can still play them.

now for menu issues, last time I experienced this was the older non BD-Live players from pre 2009. Most movie houses use the same generic menu layouts anyway so I have not run into anything crazy the 2011 player could not run. I live in a small town so feedback from regular customers is common, especially with technology like phones and TVs.

I have also sold Blu-ray players as a retail worker for years and have had people save money buying the wired networking only players if they don’t stream or have internet and I have not had anyone come back and tell me that the player stopped playing discs or required an update.

I did however have a regular stop in who told me he had to update his PS3 regain the ability to play any movies, it stops playing all movies once the keys expire.

if normal players need firmware or key updates online then people with no internet or would not be able to use a Blu-ray player for long as newer discs would not work, which I have not personally seen outside of the PS3 and software like PowerDVD.

5. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Legend

Portugal
    every bluray player i have ever seen has an disclaimer saying it needs update if you never updated it for like 6 years, sometimes you can just press continue anyway and the movie will play sometimes not and they arent ps3 but standard bluray players from lg,Samsung and the likes.

6. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Dirty Weeb ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

United States
    PS3Hen was blocked and exploits were coincidently patched.

7. player594

player594 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Get your facts straight. Nothing was patched. A working HEN version is already out.

8. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Eh haven't bought any new Blu-ray disks so I won't bother.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Ughhhhhhh
    I knew this would happen as soon as I updated my hfw

10. Immortallix

Immortallix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyone know of any actually good 3rd party DS3s? 2 of my officials have succumbed to drift and its hard to come by new ones for a decent price anyways. Have already tried my luck with 4rd party ones off Aliexpress, but they're crap.

11. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

United States
    Here is a brand new unopened official Sony DS3 for $18 USD at eBay, various colors ($14 if you don't mind yellow).

Last edited by kehkou, Dec 9, 2020
  12. Immortallix

United States
    I've seen ones like this before and people have told me they're Chinese aftermarket ones

13. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

United States
    Good gods you're right! Too bad the $20 eBay official ones i had purchased are long since sold out.

BoT, I use my PS3 as both a media player/streamer/Plexbox, and an (almost) all-inclusive Playstation/Sega-based retro game machine (similar to my modded Wii U for all previous Nintendo home console games). 90% of its function is as my media player, which is reduced to nearly zero until a new Ferrox CFW comes out.

14. Immortallix

United States
    Yeah, I might take a chance on em anyways, still use mine for a lot of media as well.

15. Yoshi128k

Yoshi128k Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Definitely quite a weird thing for Sony to do with a console they discontinued 3 years ago, but I mean, there are probably still quite a few people watching Blu-ray movies on their PS3s.

16. depaul

depaul GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    HEN is already out for that new FW.
    I only play occasionally, and when I do use my PS3 rather than my PS4, believe it or not.

17. Hielkenator2

Hielkenator2 GBAtemp Regular

Albania
    Actually that is on Netflix's development part. Nintendo has no hand in that particular app on Wii or WiiU.

18. EmBlaze

EmBlaze GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Leawo Blu-ray Player worked fine last I tried it.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - PlayStation, official, firmware