Homebrew Question Lakka doesn't boot up

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
Lakka and android are on par when it comes to dolphin performance... Don't get your hopes up, you will mostly use dolphin's "frameskip" to get somewhat playable performance. Switch isn't powerful enough to handle gc/wii emulation. That being said, if you want just emulation, go for lakka (no need to format/partition sd card, just drag and drop). If want not only emulation, well, go for android... it doesn't need any explanation. You can try both as well...
Some Videos on YouTube are showing Nintendo Switch with Lakka and several Games running pretty well in my opinion.

And the thing about "just copy to sd and run lakka" if this would as easy as you can tell.. i tried it and i failed. I hope, if i can efford an samsung evo plus micro sdxc, it will help a lot.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Some Videos on YouTube are showing Nintendo Switch with Lakka and several Games running pretty well in my opinion.

And the thing about "just copy to sd and run lakka" if this would as easy as you can tell.. i tried it and i failed. I hope, if i can efford an samsung evo plus micro sdxc, it will help a lot.
You didn't fail, your sd card is just unfortunately incompatible with lakka... As for dolphin performance, you'll see for yourself, quite some games are indeed very playable, but we are talking about very small percentage of library.

jos010

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i went using android on switch and its pretty fun with dolphin and the emulators in the playstore, dont use lakka anymore cuz of it

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
You didn't fail, your sd card is just unfortunately incompatible with lakka... As for dolphin performance, you'll see for yourself, quite some games are indeed very playable, but we are talking about very small percentage of library.
Uhm ... I dont know why ... But, i was just successful to boot lakka on my switch now, same SD Card, not much changes .. in this forum someone recommend to use an older "coreboot.rom" cause of hekate.
And i just tried to use the latest if it and was trying to boot with this.. yea.. it worked 🙄😤😅
I will show some infos for other people, maybe this helps.

Nintendo Switch (2018) unpatched
StarDust CFW 13.2.1
AMS (Atmosphere) 1.2.6|S
Hekate 5.7.0
Nyx 1.2.0
Lakka 3.6
SanDisk 180GB (thats what Windows says, but i think its 256GB)

Reactions: pearlfect

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I tried a lot of games. Couldn't get any Wii game to run at playable speed except Super Paper Mario. But quite a few GC games run near full speed and if you set the emulated CPU speed in Dolphin to 40% they will have perfect audio even when there are some slowdowns. I tried other values but 40% works the best.
Paper Mario TTYD is very enjoyable, you can run it at 1.5-2x native resolution with minor slowdowns in busy areas (like some areas of Rogueport) and it looks quite good in handheld mode. At 1x native resolution it's pretty much locked at full speed (but looks less sharp)
Other GC games are hit and miss, even with the 40% emulated CPU speed some games will still have heavy slowdown and audio stuttering. Wii games usually have heavy slowdown and audio stuttering no matter what settings you use.
I tried about a dozen Wii games and a dozen GC games. Of the Wii games only 1 ran at playable speed (Super Paper Mario) still with quite a few slowdowns but no audio stuttering with the emulated CPU tweak and out of the GC games maybe 3-4 of them ran at near full speed, a couple still at playable speed and the other half were too slow.
I was using the MMJ fork of Dolphin on Switchroot. People say it performs the best. I didn't notice a huge difference between official and MMJ though.

Reactions: RaynorBlackwood

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
I tried a lot of games. Couldn't get any Wii game to run at playable speed except Super Paper Mario. But quite a few GC games run near full speed and if you set the emulated CPU speed in Dolphin to 40% they will have perfect audio even when there are some slowdowns. I tried other values but 40% works the best.
Paper Mario TTYD is very enjoyable, you can run it at 1.5-2x native resolution with minor slowdowns in busy areas (like some areas of Rogueport) and it looks quite good in handheld mode. At 1x native resolution it's pretty much locked at full speed (but looks less sharp)
Other GC games are hit and miss, even with the 40% emulated CPU speed some games will still have heavy slowdown and audio stuttering. Wii games usually have heavy slowdown and audio stuttering no matter what settings you use.
I tried about a dozen Wii games and a dozen GC games. Of the Wii games only 1 ran at playable speed (Super Paper Mario) still with quite a few slowdowns but no audio stuttering with the emulated CPU tweak and out of the GC games maybe 3-4 of them ran at near full speed, a couple still at playable speed and the other half were too slow.
I was using the MMJ fork of Dolphin on Switchroot. People say it performs the best. I didn't notice a huge difference between official and MMJ though.
Thanks for sharing your own experience! Im trying to run Gauntlet Dark Legacy in NGC, it works, but it works very slow, even on 1700MHz, im depending to turn the clock at max.. but im in fear that my switch will melt in my Hands ..
I didnt tried to play Wii Games, cause of there isnt really a game what i would prefer.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Just a quick note:
Some NGC Games are running pretty well, cpu clock always by 1700MHz and Cpu speed between 30% and 50%, this mostly works.
yeah, it works for a lot of 60fps games, but unfortunately this tweak won't help with 30fps games... cause they will become unplayable at lower framerates

Reactions: RaynorBlackwood

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Cuz of testing, i tried it on several games, but it changed nothing, can you tell for which games it works?
it helps a tiny bit for some games, wind waker is a good example, overclocking gpu for ww will add a little bit more stability to fps...but usually gpu oc is not needed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn