Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've been considering what to do with this thread for a while. The obvious first response is "Rydian, just rewrite it like you tend to do", but the issue is that "programming" is a very large category. Does somebody want to do simple HTML+CSS stuff for a website, or do they need server-side scripting? Are they going to be needing any additional components, such as databases? Would they be better off with an interpreted or a compiled language? Do they need a wide library of available functions, or will they be fine making their own? Is their target platform one that even has libraries available, or that certain languages can run on? Are they free to jump right into a certain language, or are they trying to do something that would require technical understanding at a more basic level first? Is a high-level language even an option?

I'm going to unsticky this and just leave it up to each person to ask themselves. This isn't too common of a question so the forums won't exactly get flooded, and it's a question that's best answered on a case-by-case basis, since a person's intentions can vary so wildly, so the range of info available to them would too.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Start with Java in the Netbeans IDE.
After that, move on to C.
C just makes all of Java's annoyances disappear.
...why not start with C then? That's what I did - it's the most basic form of "C-Like" languages, and that includes C, C++, Java and JavaScript and others. Even the most basic knowledge of C gives you a foothold in learning many other languages, plus it translates to native code unlike, say, JavaScript and Java.

//inb4RydianTalkingAboutJIT B-)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pft, Desmume does JIT now, and it's such a speed boost that 'tempers are jizzing their pants over it.

Don't you want to jizz your pants, Foxi?
Somehow I knew you'll mention it... HMPH! :P

Well, yeah, it's a nice thing, but I still thing that C is the basis that people should start with. ;)

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
...why not start with C then? That's what I did - it's the most basic form of "C-Like" languages, and that includes C, C++, Java and JavaScript and others. Even the most basic knowledge of C gives you a foothold in learning many other languages, plus it translates to native code unlike, say, JavaScript and Java.

//inb4RydianTalkingAboutJIT B-)
Java's plentiful exceptions are helpful at first, and they reinforce good habits.
However, they quickly get annoying when you know that you're smarter than the JRE.
For example, in C, if you make array[10][2], array[19][0] is valid, and it is equivalent to array[9][1], because that's how arrays are allocated in every language. Java's JRE will barf if you try to do that.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@Coto, out of curiosity why do you say not c++?

a 4 year reply, but because C++ is pretty much an extended C, (with some derivatives on calling more functions located on memory, or more "variety" while treating data on memory [you don't need that quirky tricks]) but in the end the "pure" C is the way to go if you want to think upon a rigid structure, with a good concept of data held in both our head and the machine. And pointers and such to retrieve those

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As far as learning programming in general, C first is like dropping them in the deep end of the pool.
Oh, I don't know about that. I started off with C and to be honest, when we got introduced to JavaScript at Uni, I found it to be messy and convoluted in comparison. :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I don't know about that. I started off with C and to be honest, when we got introduced to JavaScript at Uni, I found it to be messy and convoluted in comparison. :P
People like you tend to start off with technical know-how and such anyways. The average person barely knows syntax for typing an e-mail, let alone how to format a function with arguments. There's also the development environment, and people being required to jump into things like compiling a binary and such. That's why interpretert languages like Python are often suggested for somebody's first step, since it's relatively less hassle and confusion.

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you play minecraft then start programming turtles+computers in the computer craft mod (its also in tekkit and ftb)
computercraft uses lua, which is a pretty nice language.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian, I honestly was wondering the same th
If you play minecraft then start programming turtles+computers in the computer craft mod (its also in tekkit and ftb)
computercraft uses lua, which is a pretty nice language.
You're watching programming with Guude.
Any chance that your're a fan of Guude?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021