Lego: The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit pulled from digital storefronts

header.jpg

Two more video games have been lost to the digital abyss of expired contracts. Warner Bros.' Lego: The Lord of the Rings and Lego: The Hobbit have both been delisted from their once available digital storefronts. According to the publisher, neither game is scheduled to be available in the future, so you'll have to get a hold of a physical copy on console, or already own the game digitally if you plan on playing it. Luckily, Lego: The Hobbit was given away for free through the Humble Store last month, allowing for many people to claim it before its delisting. Lego: The Lord of the Rings was developed by Traveller's Tales, and initially released in 2012, for PC. Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. There were also handheld versions of the game on mobile, DS, and 3DS. Both titles boast user reviews that are positive, with the first having an 82% on Metacritic, and the second having a 72% average score.

:arrow: Source

Mattidute

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If I have it in my Steam library but it's not installed, can I still download it?
If so, will there be a point in the future when I can't download it anymore?

If you have it in your steam library you can always download it no matter what, even if it's not on the steam store anymore.

Reactions: smileyhead

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
If you have it in your steam library you can always download it no matter what, even if it's not on the steam store anymore.
Nice, thanks.

You should still be able to download it, but it will not be able to be purchased in the future
You got ninja'd. :P

Last edited by smileyhead,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I have it in my Steam library but it's not installed, can I still download it?
If so, will there be a point in the future when I can't download it anymore?
You should still be able to download it, but it will not be able to be purchased in the future

Edit: ninja'd :ninja:

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why licenses to existing games expire. The game is already made. Everyone's been paid. It's not preventing the license holder from creating their own stuff or selling the license to another company to make a new game, what harm is there in letting it simply continue to exist? I just don't get it.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why licenses to existing games expire. The game is already made. Everyone's been paid. It's not preventing the license holder from creating their own stuff or selling the license to another company to make a new game, what harm is there in letting it simply continue to exist? I just don't get it.
Every copy sold is a "copy" of the game. Once the license to use the copyright expires, they're not allowed to make copies.

renjiVII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well I'm glad that I got my both the lego LOTR and the hobbit on Humblebundle for free and applied them to my steam account before this happened not that it would matter.

AlphaBravo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yay, another game we can pirate without moral dilemma!

This is one of the main issues as digital only purchases surpasses physical sales (very close in UK). Once licenses expire or servers shut down (forced online) many gamers lose out on having access to great games or stuff they payed for. So this amongst other good reasons is why i advocate and engage in file sharing so that others can benefit from short sighted and constricted actions of certain content creators.

Last edited by AlphaBravo,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is also a point were retrogaming is completely different from contemporary gaming. Basically if something is known to become short stock or go out of stock of retrogames, the prices will skyrocket, whereas for current gen games it seems like they lower the price in order to sell as much of it as possible in the time they have. And while writing this I realised how stupid it was. Anyways, I remember licenses expiring being the reason I got a hold of Alan Wake on Steam. I'm sad I didn't know about these games going for free on humble bundle though... Wish I had known..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.