Legit Mario Kart copies getting DREs?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by The Teej, Apr 14, 2008.

Apr 14, 2008
  1. The Teej
    OP

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Rumor: Mario Kart Wii may also be plagued by disc read errors

Did your nearly two years of anticipation come to an anticlimactic conclusion last month when your stubborn, soiled Nintendo Wii refused to play the pristine copy of Smash Bros. Brawl you'd just purchased? If you were one of the unlucky owners of an unkempt Wii whose dust-covered laser couldn't read the dual-layer Brawl disc, we've got bad news -- there's a chance your bedraggled home console will refuse to read Mario Kart Wii as well.

GoNintendo cited German gaming news site GameFront with reporting numerous complaints from owners of the Japanese version of the game, saying it often refuses to load and is plagued by frequent crashes -- likely due to the same dual-layered woes suffered by Brawl. Thing is, we can't find any reports of Mario Kart Wii being a dual-layered game -- on the contrary, some early purchasers (and those who obtained the game through more ... dubious channels) are certain it's single-layered. We doubt it's cause for widespread panic -- but keep a wary eye out for further complaints.

Souce: Joystiq

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Mario Kart Wii is not dual-layer.

I have an original, I have thrown it in my drive ... yes, it can read Wii discs ... and have even dumped it, out of curiousity ... it's a single-layer disc.

I say this, because I have seen a few reports now of people claiming it to be dual-layer ... yet the above article claims that the reporter has not seen such reports ... hmmm

3. darkazn91

Newcomer darkazn91 Newbie

Australia
    I thought that mario kart should be the same as any other single-layer wii game, so there shouldn't be a problem unless your wii can't read any games.

4. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    This is a false rumor. MKWii isn't dual layer so I wonder why MKWii would crash and not the other games ?

5. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    As it's only Japanese copies, I guessing some kind of batch error at the factory.

6. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    They would have noticed it at the factory imho.

7. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    It only takes one site to post a rumour and it's all over the internet with no proof

8. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Batch error with the hardware then ... I can't think of too many reasons for something like this, can you?