LG Optimus Black - good, average or bad?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
My second phone line has already passed 3 months off the contract, and my phone provider is itching me to get a new phone and renew whenever I call them up.

Well, I have considered a few phones... Galaxy S II is my star choice, but it's at $498 SGD after trading in my old phone (US$408.40), which is like darn expensive.

I looked thru a couple of midrange ones, and found Optimus Black. After trade in it's $198 SGD (US$162.40), which is an awfully good price. But I'm worried about a couple of things, particularly whether LG would update their phones or not.

Can someone please tell me whether Optimus Black is worth at US$162, battery, durability, etc.
Or should I just wait and get a Galaxy S II?

Note: many of you might say custom firmware, I just want to know if LG updates their phones with the latest droid software or not... Just want to know.

Thanks in advance

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LG is generally good about getting software updates out so long as the phone is fast enough to support it. I do think you'll be set as long as you're on 2.2 or greater.

Anyway, that does look like a good price. I don't think the Galaxy S II's premium is worth it at that big of a price gap. But it's up to you.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'd wait and go for a Galaxy S II. The Optimus Black is being promoted by LG as a really superior phone and such; but its lack of a powerful processor, or any actual powerful specifications in general, will make it an out of date device VERY quickly. The price you pay for the Galaxy S II comes in exchange for a phone guaranteed to last you to the end of your contract. My personal experience with LG is that their products are shown as up to par with the competition at cheaper prices, only to come with blatant design flaws and very cheap construction. LG devices are far easier to break than those of other companies based on my own personal experience.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, is the battery okay? And what do you mean when LG's software is buggy?

Held a dummy and it was really light.

Well, held a Galaxy S II dummy as well and it's also really light.

If battery plus OS = problematic, I'll wait for a S II

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ StealthD0g99: I am trying to hack Fire Emblem Warriors on my 2DS XL, I have been trying to get it to work, but...