Hardware Laser lens replacement

Bruinbaard

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
register your wii where on the nintendo site? I did but i didn't read anything of longer warranty. Maybe because im in Europe

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I had mine out today, the procedure is not too diffulcult.

I breifly explain, but really it's step by step common sense. Start on releasing the dvd drive main board (where you fit the mod-chip)

1) unclip all the leads/bus connectors (1 flip catch, 2 double side catches, and 1 push fit)
2) where there are hard soldered wires on the board edges (1 group of 4, 1 group of 2), it enough to just release the wiring from the routing clips to have enough room to manouver the board to the side, which is all you need.
3) remove the 2 screws holding the board
4) now you can move the board to the side and see the 1 screw holding the silver shield in place, remove it
5) around the edge of the siver shield there are 4 clips, bend them out with a small screw driver or needle
6) now you can carefully remove the silver shield and have access to the laser assembly
5) to remove the laser assembly you need to remove the slide rod, this is easily done by removing the securing screw and small plastic bracket at the end of the bar (console edge side), then slide out the rod
6) the laser asembly is now free to remove. (remeber to transfer the plastic worm arm and spring from the old laser assembly to the new when refitting
wink.gif
)

squeakypants

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where did you get a new laser? Besides ebay. I mean, $40 for a new laser? I guess it's better than $250, but still, jesus...

CYatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm. I have a launch Wii too, and to be quite honest, I'm not that worried about this. Is the noise really an indication of a problem? I mean, what kind of noises are you all hearing? Because as far as I know, almost all disc drives make noise.

nottm3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
QUOTE said:
did you remove the solder lock ?

apologies for asking, but it could of been overlooked

solder lock? .. the new len i replaced doesn't seem to reponse at all.. so i tried to replace the len with one dmg drive (len is working) the laser does response but it read the disc just once and don't seem to read anymore trying to figure out what's wrong..

well i will take a photo and post it maybe you could guide me .. sorry i quite noob for this...

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
There's a blob of solder on the ribbon cable, nearest the board connector end.. compare it with the old one and you can see you need to remove that solder.

It's there to protect the laser from static during transit.

.click it for more detail (slow loading)

jon-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My wii stoped reading disks last night. Does not even read originals.
Just a loud clicking sound over and over again for 3 sec before it stopes.

Will a laser replacement fix it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome...