Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance BCSAR Tool

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Some1fromthedark, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Some1fromthedark
    OP

Some1fromthedark Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2017
    United States
    California
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here on GBATemp, and I would like to kick it off with a bang by showing off a tool that I made.
    This tool is a .bcsar extractor and rebuilder allowing you to extract files from a .bcsar file as well as rebuild a new .bcsar from modified files.

The tool is open source, and the code is available at my bitbucket account: https://bitbucket.org/Some1fromthedark/kh_ddd_bcsar_tool

Version 1.0.0 is currently available there, and in the Release folder there is a .exe that has already been compiled if you don't wish to compile the code yourself.

I also created a Youtube video demonstrating how to use the tool, as well as showcasing a proof of concept where I replaced Sora's blizzard sound effect in DDD with the one he has in Kingdom Hearts 1:

Disclaimer: This tool was specifically developed for Kingdom Hearts DDD, and I offer no guarantee that it will work on bcsar files from other games. If you are having issues with files from other games, you can post about the problems you are encountering, and I may or may not update the tool in the future to support other games.

2. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    This is pretty awesome!
    @Jouzai & @Stjinchan , this works with ACNL, you could start changing the smaller sounds now in your packs! :)

3. Stjinchan

Stjinchan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    Netherlands
    Monte 'd Or
    Ayy! Will take a look at it when I have time

4. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    I just took a look at the bcwavs in foobar (vgmstream extension) it seems KK songs are broken up into pieces :/ And really small piece, the pitch for each bcwav doesn't change or anything. So the game must stitch them together :(

FlappyFalco likes this.
  5. shaneod

shaneod GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2011
    Works with Flipnote Studio 3D, thanks :)

Last edited by shaneod, Jun 16, 2017
  6. DeoNaught

DeoNaught ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Over there ;)
    This changes sound affects?

7. Some1fromthedark
    OP

Some1fromthedark Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2017
    United States
    California
    Yes, this tool allows you to extract the sounds from the somnium.bcsar file. If you replace the .bcwav files it extracts with your own custom sounds, and them rebuild the .bcsar as shown in the tutorial, then you can change the sounds in the game.

DeoNaught likes this.
  8. Bungee_Cord

Bungee_Cord Member

Newcomer
    Apr 29, 2017
    United States
    I can finally change the item jingle in ACNL!

9. Kafkakama

Kafkakama Member

Newcomer
    Apr 15, 2017
    Belgium
    Awake when nobody else is.
    If the BCWAV I'd like to use to replace a sound is bigger in size than the original BCWAV, am I just stuck or is there something I may be able to do?

EDIT

I think I have an inkling on the sort of process it would be. I'm replacing a whole bunch of voices for a character, and luckily the final size of the replaced files is less than the original size.

I can pad the last file in the group to match the original size of the files, but the pointers would be wrong for every other voice file in the group. I would have to go around and change the pointers myself individually.

Any input on this would be great.

Last edited by Kafkakama, Jul 15, 2017
  10. dahacker2017

dahacker2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2016
    United States
  11. Some1fromthedark
    OP

Some1fromthedark Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2017
    United States
    California
    When combining the BCWAV files into a BCWAR file, the tool already corrects the pointers for you. In my limited testing that I did before I released the tool, I found that even with the corrected pointers, if the file sizes of the BCWAV files was changed KH DDD would not run correctly. I have not yet determined the cause of this issue, but in future updates to the tool I hope to support all file sizes.

The first number is the value of the length field in the .bcsar header, the second value is the actual length of the .bcsar file. As you can see there is a discrepancy. Without knowing more details, I can only give you ideas for what the problem might be. Are you sure the .bcsar file was extracted properly? It might be missing the second half of the file.

12. dahacker2017

dahacker2017 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2016
    United States
    yes it was brain dumped and romfsed

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

pm me for more