Let's help Haití PLEASE

Ishidori

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gosh! In moment like this i hate my awful english... Well let me put it short.

If there's any means to help from yours respective country, PLEASE DO IT. People there has lost everything. I know this forum is for games, but i just want to beg you do whatever you can. Dominican Republic and Haití are so close that i can't believe how we weren't affected, so i decided try to help as much i can.

Ishidori

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Law said:

If you hear about any colect of human help in your country, you can donate as much as you can. I mean food, water or medicament -antibiotics for example- whatever you can give
laugh.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good cause, wrong forum. Next time take it to General Off-Topic Chat.

EDIT: To be more on-topic, the International Red Cross is one of the more trusted organizations when it comes to third world disaster relief. People might consider donating through them.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't donate money to charities since 30% of it goes to top employees and 40% goes to advertising and promotions and 20% to employees which leaves only 10% to actually go to the cause (this is how the system works). Your best bet is to donate non-perishable food and clothing.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
I don't donate money to charities since 30% of it goes to top employees and 40% goes to advertising and promotions and 20% to employees which leaves only 10% to actually go to the cause (this is how the system works). Your best bet is to donate non-perishable food and clothing.

where you getting this information from?

cribby08

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunatly he is correct. Only about 10-20% of the money you donate actually reaches the people who need it. This is true for almost all charity organizations. That are however some notable exeptions.

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
cribby08 said:
Unfortunatly he is correct. Only about 10-20% of the money you donate actually reaches the people who need it. This is true for almost all charity organizations. That are however some notable exeptions.
there are some exeptions, but they are very rare. I remember the big tsunami in Indonesia on christmas day in 2004, they set up a big action here in the Netherlands, over 10 million euros where donated by the Dutch. And what happened with that money? Almost nothing got to the people in Indonesia and no clothes or food were bought.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:

First, that doesn't apply to all charities. Second, even if it did, 10% is a far better alternative to inaction. Unless of course you are helping in some other way?

Edit: http://www.bbb.org/us/article/charities-pr...ke-relief-14690 That link will take you to a list of accredited charities seeking to aid Haiti. You can also find details regarding each charities use of funds.

On another note... I hate to be a cynic, but people are aware that Haiti was in dire need of aid long before this earthquake, right? Why does it take a disaster for the world to stop and take notice. It's like when Haitians die of starvation, it's no big deal. Westerners are too busy getting a second car. But when an earthquake strikes, "Oh no, those poor people. Let me write a check so that I can feel less shitty about myself and show how good a person I am."

Don't get me wrong, people should give and I suppose I am glad they do. I just wish empathy was the catalyst for charity, not the desire to absolve guilt or falsely paint oneself as altruistic.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
scrtmstr said:
cribby08 said:
there are some exeptions, but they are very rare. I remember the big tsunami in Indonesia on christmas day in 2004, they set up a big action here in the Netherlands, over 10 million euros where donated by the Dutch. And what happened with that money? Almost nothing got to the people in Indonesia and no clothes or food were bought.

Same here, my school held an action for Sri Lanka, but 90% of the money has prolly gone to weaponry for the tamil tigers.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shromz said:
Nah
I just got my topic locked for asking for emails for fuzzy kittens invite
and this hasn't been locked yet?

yeah I'm sure you can class this as the same thing, How ungrateful and self centered can you get.

One day when your family are trapped under rubble and starving to death you will be worrying about your free xbox 360 from a stupid spam site.

And btw stop trying to advertise more in your posts.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
Your best bet is to donate non-perishable food and clothing.

Uh-huh, and how is this food and clothing going to actually GET there, if not through a hugely expensive operation involving a fuck-load of planes, fuel, people, security and infrastructure? The problem isn't that there aren't tins of beans and blankets available to go over there, it's that it takes a lot of cold, hard cash to convey it through a country with a non-existent transport network to the people that need it.

http://blog.charitynavigator.org/2010/01/t...or-funding.html
QUOTEDo Not Send Supplies – Knowing that millions of people are desperately in need of food and water, it is hard not to want to pack up a box of supplies and send it to Haiti. But this type of philanthropy is simply not practical or efficient. Even if mail could get to Haiti, no one is set up to receive these goods, much less organize and distribute them to the victims. Furthermore, charities are often able to partner with companies to acquire large amounts of in-kind donations such as bottled water and new clothing. Instead of boxing up and sending your old clothing, have a garage sale and turn your used goods into cash and donate that to a worthy charity.

As for your figures, I'd really like to see that CBS support, it seems incredibl;y improbable that all charities have the same budget breakdown.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People in Haiti eat mud. I am not using this as a force of expression. THEY EAT MUD. Deciding to help them only due to the earthquake is cynic, to say the least. People have been ignoring that country since before it was an independent... and now suddenly they find interest in it.

People are awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over