Laggy Jailbroken iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by BORTZ, Sep 6, 2012.

Sep 6, 2012

Laggy Jailbroken iPhone? by BORTZ at 10:03 PM (2,582 Views / 2 Likes) 28 replies

1. BORTZ
    OP

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    iPhone laggy after installing shiz from cydia?
    [​IMG]
    (WIP) comments, suggestions, and questions welcome.

I cant stand having and iPhone if its not jailbroken. Apple gets me most of the way, but there are just so many things i need patched though jailbreaks, so inevitably, my phone is slower and laggy thanks to so much stuff.

Well after rooting around the internet, Ive found im not the only one. Im here to help you get your phone running close to its original speeds again.

[​IMG] Make sure about these following things before continuing!

1. You need to be able to shush your phone. I mean SSH into your phone. Its the first guide on the list here.
    2. Remember when you are altering files inside your phone (SSH) you need to be very careful. Removing the wrong file, renaming it, altering incorrectly could send your phone into a bootup loop or something worse. Always backup your files. I make a copy on my desktop and also a second one in my phone, if necessary.

Now lets get started.

1.Remove unused files. These two steps will show you the most noticeable speed up to you device. Its the meat and potatoes of this guide.

1. Daemons

[​IMG]
    These are little loaders that are always running in the background of your device. There are some that you can get rid of to dramatically increase your speed of your device. Be sure to make a backup of this file. I did like i described above. I made a folder on my desktop and I also made a copy in my device with a slightly altered name so the phone wouldnt use that one.

First, SSH into your device and navigate to /System/Library. Now follow the list carefully and read the description of each before disabling it (slightly altering the name) or deleting it completely.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

2.iCleaner

[​IMG]

You can find this app the Cydia.
    Its divided into categories and lets you clean you cache of Safari, Apps, Log files, Cache files, Temp files, Cydia, Sources, unused deps, and other filetypes.
    Under that, one of the more useful things it does is remove language files. I know for a fact, you cant read all the languages installed on your idevice, so use this to delete the ones you dont have a use for.
    There are a few other options like remove image files and ther things. Its a fun little bundle of maintenance.

Other tips to keep your Idevice running fast and smooth.

1. Avoid Winterboard.
    [​IMG]
    It might make stuff look cool, but its a space hog and eats up your memory quick. If you cant live without it, go under the advanced settings and optimize your iphone theme images to iphone specific .pngs. It will take a little while, but makes theme images easier for your phone to handle.

From Yusuo: If you want to keep winterboard, replace the files yourself into your core system file, instead of using winterboard.

2. SBSettings.

[​IMG]
    Use your toggles. If you arent using you location, turn it off. If you arent using 3G, Wifi, etc, turn it off. You get the idea. This also saves battery. You can also use the "processes" toggle to force quit (think Ctrl+Alt+Del) apps running in the background and free up memory. If all else fails, you might need a respring.

ALTERNATIVE to SBSettings: NCSettings. Lightweight, only toggles you need. Uses a considerable amount less resources from your phone. Downside, you lose some of the absorbed software like Poof and Activator.

3. Cydia

[​IMG]
    Dont install EVERY tweak you see in Cydia. These little things add up, like with launch daemons, they will eventually bog you down.

4. Placebo effect.

[​IMG]
    This is more effective than you think. Search Cydia for "Speed Intensifier". It doesn't actually do anything other than speed up your system's animations. BUT there is a Speed Intensifier Add-on. Apparently it makes the phone think its plugged in and runs like its receiving extra power. While this isnt much, I think it might help, at the cost of your battery :unsure:
    [​IMG]
    There are a few other apps that do this, i had the best (fake) experience with Speed Intensifier. Now there is one id like to point out and for you to be wary of. iOverclock is a tweak/cydia app that sounds the most promising, but dont be fooled. It doesnt actually overclock your ARM processor. All it does it keeps app running at normal clock speed when your device is locked. This means the battery saving safeguards Apple originally put in place are removed when you lock your phone. Apps keep on trucking like your screen is on and in use. While this might speed up certain things, it WILL speed up how fast your battery depletion.

5. Spotlight.

I find spotlight useless and never use it. However if you do...The easiest by far. Go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search, and turn off everything you don't need. This will reduce the total amount of media that Spotlight needs to index, and this will in turn reduce the load on the system.
    [​IMG]
    (WIP) comments, suggestions, and questions welcome.​

2 people like this.

2. finkmac

Member finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I would recommend against #2... SBSettings uses a lot of resources as well, Use NCSettings. Much better.

1 person likes this.
  3. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    I will look into that.

4. Amber Lamps

Banned Amber Lamps Banned

United States
    Sounds like a huge waste of time to me. Everyone I know with an iphone whom used to jailbreak gave up because whenever there's an update, you need to scrounge around the net for updated wares. Any sane individual doesn't bother with this any more and just gets all the software legit these days. That is, unless you have tons of free time on your hands and don't have a job I suppose.

5. yusuo

Member yusuo GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Got NCSettings now, didn't even know it existed but it makes IOS look alot nicer.

Goodbye SBSettings (and thanks finkmac), only thing i'm wondering now, is how to hide apps without it, any ideas

1 person likes this.
  6. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    Thank you for your input, as unhelpful as it may be.

Here are 4 ways to back up right here, and one is built into Cydia. That was the first result from a Google search as well. So I would question your friends' ability to use google. On top of that, there hasnt been an update since early June.

@finkmac
    I am going to change the SBSettings to NCSettings as per your suggestion. But im going to leave iCleaner because ive noticed a speedup after using it.

@yusuo
    I dont know, ill look into it. I also need activator for certain things. Maybe ill just add NCSetting as a aternative for those who can use it without the absorbed software (poof, activator)

7. yusuo

United Kingdom
    Another thing is the only winterboard theme i use is minimal lockscreen, it basically gets rid of the black banners on the time and slide to unlock on the lockscreen, now where are the files i need to replace on the iphone, to get it looking like that as standard, im willing to get rid of winterboard but i can't be dealing with the banners

8. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    I still use winterboard.
    If you want to get away from those things, you should look into dreamboard. I have my phone set up to run like a Windows phone. But i use Winterboard to theme the rest of it and deal with the slowdown. But these steps really got my phone running faster again.

It looks like you can still get Activator and Poof from cydia as stand alone apps from Cydia. Use Poof to hide icons and stuff.

9. yusuo

United Kingdom
    Don't worry I replaced the files inside the framework of the iphone, my theme still stays intact even though ive turned everything off in Winterboard, so now I can completely remove winterboard with no loss of my unique look lol

Activator I already have as a standalone app, ive never used it in SBSettings anyways

10. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    Ok sweet. I didnt know if you could get them without SBS. But you can.

11. yusuo

United Kingdom
    It looks like they were just built into SBS for convenience but poof is now in control of hiding my apps, and my phone is now noticeably quicker, it used to lag for a second or 2 when opening the dialler, now its instant, so im happy.

Some of your tips helped (iCleaner for me cleared 700mb and i didn't even know it existed), but you did brush over a few things i think. getting rid of winterboard helped alot but you should also mention that you can keep your theme intact if you replace the images in the core system folder

12. Amber Lamps

Banned Amber Lamps Banned

United States
    When you decide to crawl out there into the real world one day, you'll find very quickly that the hobby of doing iphone hacks will quickly go *poof* when you have more meaningful things to attend to in life than squatting a gaming forum and hacking gadgets to pirate apps that cost pennies.

However I'm not saying that I'm opposed to piracy per say it is just that eventually it gets old. You'll find out what I mean some day.

13. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    I dont really understand why you are bombarding my topic with negativity. I am just giving back to the board that helped me so much.
    Anyways, maybe it will someday. But ive been at ir for 5 years and it hasnt gotten old yet... so until then I am happy doing what im doing. :D

Wait wait is there something in my guide that eases piracy?

1 person likes this.
  14. finkmac

Canada
    As for winterboard alternatives, There was a piece of software called "Winterboarder" that would theme without using substrates, but it was complicated to set up…

It has been superseded by another tweak called "regenerate"… I'm not sure if it's ready, though… I know the developer, so I'll get some more information…

As for NCSettings, it's developed by a guy that used to develop for a Custom Firmware i'm involved in.

While I do agree that it is somewhat pointless to Jailbreak iDevices, that attitude isn't going to get you anywhere…

Personally, I Jailbreak devices that don't receive updates anymore, such as my 1G iPod Touch…

A couple of points…

1. Jailbreaking is somewhat easy these days, and maintaining a jailbreak is often times as easy as not updating…

2. Many Jailbreakers live in "the real world", as you put it, and use "hacks", as you put it, to make their iDevices work in ways that suite them.

3. Hacked PSP ≠ Pirated games, Similarly, Hacked iPhone ≠ Cracked Apps, I admit that many people Jailbreak for the cracked apps, but there are many other reasons to jailbreak, like being able to install extra notification centre widgets…

4. Both Developers listed above are quite successful in life. Both do not seem to be tiring of developing.

1 person likes this.
  15. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    I really appreciate your input. I dont see you post very much.

16. finkmac

Canada
    http://www.whited00r.com/forum/index.php?topic=6288.0

That's the link for "Regenerate" (it doesn't theme UIImages - yet… )

Take a look around the whited00r.com site and forum, you might find some good information :)

True, the main reason is that this community seems to be particularly vicious to Apple users…

I usually only post when I have something meaningful to say, or when a discussion is particularly interesting.

1 person likes this.
  17. BORTZ
    OP

United States
    Hmmmmm. I look forward to that. That would eliminate the slowdown caused my winterbaord.

18. yusuo

United Kingdom
    What, you mean the day I have 2 kids, my own house and earning £55k a year, cause that day has already come, doesn't mean I cant enjoy fiddling with technology sometimes Amber Lamps

19. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    But the updates are pretty much useless (except for little tweaks like accessing the camera from the lockscreen or whatever) and take ages to download. Not worth the time nor giving up jailbreaking.
    This is an excellent guide; well done.

1 person likes this.
  20. yusuo

United Kingdom
    Yes i forgot to say thanks for the guide, it gave me ideas which really do make alot of difference