Kid Icarus: Uprising Tournament

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Devin, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    [​IMG]

A Tourney?

As many of you guys know the official GBAtemp review of the GW3DS flash kit was published this morning. To celebrate the occasion the Staff and I have agree to run a tournament. Specifically a Kid Icarus: Uprising tournament hosted by yours truly.

What's the prize?

To celebrate the publishing of the GW3DS flash kit review we're giving away.. Wait for it. A brand new GW3DS flash kit. Complete with a red GW3DS flash cart, and a blue DS flash cart that works up on 3DS' up to 6.X firmware. There's only one prize and it's for the Kid Icarus: Uprising champion.

How's this tourney going to run?

The way this Tourney is going to run is quite simple. I'll gather a list of participants that sign up in this thread and categorize them into teams based their corresponding time zones. Depending on how many of you sign up will decide how large the teams for each match are going to be. The game type will be a Light v.s. Dark team battle where the people who did the worst on each team lose. In each game the team members will be swapped randomly. You could still be playing with the same people, or you could be playing for the team you just beat. To explain this better here's an example.

There are two teams. Team A has 6 players, and Team B also has 6 players. The two team will compete in a Light v.s. Dark battle, and the people who did the worst on each team loses. Making it so both teams have 5 members now. For the next round I'll be changing the team members at random. So 3 of the members of Team A could be on Team B, and 3 members of Team B could be changed to Team A. The teams that battle against each other will change, but I'm hoping to keep the teams in time zones that don't have much of a time difference. Once there's only one person left on each team there will be a final showdown between them all where whoever is first, is the Kid Icarus: Uprising Champion.

How do I sign up?

To sign up simply post in this thread with your information in this format.

I'll be grouping users by time zones so that tournament participants that are in close enough time zones will be paired together. This allows everyone to participate without having to stay up extremely late in order to compete with people from other far off time zones.

Signups end on August 27th at 11:59 EST. The contest is open to everyone except banned members, as well as blacklisted traders. So sign up now, and start training! More in-depth rules will be posted before the actual tournament starts.

wiiluver135 likes this.
  2. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    RedZero - 2363 6674 0779 and EST

3. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Is this not as popular a game as I thought? I was expecting the thread to be filled with entries. :/

4. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Sam 0087-2687-9672 Eastern, don't care about time zones

5. Valkart

Valkart GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2009
    Colombia
    Bogotá
    Valkart ~ 3265-5142-5126 ~ GMT -5 ~ I prefer to play on european or american time zones (no offense on you asians, the difference of our time zones is huge xD)

6. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Wished my L button worked right now. Not for the prize, I still don't want a GW3DS (But I do respect it now), but just for an excuse to get back into this awesome game.

7. tropireno

tropireno Member

Newcomer
    May 17, 2008
    United States
    tropireno - 1778-9411-5031 - EST - I prefer equal time zones.

God I am going to suck. I haven't played this in a long time.

8. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it has only been a few hours devin, give it time. i pinned your topic, which should also help.

-another world

nukeboy95 likes this.
  9. covkill75

covkill75 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2013
    United States
    wade 3007-8561-0223 eastern time

10. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    are you banning any weapons? or item setups?

11. someonewhodied

someonewhodied Lazy Person

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    someonewhodied (username) / MnK*SWD (In-game name) / 0044-2817-7751 / Pacific Time Zone / I can play in any time zone difference as long as its not on a friday and its between 4PM and 10PM (Available all day on weekends)

Also the (small) competetive scene does actually have a banlist we use, if you don't mind adopting that for this tourney:

Weapons:
    Brawler Claws, Angel Bow, Atlas Club, Capricorn Club, Magnus Club, Predator Cannon, Eyetrack orbs, Gemini orbs, Taurus Arm

Powers:
    Aries Armour, Trade Off, Bumblebee, Play Dead, Slipshot

12. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Oh wow...
    I'm scared to enter because of my rather high leveled weapons... but I'll try I guess.
    4639-9260-6073 EST time.
    I'm also wondering if they're banning any weapons or setups... If they don't this could get pretty chaotic.
    Pretty much available only on weekends thugh since school starts for me this week. At 4 PM

13. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    Lost my copy of Kid Icarus months ago, but got another one on eBay and it was supposed to come in yesterday. I'll put in an entry sometime this week, even though my abilites/weapons set-ups will be from completely scratch :\

14. someonewhodied

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    Why not do a standard 1v1s tourney though? Most people don't like trust battles.

15. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Change it to Mario kart 7, after all it is a 3DS Essential with its own sticked thread .Its one of the 3 most popular(and competitive) 3DS Games.

16. someonewhodied

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    We had a MK7 tourney on the temp not too long ago. Its nice to see variety.

17. kingsora831

kingsora831 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 15, 2012
    United States
    NYC in College
    You have a Gateway that runs up to 6.x firmware, or am I reading that wrong?
    Or maybe you got some insight the rest of us don;t have ;)

18. someonewhodied

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    the blue card works up to 6.X but the red one that plays 3ds roms only works up to 4.5 for now.

19. Rubix91

Rubix91 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2013
    United States
    Can I join, but not play for the prize? As in, if I were to win, then 2nd place gets it (Implying that this be a 1v1 tourney, rather than a FFA w/ teams)
    Anyway, 5327-1402-4338
    EST timezone.

20. proapc

proapc Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2008
    Colombia
    Colombia
    - A P C -
    0903 2878 6190
    GMT -5
    i don't care about time zones

21. Daidude

Daidude The genius

Apr 7, 2010
    somewhere
    Daidude
    my friend code is in my signature
    GMT
    I would prefer racing people from my timezone but I don't mind too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.