Hacking Lagging and freezing caused by bad sd card?

StarWallace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have both an AK2i and EZVi that i ave been using and both have the same symptoms.

I recently started playing tales of Innocence with the recent Absolute Zero patch release and have been having some sporadic and persistent problems... the game at various random times will freeze without warning (it could be after a battle, mid cut scene, or even just standing on the street). it seems very odd to me because there is no rhyme or reason to it and i kinda scares me a little bit because i don't wanna get caught with a ton of time spent playing without a chance to save, only to end up frozen... It rather hard to play a game peacefully with that kinda nervous fear in the back of your mind. Also the game, in certain sections of certain cities, will lags i walk past the section but not totally freeze. I have a sneaking suspicion that this isn't just a design flaw from the original game, but rather something on my end.

Also in a different situation with my playing of Nostalgia prior to getting the ToI patch, i had had severe freezing problems with it... it would always happen at a very specific time: in the cut scene where the girl you meet early on in the game (i forget her name atm), her home town is being attacked as they return from upgrading the airship. The moment she yells elder!" and they cut to the old man, it freezes at that moment every time. This event i have tested and it happens on both my flash carts no exceptions...

I have recently reformatted and reloaded both sd cards and still they continue to be problemed. I have also tried on my original DS Phat (only tested the Nostalgia problem so far on the DSP) and it still is problemed in the same way as on my DSi. I also tried testing Nostalgia on a DeSmuME but i refused to allow me to import the save file...

I really dont want to get caught off guard when the card craps out on me and i lose my ToI saves... and i'd really like to be able to progress more into Nostalgia but cant get past the freeze... My only thoughts are that something could be wrong with my SD cards... and if that's the case, should i get a new one? (or two) or persistently keep a back up of my saves on my comp maybe?

but when it comes down to it... i dont really want a safety measure... i was really hopeing that someone might have any more ideas that i could try to solve the freezing issues...

(also, i apologize if this isnt the right forum for this topic...)

StarWallace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i just did all the leg work(keyboard work rather) to make my cell phones 2gb card into an ak2i and tried it with Akaio 1.7 and it worked to get passed the freeze in notalgia.... but i wonder.. i had been using akaio1.5 before... now i wonder if the update played a factor...

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StarWallace said:
Lagging and freezing caused by bad sd card?
Been there, got the T-shirt.
Never skimp on the SD card purchase.
Cheap cards nearly always cause issues, it is rarely the flash cart or firmware at fault.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
...big games with cut scenes are easy to end up freezing under certain circumstances.

im pretty sure if you backed up your old sd, formated them and then, in one swoop, put all the games and saves back on it (probably get ToI and Nostalgia fresh) it should work again

StarWallace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i've already tried the reformatting thing and id didnt work...

and as for the quality of the card... isn't lexar a decent brand? i didnt really go cheap on that... i mean the 2gb card from my phone is an OEM no name but i was enough to get past the Nostalgia freezing problem... (but i just tried ToI and it still lags... and i managed to come across a freeze in it too...)

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
StarWallace said:

and as for the quality of the card... isn't lexar a decent brand? i didnt really go cheap on that... i mean the 2gb card from my phone is an OEM no name but i was enough to get past the Nostalgia freezing problem... (but i just tried ToI and it still lags... and i managed to come across a freeze in it too...)
I found that one out too.
The larger the card the better the quality has to be to prevent issues.
1gb and 2gb cards you seem to be able to get away with any old crap, 4gb seem to be fairly tolerant and for 8gb and above be very careful about which card you purchase.
The chances of getting a lemon seem to increase exponentially with card size.

StarWallace

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i suppose i have to just tough it out and keep backups of my saves every few days just to be safe.

i have been looking into getting a Supercard DSTWO and i just figured a 4gb card to go with... getting it from shoptemp with the kingston bundled card wouldn't be a bad idea would it? I would think that kingston is a fairly reliable brand and hopefully the fresh sd card will help...

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xilo said:
Do you guys recommend 4gb or 8gb cards?

Which is the best and what brand?
If you don't mind spending a little extra go for a Samsung Plus. Choose whichever size your budget will allow.
22001_1259680161.jpg

xilo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mantis41 said:
xilo said:

If you don't mind spending a little extra go for a Samsung Plus. Choose whichever size your budget will allow.
22001_1259680161.jpg
Those seem to be only available in UK.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
xilo said:

22001_1259680161.jpg

Strange, I've searched on Amazon and even on the Samsung official site, and cannot seem to find any outside of the UK.

NinjaMic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
StarWallace said:

I found that one out too.
The larger the card the better the quality has to be to prevent issues.
1gb and 2gb cards you seem to be able to get away with any old crap, 4gb seem to be fairly tolerant and for 8gb and above be very careful about which card you purchase.
The chances of getting a lemon seem to increase exponentially with card size.
I learned this the hard way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.