Hacking Kingmax Announces 4GB Capacity on a Tiny MicroSDHC

khalidosan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Kingmax announced their new MicroSDHC which is not only spacious and small but also fast with a speed of 22.5MB per sec
blink.gif
check it out HERE

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
SDHC = Secure Digital High Capacity (flash memory)

would a microSD HC be compatible with the existing flashcards?
anyway, the speed seems amazing. The price of this little baby must be far above my budget.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK SDHC cards are NOT backwards compatible with plain old SD card readers/SD supporting devices. While they DO maintain the same size and connection interface, they are based on completely new standards.

Thanks a lot to the creators of SD for dropping yet another flash format upon an already saturated market.

PineappleH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif
At first I thought this thread was about memory cards, but after clicking on the link and seeing the pic, I went:
wtf.gif
credit cards? Then I look to the lower left hand corner and finally: Oooo
laugh.gif

Thnx for the heads up
yaynds.gif

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Oooh, I so want a 4 GB microSD compatible with current devices (namely R4DS and M3 Lite). I'd like to partition it on three parts:

- 3,2 GB for use in my NDS and music;
- 0,4 GB for use with portable Windows applications;
- 0,4 GB for use with a portable Linux distribution (for example Slax);

And R4 already comes with a handy little microSD reader.

*dreams on*

DShunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Same thing happening to Memory Sticks (Sony's owns flash card media based format)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0612/06121101...ystickprohg.asp

It seems all leading format and brands are adopting the higher and better capacity format, it is unknown whatever or not this devices will be 100% compatible with older devices let alone the retail price, but I expect it to be more than 2 times higher than of a 8GB memory card.

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the record, the reason this happens is because people stop buying memory cards after a while. Personally, I've got like 5 different SD cards already. Every new format that they use in devices is another type of memory card that you have to buy. Since the flash memory lasts a long time, they needed to come up with another way to make money.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need more than CF, SD, and microSD, but with all these other formats (like my xD memory for my digital camera, or Sony's own Memory Stick stuff) things are really way too complicated.

ydnar64

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the record, the reason this happens is because people stop buying memory cards after a while. Personally, I've got like 5 different SD cards already. Every new format that they use in devices is another type of memory card that you have to buy. Since the flash memory lasts a long time, they needed to come up with another way to make money.Â

In a perfect world we wouldn't need more than CF, SD, and microSD, but with all these other formats (like my xD memory for my digital camera, or Sony's own Memory Stick stuff) things are really way too complicated.

I couldn't say it better myself! How many people honestly have a flash card go bad on them? Yet i have 4 diffrent formats for 4 diffrent uses. How else would they make there money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...