Learning Kanji?

Apathetic_Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, im not exactly new here since i've been browsing the site for a while, but i decided to make my first post. hah, anyway, i want to know how long it would take an average english person to actually get a fairly decent grip on understanding kanji. probably a stupid question, and i know that it can differ from person to person depending on how well the actually grasp it and how much time they put into learning it.

Apathetic_Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahhhh, ok, well i'll have a look into that, i know you said it teachs you bit by bit but is it simple or complex? and thank you for the quick reply
laugh.gif

gumphfy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're not familiar with the japanese language, the kanji kan be confusing to learn. It's always better to learn kanji in some form of context, usually while learning the japanese language itself.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????>.

Apathetic_Discord

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Psssst. i don't know kanji, that made no sense at all
tongue.gif

but yeah, are you saying that it would be best to actually learn to read kanji along with speaking and understanding the japanese language?

gumphfy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vampyric-Desire said:
Psssst. i don't know kanji, that made no sense at all
tongue.gif

but yeah, are you saying that it would be best to actually learn to read kanji along with speaking and understanding the japanese language?
Exactly. I know of people who only know the english translated meaning of kanji, and can read simple texts. However, kowing kanji is not enough, there's a lot of grammar that goes along with it, and not understanding the grammar, will most likely only result in you not comprehending what's going on.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
It does help knowing Chinese characters when learning Japanese, considering most of them share meanings. Yay for cultural heritage.

It really takes practice on word recognition, so read up on your Kanji to know their definitions and remember to write them out. It's one thing to know how to read Kanji, but it's another to know how to correctly write them.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gumphfy said:
If you're not familiar with the japanese language, the kanji kan be confusing to learn. It's always better to learn kanji in some form of context, usually while learning the japanese language itself.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????>.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol