Homebrew Large NeoGeo games support and CPS3 tests

Valken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've tested garau, metal slug 3 (underwater stage) and last blade 2 (sound intro skipped with 0.6 release) with "oldretro". They are are almost perfect now.
Thank you Wiimpathy and happy Easter!

Reactions: MKKhanzo

METALIGALO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Teste de temperatura, lesão de metal 3 (estágio subaquático) e última resistência 2 (introdução de som pulsado com liberação de 0,6) com "oldretro". Eles são quase perfeitos agora.
Obrigado Wiimpathy e feliz Páscoa!

if the same here, almost perfect now friend

[si lo miesmo aqui, casi perfectos agora amigo]

Last edited by x65943, , Reason: Please type in English

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for testing. Glad it's better.

At the same time, a bit concerned. Is it working a the 'Newretro' test build?

If it's no then any retroarch updates will be impossible. We'll be stuck at this 1.7.5 version.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
At the same time, a bit concerned. Is it working a the 'Newretro' test build?
Exception (DSI) crash with both MSLUG3 and GAROU in Newretro.

A bug i noticed after loading MSLUG3, maybe others: if you Close Content to load another rom, it will crash.

Btw, i almost banged my head with the Oldretro build until i noticed later while swapping files many times: only Newretro has a working HID driver. I tested R6 but that did not have support either.

I had to go back to an old 2019 nightly build to get HID working again.

Also Sengiku 3 doesn't show any score or life status on screen.
Can confirm, no HUD on Sengoku 3.

Im not sure if this will help anyone else out either but I couldnt find how to get into the uni-bios region menu, dip switch menu, and found a memory card option menu also.

Buttons B, C, and D together at uni-bios splash screen through retroarch on wii will bring up dip menu

Buttons A, B, and C together at uni-bios splash screen through retroarch on wii will bring up region menu

Buttons A, B, C, and D together at uni-bios splash screen through retroarch on wii will bring up memory card menu

Start and coin button brings up in game uni-bios menu

Kof2000 takes forever to load like 2 minutes vs all the others are within 10 to 20 seconds. I have tried a few different uni-bioses as well as some non uni-bioses they all take about 2 minutes to load. The game does work without issue though.

Any thoughts on why so far only kof2000 takes 6x longer than all the others?
KOF2000 takes 28 seconds for me, on SD card. I am using a plain Retroarch Nightly, though.

Last edited by niuus,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I really, really like to know is does the Newretro build crashes only with MSLUG3 and GAROU?

I haven't tried to look at this Sengoku 3 bug yet.

The 2 minutes is due to a missing Unibios or a bad Bios setting.

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Any other 'large games' other than those 2. Last blade, SVC and KOF2003 for example.

I want to know if the largest ones still load at least. Those were the biggest that had a special value : garou mslug3 kof2000 kof2003

In the test builds it's only kof2000 kof2003 where this Ram value is reduced

Last edited by Wiimpathy,
Reactions: MKKhanzo

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Any other 'large games' other than those 2. Last blade, SVC and KOF2003 for example.

I want to know if the largest ones still load at least. Those were the biggest that had a special value : garou mslug3 kof2000 kof2003

In the test builds it's only kof2000 kof2003 where this Ram value is reduced
All crash:
KOF2000
KOF2003
LASTBLAD
SVC

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pff so annoying... Off course you test with a clean install?
Maybe try to setup the system directory or whatever it's called(1st directory in settings if remembered correctly).

Do small games start at least?

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, just tested with stable retroarch 1.8.5. All FBA cores are broken!
They all go back to HBC. Except CPS3 that code dumps after loading cache. Great.

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
That's sad to read... they seem to don't care about the Wii. It was working really great with the last versions Wiimpathy worked on and now they destroyed all the good job... The Wii version really needs to be revised to be optimized and remove all unuseful stuff to make it lighter in size. That's the problem of multi-emulators. It would be great to have a stand alone NeoGeo emulator.

@Wiimpathy Compiling with the last version of your github is the "good" version you used for the "oldretro" version? What libwii version are you using, the last update?

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, this is frustrating. Off course, it's not deliberate. With so many things added and no dedicated dev and tester for Wii platform... it's quite hard. And it's not only my job but all fba cores are messed up right now. Needs confirmation on that. Perhaps, I missed something.
Reporting the issues at their github could help...

The last stable 1.8.4 from january was working. But that means inspecting 4 months of commits...

For oldretro, the core is from latest official : https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha2012_neogeo
And Retroarch from 22 january : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/tree/26ea9d9f0ccb66176b4986cf382a647ce4e01fc5

I'm still using DevkitPPC 29.1 and libogc 1.8.16. With the bloody latest devkit, dol is larger and unknown bugs are expected.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Yeah, this is frustrating. Off course, it's not deliberate. With so many things added and no dedicated dev and tester for Wii platform... it's quite hard. And it's not only my job but all fba cores are messed up right now. Needs confirmation on that. Perhaps, I missed something.
Reporting the issues at their github could help...

The last stable 1.8.4 from january was working. But that means inspecting 4 months of commits...

For oldretro, the core is from latest official : https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha2012_neogeo
And Retroarch from 22 january : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/tree/26ea9d9f0ccb66176b4986cf382a647ce4e01fc5

I'm still using DevkitPPC 29.1 and libogc 1.8.16. With the bloody latest devkit, dol is larger and unknown bugs are expected.
If it gives you any consolation, 1.8.5 FBA cores on the Vita are broken too. :lol:

seras13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
so idk if this is the right thread to ask this. first of all, great work wiimpathy!
i compiled several cores into FBA (including this Neo Geo one) and menaged to run 144 games like...perfectly on it.
really amazing job. so, what's the deal? well i am using FBA with his own core as a starter load for my arcade games on wii, and basically yeah i am new to all this libretro, retroarch stuff but it's pretty straight forward and i was able to play around with some configuration files and set my "wii arcade cabinet" so that i can chose some other core (like CPS1 or CPS2 for example) and when it loads and you go to "load content" it opens straight to the folder i set up with the games corresponding the selected core. but all the cores i am using (fba, cps1,cps2 and neogeo) are libretro i guess but the cps3 is retroarch one (idk if that's the right terminology as i said i am new to this but you get the gist.....when i load the other cores menu looks like the libretro ones, and when i load cps3 it looks like the standard retroarch is loaded with all 10000 options you can chose). yeah those options are neat but i am looking for something more straightforward and simpler for loading my games. i managed to cofigure cps3 a bit (menu color, and set some unnecessary stuff not to be shown, so it looks more like the same system/emulator all in all, but as you know it just can't be the same. too many folders, paths and clicks you have to go through before chosing the game). i know this is nitpicking but i like to have my stuff all set up neat so, again, don't know if this is the right place to ask, and i am sorry if it's not but is there a cps3 core for libretro like the cps1,cps2?
and also....this is related to the thread itself...is there any way i can get rid off neogeo.zip file not to be shown with the games?
i know it has to be in the same directory to run them but since you can't rename rom files whatever you want i put every game in separate folder (meaning 3 Count Bout folder would have 3countb.zip AND neogeo.zip inside etc... and kinda ruining my "all neat and dandy" set up of games.)
so yeah...sorry for this long question, english is not my first language i tried to be as understandable as i could, two questions i have are:
is there a way to hide/move somewhere else the neogeo.zip file with all the bios files inside, and is there a cps3 core for libretro? since that one and certain mame2003 core for midway games are the last two things i want to fix and set up my way, to finish my arcade collection on wii.
thx in advance!

Last edited by seras13,

LDB91

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has there ever been progress made on doing something like this for other FBA games that are too big like Guwange/the other big Cave 68k games, Power Instinct 2, etc? Or are there other reasons why those can't run on the Wii?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Regarding Retroarch 1.8.5... the cores are NOT broken.
Is the build of Retroarch that's broken.

I've tested this with the following:

• Retroarch 1.8.5 / 1.8.4 with 1.7.5 cores: It doesn't load them at all
  • Retroarch 1.7.5 with 1.8.5 cores: They loads SOME roms, but not all. Most of them brings a DSI Error Dump screen.

If anyone is wondering: I'm using 1.7.5 with different cores from old and new versions of retroarch and they work perfectly (not cores from 1.8.X because again, they load SOME of my roms and not all)

Last edited by JuanMena,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0HUC3gnPMZs&pp=ygUXTWVtY2FyZCBwcm8gMSwgMiBhbmQgZ2M%3D