Lameboy 2

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Zesu-chan, Dec 14, 2008.

Dec 14, 2008

Lameboy 2 by Zesu-chan at 6:55 AM (1,992 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Zesu-chan
    OP

Newcomer Zesu-chan Advanced Member

United States
    This is my second Lameboy topic. Sorry about making another one, but I need more information, and I think it's a bad idea to post my new question in the old topic, because if I posted a new post in the old topic, everybody would see the original post and not the new one at the bottom. But if I edited the first post, the topic wouldn't be bumped back up, so instead, I made a new one.

Firstly, why and how is 0.11 less stable than 0.09? That's what I read in the comments.

Secondly, I heard that multiplayer isn't possible with Lameboy, and yet the creator uses the word "multiplayer" in the description of 0.11

Finally, did anybody else notice that when you play Pokemon Red or Pokemon Blue or Pokemon Green, the game screen gets surrounded with a fancy Pokemon-themed background? Did the maker of Lameboy make those backgrounds, or did they come with the ROMS?

All replies and assistance are appreciated.

2. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Those backgrounds are somehow built into the roms, and the emulator decides to use them. They had the same ones if you played Pokemon from the GB Slot in Pokemon Stadium on N64. I think it's related to the Super Gameboy thing they had for SNES, but I do not know any specifics about that.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The Super Gameboy was an SNES cartridge that you put a GB game into, and it let you play the game on your TV using the SNES controller. It included a bunch of built-in palettes and screen borders that surrounded the image. In addition, it allowed for the GB game itself to supply its own palette and border (obviously this only worked for games that were made after the Super Gameboy was released). The Pokemon games do supply their own palette and border, and Lameboy makes use of this and displays them if you set the right option in the menu.

The colors that the GBC applied to GB games, on the other hand, cannot be replicated in an emulator since the color information for each and every game was hardcoded into the GBC BIOS, which cannot be dumped. It's not stored into the rom like the Super Gameboy data is.

Also note that the word "multiplayer" is related to the SGB as well, and is a bugfix. I don't know exactly what he's talking about there, but I can promise you that Lameboy has no multiplayer capabilities (aside from games that let 2 players use 1 Gameboy of course).

4. Zesu-chan
    OP

Newcomer Zesu-chan Advanced Member

United States
    Why can't a GBC BIOS be dumped? Can't we just use those files to make a new emulator?

Also, regarding my question with save files... will it work?

EDIT: Oh wait, I didn't ask that question in this topic.

5. Rod

Member Rod GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    What? I used Lameboy 0.9 for quite a time, and when I upgraded it to 0.11 I saw nothing but good changes. GBC emulation is way faster and more accurate, the only GBC game out of the ones I tested that I can't get 60FPS is Shantae.

6. Raylene2K7

Member Raylene2K7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jamaica
    What about Lameboy 0.12 ?
    why don't you guys use that, it's out since october

(unfortunately Super Mario Land 2 and WWF Superstars 1 still don't work)

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    Because Lameboy 0.12 is byte-for-byte the same file as Lameboy 0.11. It was a hoax.