Hacking Kingston 1GB Micro SD card $11 + FREE SHIPPING!!!

D

dude

Yeah, exactly... There are two versions I've heard of in the USA (BOTH can be made in EITHER Japan or Taiwan, so carefully read the label in the back):

SDC/1GB ASSY in Japan - the one I am currently using (haven't had any problems)

SDC/1GBKR ASSY in Japan - I had this one previously, and it's supposed to be identical to the one above, but I personally experienced some freezing in POR and Tony Hawk Jam, so I returned it. YMMV

I also had the Kingston Taiwan versions, and exchanged them for Japanese versions by contacting Kingston directly (the Japanese versions definitely have higher reading rates and faster access times, as they are made by Toshiba for Kingston)

dude

tryp2nite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got mine(in CA). Ordered 2 days ago.
It's the Taiwan card.
frown.gif

Will be contacting Kingston.

jmilow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just checked the Future Shop website again and it says the Kingston 1GB microSD that they are selling is SDC/1GBCR. Does anyone know what "CR" stands for?

D

dude

I just checked the Future Shop website again and it says the Kingston 1GB microSD that they are selling is SDC/1GBCR. Does anyone know what "CR" stands for?

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like a version localized for your particular region (the model numbers I mentioned are USA versions). Probably the important part is whether it's assembled in Japan or not (HDTACH gave me significantly higher results with the Japanese cards relative to the Taiwan cards)

dude

PhoneGuy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered 1. Specified I wanted a card labeled Japan rather Taiwan in the special instructions. I received one marked Taiwan. Taiwan is clearly visible on the card through the clear plastic package and on the stickers on the package.

tryp2nite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ordered 1. Specified I wanted a card labeled Japan rather Taiwan in the special instructions. I received one marked Taiwan. Taiwan is clearly visible on the card through the clear plastic package and on the stickers on the package.

I did the exact same thing w/ the "special instructions". Got the Taiwan card.

However, I contacted Kingston and it looks like they are going to replace it.

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered two cards on Thursday, but left no special instructions (I figured the chances of it being read were slim to nothing, and I had a vague curiosity in seeing where pure chance would land me). Monday, two Taiwan cards came via USPS.

Oh, well. They work fine, and it was a good price.

the_massakre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i ordered one a week ago and one two days ago,i got the one from 2 days ago today and i dont recall about the week ago one, but one was taiwan and one was japan

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want a guaranteed Japanese version 1GB MicroSD card for $14 with free shipping as well, go to the link in my sig (the R4 deal) and search on the website for "MicroSD" The ones they have are made in Japan. Hope this helps.

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My card from Meritline is Made in Taiwan, but it works just fine. I have an original POR cart so I don't have any problems.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just got two Kingston 1GBs from Meritline today. Both assembled in Japan. I plan on starting Portrait of Ruin TODAY.

EDIT: ...Or not. Having problems formatting the card. Looks like it's bugged somehow. Even if I put the OS on it for R4DS, it freezes at the Loading screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh