Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator02 said:
that design is so horrible, I really hope it is something more like this:
nintendo-3ds-images.jpg
I do actually like that design. I'd like one like that. As mockups went, that was actually a very good one.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seriously, can people not wait another 3-5 fucking days to see if Nintendo reveals at least the prototype? These mock ups are painfully bad and people need to stop making bullshit assumptions about what the thing is going to look like and what the final specs are going to be. Just damn well wait you impatient arseholes.

Nobunaga

Empty
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hopefully this isn t 3DS i am thinking 3DS won t have an analog and it will be same like the old ds series just saying...

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nikolay said:
Terminator02 said:
nintendo-3ds-images.jpg

It would be so awkward to hold and use that thing.

Probably because it was designed by a halfwit... and the Kotaku "mock up" looks no better. It would be incredibly stupid for the screens on the final hardware to be differently sized, and it's equally stupid for people to assume they will be when doing these mock ups.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Bladexdsl said:
what a shitty mockup are they blind to not see the analog stick? where is that?!
laugh.gif

It is pretty bad, and only gets worse the more you think about it. Though I already posted this in the other thread, I'll post it here as well.

Assuming for a moment that the 3-D widescreen LCD Nintendo is using is Sharp's parallax barrier touhscreen that recently went into mass production, that makes it 3.4" across the diagonal. With its 854x480 resolution, it has a roughly 16:9 aspect ratio, or ~1.78:1. That would put its other measurements at 2.96" across and 1.67" tall.

So compared to the DS Lite's screen, that 3.4" widescreen is less than half an inch longer... 0.47", to be precise; and due to the widescreen proportions it's actually 0.2" shorter than a DS Lite screen. Compared to the DSi's screen there's even less of a difference in length, only 0.36" longer... and 0.28" shorter.

Based on that, the presentation of the widescreen in that mock up is considerably larger than it should be... it also means that there shouldn't be any problem in something the size of a DS Lite (or perhaps just 0.5" - 1" longer) accomodating dual widescreen LCDs while keeping enough room for the buttons/D pad/analog stick.

For anyone that's interested, the green area in this indicates the true dimensions of the Sharp parallax barrier touchscreens relative to the bottom, DSi touchscreen. The mock up features a top screen with an aspect ratio of approximately 2.5:1, so grossly exaggerated from modern widescreen standards that it's not even funny. Do they expect us to watch old "dawn of widescreen"-era cinema on it?

3dsmockup.jpg

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
nintendo-3ds-images.jpg
Shoulder buttons are my main problem with that design, but he at least thought about DS compatibility properly

Image2..jpg

This thing is TERRIBLE!! How the hell could you play DS games on that?

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Jun 11 2010, 10:32 PM) Probably because it was designed by a halfwit... and the Kotaku "mock up" looks no better. It would be incredibly stupid for the screens on the final hardware to be differently sized, and it's equally stupid for people to assume they will be when doing these mock ups.
Why exactly? I don't see any problem with this at all. The bottom screen will probably be used entirely differently in 3DS games to how it was used in DS games. It definitely won't be used like something Sonic Rush style (rushing between screens) due to the lack of 3D. Its probably just gonna be a radar screen or otherwise.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Jamstruth said:
Why exactly? I don't see any problem with this at all. The bottom screen will probably be used entirely differently in 3DS games to how it was used in DS games. It definitely won't be used like something Sonic Rush style (rushing between screens) due to the lack of 3D. Its probably just gonna be a radar screen or otherwise.

From an aesthetic standpoint, it's simply ugly; period. Functionally, if the screens are supposedly close enough together to functoin as a single display (as early rumours hinted at), the effect would be ruined if the top screen were wide and the bottom remained 4x3.

Also, leaving the bottom screen like that reduces the possibility of developers. As you said, it would only really be able to function as a secondary display/radar screen/etc. That's pointless. Not all games will use 3-D, and some developers might want to have 2 screens to work with for a main display, even if one of them isn't 3-D (although both screens could very well be 3-D, who knows at this point?). The buttom screen being 4x3 reigns in a lot of that potential from the start, which would be a bonehead move.

The original article that first described that FCC submission made a point of mentioning that they believed the final 3DS would have two widescreen LCDs... I think it's a shame most people just looked at the picture and made their judgements on that, rather than actually reading.

Lube_Skyballer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why does everyone keep complaining about the design of the mockup? For Pete's sake it's a MOCKUP! A friggin' mockup!

Nintendo is a big company and has been reinventing the gaming industry for many years (and many years to come). I can assure you Nintendo is not going to release a "flawed" handheld or one that's plain ugly (or something like that).

Nintendo has always been one of the leaders in the gaming industry! They know what they're doing!

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Lube_Skyballer said:
Nintendo is not going to release a "flawed" handheld or one that's plain ugly (or something like that).
The DS (Phat, that is) was actually plain ugly. But Ninty most likely has learned from their mistakes and will make the 3DS a beauty. Or at least I hope so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...