1. RyRyIV

RyRyIV GDDM
    Reviewer

United States
    Over the weekend I watched both the new, live action Mulan, and Jim Carrey's How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Mulan,
    while not anywhere close to a perfect film, was very good with some gorgeous cinematography and interesting fight choreography. Glad they fit in orchestral versions of the original songs where they could, and didn't try to force or rely on them. Ultimately I found it to be one of the better Disney live action films. I'd rank it just under The Jungle Book, which I believe is the best live action remake Disney has come out with.

Grinch, meanwhile, needs no introduction. It's one of the most beloved Christmas movies out there, and it's yearly viewing for me. I'm astounded at how well every single piece of this film holds up even today. Plus you can tell that Jim Carrey and Taylor Momsen were having a blast in their scenes together.

alexander1970 likes this.
  2. JuanMena

OP JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    Holy shit how long since I last saw something?
    3 months ago
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no Tales
    [​IMG]

I swear I saw this coming... The first 4 movies were on Netflix nearly a year ago.
    And I watched them all in the lapse of two days literally the 6th of January.

By the time At World's End got to the middle of the movie I noticed a tremendous sense of charm being lost.
    The 4th movie got rushed (as I personally believe) and I hated the end of it, so my hopes for the 5th one weren't that high to be honest.

It seems like Dead men tell no Tales, is a preparation to release Johnny Depp as the main character.

With the first three and half of the Fourth, Depp's character, Sparrow went from totally bad ass and well developed trickster / mastermind to the likes of genies that turns situations to it's favour, into a derpy, unattended and nearly retarded clown like character.

The 5th movie cemented this further.

I feel that Dead men tell no Tales was something like: You loved Jack Sparrow? Well... he's dead now... in the brain...
    Replace with basic Girl and basic Boy (which happens to be as if Jack's personalities splitted in two halves) and I totally lost my interest in the movie as soon as I watched the first 15 minutes.

The villain in this movie is nothing but a glorified CryBaby without a real purpose to kill Sparrow other than making him lose his date with his mother to take the soup after liberating the seas from meanie pirates.
    Major secondary characters like Barbosa got watered down to prepare the expectator to his ultimate (unglorified) demise.
    It felt as if a huge Final Boss in a game got defeated with nothing more but a bug net/fishing rod and an empty bottle.

The effects were okay... but I was hopping them to be better... given the tone of the movie I guess I was expecting a lot for it.

I would watch the 6th movie just out of morbidity and because I'm a self-declared masochist.

But if I learned something, is that Pirates of the Caribbean is nothing but a good trilogy with three ovas... and nothing more...

Jack's character has a great charm... that Monkey is gonna be a star someday :unsure:

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHIT :creep:

Last edited by JuanMena, Dec 8, 2020
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Go (1999).
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139239/

If I am a sucker for one type of film it is con films. If there is a second thing it is a Rashomon/while this was happening/different perspectives of the same events. Sadly this was not the former but a decent stab at the latter (in this case disaffected youth in 90s Los Angeles get wrapped up with a drug dealer).
    It was also about what I would expect from a 90s film that nobody likely remembers today (I can't use a phrase like peak 90s but it wants to be). Also a lesser while this was happening thing as it kind of splits focus.
    Enjoyable enough I guess, though nothing I particularly suggest unless "90s films" happens to be your theme of choice and you happen to have done most of the truly good ones.

4. nani17

nani17 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    Greenland thought it was terrible

JuanMena likes this.
  5. CPG

CPG dingus

Canada
    The Princess Bride

quite good

6. nani17

nani17 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    great movie

CPG likes this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Bad Santa (2003)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0307987/

Eh. I am all for dark comedy/black comedy films but this one seemed to have basically two tricks. 1) Guy swears in front of kids and 2) Alcoholic mess somehow manages to not get fired and also gets laid all the time plus a sprinkling of otherwise good comedy actors almost being out of place. By no means a slog but nothing I would introduce someone to dark comedy with, any of the comedic actors with, or suggest as something on a black comedy film night.
    Seems to be quite high rated in many places as well which I don't get -- normally I can do the "yeah I see what some might enjoy that much about this" but I am at a loss here.
    It is also not much of a Christmas send up type film if you were hoping for that.

8. CPG

CPG dingus

Canada
    digimon adventure last evolution kizuna

another good movie

9. tonyhhhh

tonyhhhh Advanced Member
    Newcomer

One of the best movies , so funny no matter how many time i watch it.

Deleted User likes this.
  10. corlateanualex341

Newcomer

Germany
    I recently reviewed all the parts of Harry Potter and it was just magical.

JuanMena likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

Amen. The second movie I just can't stand, though.

12. Desaran

Desaran Member
    Newcomer

United States
    My friend recommended watching Knives Out and I really enjoyed it - 8/10, besides, the cast is amazing. By the way, my cable TV was terrible, there were network outages all the time so I decided to buy FireStick. To be honest, I don't regret it. This streaming device provides so many features, it's really worth buying. For example, look how many apps you can install on it https://www.firesticktricks.com/amazon-fire-stick-apps.html

Last edited by Desaran, Jan 18, 2021
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

"El Mejor Verano de Mi Vida" (The Best Summer of My Life)

Spanish movies are among my favorite and especially if they have cast I've seen before, so it's a win-win for me. Plus, with Amazon Prime Video (using a trial) you can watch Amazon Prime Spain's catalog even if you're not in Spain, just have a Spanish address to pass it through.

Amazon Prime is definitely the best way of watching Spanish movies conveniently and legally. There are pirate websites, but they tend to have issues with hosters not being available and whatnot so that's a bummer.

14. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.

United States
    Run Hide Fight.

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
  16. Megadriver94

Megadriver94 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Enders game (2013)

17. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Weapons

18. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Dark Knight Rises

People were right Bane really did have the best scenes.

JuanMena likes this.
  19. JuanMena

OP JuanMena Politically Incorrect ♥️

Mexico
    [​IMG]

My dumb sister got obsessed with Mandalorian because she's obsessed with GOT and she's watching it just because Pedro Pascal is playing the main role.
    So being the stupid poser she's always been she started to watch the Star Wars movies while wondering if Light Saber colours means something :huh:

Fucking hate her.
    Fucking hate this movie.
    Game of Thrones deserved a better ending.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Several years late to the party I decided to watch all 900 hours of The Revenant, albeit starting at 4 this morning without checking the runtime
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663202/

Not my favourite survival after a bear attack film (Back Country https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2944198/ for that one) or survival against the elements but I never the less enjoyed it a lot and would recommend it.
    Lot of people die, sometimes out of nowhere, and those that survive are not necessarily any better off. Like that in a film. Lovely footage. Villains, if indeed there are any and it is not just about everybody surviving, being more than cardboard cutouts which is good. Actually sometimes do crap out a good film in the modern times which is a bit of a shocker.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Movie,