L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Mr. Looigi

Mr. Looigi Yes and no

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Looigi's Mansion
    We’re getting closer to Cemu on the switch...

NoNAND likes this.
  2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Antarctica
    Can't wait for yuzu in Switch!

Dan-the-Rebirth likes this.
  3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Anyone has done Freedos or dosbox already?

4. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

GBAtemp Patron
    VashTS is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    is it possible to have a dual boot SD card? id love to get this running but I'm not switching SD cards just to get GC emulation earlier than HOS

5. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Thanks, Ill grab this again in the morning!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Still can't seem to get my usb stick to detect in linux though. Plug it in and...... nothing.

And just to confirm, yes, it's an original and works perfectly fine, not a clone.
    This is the one I have https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12Pme...B-128GB-256GB-usb3-0-mini-Pen.jpg_640x640.jpg

I'm not too great with Linux and terminal (only mild dabling), so if someone can or wants to make a little guide with commands to build the Vulkan build of Dolphin on our glorious little tablet, that would be a huge help to some of us!

Last edited by StarGazerTom, Apr 29, 2019
    MassiveRican likes this.
  6. jug5

jug5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Thanks for this great work, dead easy to setup and working very well so far.

The problem I have is the kernel is ultra stripped down to the point of lacking basic features (supporting my USB3 NIC and no nfs).

Which kernel sources should I be building from? Also what is the cross compile target?

Last edited by jug5, Apr 29, 2019
  7. MFxTonyx420

MFxTonyx420 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Hello, I'm having a somewhat similar issue. My digitizer isn't working on my Switch so my touchscreen doesn't work at all. I am not able to get past where it wants me to accept the terms. any chance you will be able to help me out as well? My Twitter is @mftAR15

**EDIT** nvm, i fixed the issue by using a wireless mouse

Last edited by MFxTonyx420, Apr 29, 2019
  8. achoissoumsaco

achoissoumsaco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    Brazil
    Would you mind explaining more about this process? I am a SX OS user too and completely lost.

9. jug5

jug5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Just go to github and pick up CTCaer/tx_custom_boot.py and use it to create a boot.dat with hekate inside. That's the easiest. I can't post links sorry, in the CTCaer/hekate repo issue #82 links to the python script.

MassiveRican and achoissoumsaco like this.
  10. achoissoumsaco

achoissoumsaco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    Brazil
    Thank you very much for the prompt response. I'm still a bit confused. I could find the tx_custom_boot.py, downloaded it, but I still don't know what I am supposed to do with this file. Should I put it in some directory of Hecate?

11. Dominith

Dominith Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    Peru
    It works with a 64gb micro sd?

12. jug5

jug5 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    United States
    Correct, extract the latest hekate bin in the same directory then change line 31 (stage2_fn = 'hekate_ctcaer_3.2.bin') of tx_custom_boot.py to the filename of hekate in the same directory. Then just run the tx_custom_boot.py and it will create a new boot.dat file. Put that in the FAT32 partition of the microsd card.

Yes anything larger than 16GB.

achoissoumsaco likes this.
  13. De4dm4sterBR

De4dm4sterBR Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    Brazil
    Someone managed to solve the black screen problem? I leaved my switch on that black screen for about 15 minutes and nothing.

14. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Anyone installed kodi? I keep getting packages have unmet dependencies.

15. achoissoumsaco

achoissoumsaco Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2019
    Brazil
    Wow, that cleared a lot. Thank you. Did everything you said, including realocating a bit of space in the microsd to send the boot.dat to the FAT32 partition. The only trouble I am facing now is how to run the python script. Sorry, I am a noob. Can you help me with this?

16. iotdevnet

iotdevnet Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2019
    Bulgaria
    Hi to all this ubuntu make me register here :)
    To the question yes you need to format your sdcard first recomending on linux and do this

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/"yoursdcard" bs=4M
    then restore the image with this comand

dd if=/"path to the image" of=/dev/"yoursdcard" bs=4M

then use gparted to resize the ext4 partition to fir your sdcard size

put your cart to switch then make l4t autoboot shutdown from menu
    power on switch and inject the peyload to boot hecate :) that all this works 100% all the time

===========================================

Yes tryed game of trons 1080p on Kodi works perfectly fine :)
    Kodi is installing and working and i saw they use Nvidia drivers :) not mesa

Tomorow more testing and usb ethernet adapters not work maybe the kernel is some striped one we need kernel with more drivers guys :)

17. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    I installed it earlier. After you reboot, you'll have to change the front end you're using away from kodi, underneath the password bar, but it's still there, and it works.

Also, to make sure you're on latest, terminal
    Sudo apt-get update
    Sudo apt-get upgrade

18. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I've tried installing it, always results in error. I've already tried the update and upgrade. Nothing works.

19. StarGazerTom

Feb 2, 2015
    That's...... really strange. I'm afraid I can't help you. I'm not super versed in Linux usage.

20. heyheyitsjoeway

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    I'm fairly certain some Class-10 64GB SanDisk MicroSDs are causing issues with this. I just went from one of those to a normal speed 16GB Samsung and it installed on the first go.

Someone else in the thread has mentioned this same SanDisk card having issues:

I was struggling to get this card to boot and when it did it was extremely unstable.

tldr: If anyone's having issues with booting or instability, try using a different SD.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted