Lego: The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit pulled from digital storefronts

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jan 4, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Go digital they, forgo the option to resell games they said, it will make things better for the consumer they said...

As ever I continue to have a laugh.

VinsCool and Captain_N like this.
  2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Gee, that wasn't a sarcastic response at all, keep it up

3. SS4

SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2010
    Canada
    In front of my Computer
    Copyrights is such a poorly implemented concept its ridiculous that it manages to get even worse as time goes by . . .

Captain_N likes this.
  4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBATemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Well, I can't say that something of value was lost.
    Those lego games all play the same and are extremely repetitive. I know, there is people that actually like them, but I find them all boring and uninspired.

5. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    With bullshit licensing issues like this, I don't blame people for pirating games. I know I would.

SS4 likes this.
  6. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    Got it on Wii HDD and injected on Wii U!

7. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    Id like to see you download it in 25 years. Not gonna happen my friend. As with all digital purchases you are never buying the content, you are buying the license to use it. You never own anything when buying digital....
    And for those archiving steam games on hard drives, you have to remember hard drives loose alittle more then 1% of their magnetic information per year. Even when not used. Its a little fact no one knows.... NAND Flash cells also degrade over time as well even without being written to. The only non expensive solution i use is High quality Bluray-r HTL Discs (inorganic Dye) as well as M-discs.

8. reddragon105

reddragon105 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2008
    Better grab them from a reselling site while they're still cheap if you want them!

Zense likes this.
  9. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Oh, that explains why they gave them both away for free. I never even installed them, to try them.

10. Most-Wanted

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

Apr 2, 2017
    Noooo i was being stubborn and never bought the lego hobbit since it was only the first two movies in the game, Dammit

Well time for ebay i guess, should still be some codes

Last edited by Most-Wanted, Jan 6, 2019
  11. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    could b a key or hint why they didnt want to add continue like the indiana the jones the continues part 2 it never ends?

12. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Bummer. I didn't get the hobbit freebie.
    Missed that one by two hours.

Well, it's justified why two lego games were offered.
    At least, they were nice for offering them games.

13. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    Oh no, such an integral part of video game history is being lost forever in the sense that it's only available in the same way as most other games from now on?

No for real, nothing of value is lost here

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In some ways yes, in other ways I don't know if we can dismiss it that easily.

First I would say the themed lego games are actually quite a notable part of gaming history -- some have pondered if minecraft will be to kids of a few years back what Mario and Sonic might have been to those of the 8-16 bit era, however those just before the minecraft date I would place reasonable odds at having these games be that. The franchise had been worn a bit thin by this point (not quite PS1 era Army Men but heading that way) but that does not mean all that much.

Second it is a problem seemingly unique to games, and one that the music industry more or less solved before computer games were really a thing, certainly nothing like we know them today. It is not even a technical problem -- spinning up a run of N64 protection chips is a tricky thing, we don't however seem to be running out of bandwidth any time soon, the owners of the property are still known so as they can get their royalties. To stand idly by while this sort of thing happens then being a dubious concept -- your enemies are never going to pick ground that is favourable to you and all that.

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i think what he meant by nothing is lost is that you can grab a used copy easily on ebay,amazon and the likes, its not like those games are rare or exclusive, they were released on all systems that existed at a time, so nothing is lost.

it would be another story if the game was digital only and people couldn't even get it at all without going the illegal route.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I would agree to a statement of it would be worse, however it is a problem that has no technical reason to exist, and ones of very very dubious creative reason to exist either. If we don't stand up and try to get things done now it would be an awful lot harder later when such things become a bigger problem.

17. BORTZ

BORTZ Tired of being the good guy

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I dont like digital
    I dont like digital
    I dont like digital

VinsCool and banjo2 like this.
  18. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's their bullshit licensing, DRM, etc that makes me glad I never felt bad pirating games.