Kickstarter: Soul Saga

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
To help spread word of the project or projects. Games, movies, music, whatever take a hell of a lot to get done and if a kickstarter helps pull the project through (no matter how far along it was before hand) than that is an awesome thing. Any project that looks like it will actually pull through kinda deserves a bit of news to get it to its goal, and let those who are interested in it but didn't know it existed, know.

My personal example is with A hat in time, where I funded it the moment I learned about it through GBAtemp. :)

It's still kinda strange. Good, newsworthy posts get moved around all the time even though they belong in this section. It just seems more logical that Kickstarters would go somewhere else in the forum.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
The devs in talks with Shahid to bring this game to Vita.
It looks like a nice throwback but I need to see more I've already backed A.N.N.E and C-Wars this year so need to see more epicness before I back more.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting sick of throwbacks and love letters and retro tributes and shit. How about we get Indie games that actually have some sort of new mechanic or built on a solid story and fun gameplay rather then nostalgia.

There's a reason games aren't made like this anymore.

Reactions: ggyo

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting sick of throwbacks and love letters and retro tributes and shit. How about we get Indie games that actually have some sort of new mechanic or built on a solid story and fun gameplay rather then nostalgia.

There's a reason games aren't made like this anymore.
1) Are you serious?

2) Yes, because you can't have a game with a new mechanic or built on a solid story and fun gameplay with nostalgia.

3) Would you rather they make heavy or only multiplayer focus, grey and brown FPS?

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Are you serious?

Yes.

2) Yes, because you can't have a game with a new mechanic or built on a solid story and fun gameplay with nostalgia.

A J-RPG built from the ground up to be like the generic JRPGs of yester-year. Yeah. Thats how you get new mechanics and fun gameplay.

3) Would you rather they make heavy or only multiplayer focus, grey and brown FPS?

Because I totally said that right?

Reactions: ggyo and Gahars

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) Are you serious?

Yes. O rly? :P

A J-RPG built from the ground up to be like the generic JRPGs of yester-year. Yeah. Thats how you get new mechanics and fun gameplay.

Just because it is being built up as "generic JRPGs of yester-year" doesn't mean he doesn't got a good story or an added game mechanic for farther development. Even then, the way it looks, it's going to be fun to play.

Because I totally said that right? This really was only meant as a joke for "Theres a reason games aren't made like this anymore." Considering the popular genre that is being made is fps right now. Also, I didn't think that statement is even true.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not saying people won't find it fun. People find the stupidest things fun.

I'm saying, I don't see how making games with the whole "retro" gimmick is worth supporting. "Look guys! I made some anime characters with the personality of a cardboard box with stickers! Support me!!!"

Indie gaming used to mean something. It used to mean the creation of gems like Tetris, or Cave Story. Hell, even Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft. Now, it seems people will just throw money at anything just because it reminds them of good times and being young.

D

Deleted_171835

Indie gaming used to mean something. It used to mean the creation of gems like Tetris, or Cave Story. Hell, even Dwarf Fortress or Minecraft. Now, it seems people will just throw money at anything just because it reminds them of good times and being young.
Please don't start with this bullshit. Just last year, we had The Unfinished Swan, Retro City Rampage, Hotline Miami, Journey, FTL, Fez, Sound Shapes, Mutant Blobs Attack, Mark of the Ninja and more. There is no "downfall" of indie games, in fact I would argue there has been a resurgence in quality indie games.

...and really, tetris?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying people won't find it fun. People find the stupidest things fun.

I'm saying, I don't see how making games with the whole "retro" gimmick is worth supporting. "Look guys! I made some anime characters with the personality of a cardboard box with stickers! Support me!!!"

"Cave Story (洞窟物語 Dōkutsu Monogatari?) is a freeware platform-adventure video game released in 2004 for the PC. It was developed over five years by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya in his free time. Cave Story features 2D platform mechanics and is a homage to the classic games that the author played in his youth, such as Metroid."

Reactions: KingVamp

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, while I enjoy a retro throwback every now and then, the market is just flooded with them now. I feel like a lot of developers use the "retro" design theme as a crutch, an easy excuse for any legitimate flaws in their work.

A little more branching out and experimentation is always welcome.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't start with this bullshit. Just last year, we had The Unfinished Swan, Retro City Rampage, Hotline Miami, Journey, FTL, Fez, Sound Shapes, Mutant Blobs Attack, Mark of the Ninja and more. There is no "downfall" of indie games, in fact I would argue there has been a resurgence in quality indie games.

...and really, tetris?

And so once again, Soulx emphasizes on one point, and misses the actual statement. For the sake of argument no doubt.

When I say used to, I dont mean it in the fashion that were not seeing any good indie games (even though I would only call about 4 of those good, but thats a matter of opinion) I mean it in the fact it used to be a pioneering class of games, other big budget games would stick with similar formula's in order to ensure a profit, but indie games always had an original twist.

This is the complete opposite of that. Its whole basis is being like older big budget games, hell, even its graphical style screams PS1. I cant possibly see how going backwards is something worth paying for.

"Cave Story (洞窟物語 Dōkutsu Monogatari?) is a freeware platform-adventure video game released in 2004 for the PC. It was developed over five years by Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya in his free time. Cave Story features 2D platform mechanics and is a homage to the classic games that the author played in his youth, such as Metroid."

Cave Story also had a personality of its own. Other then gameplay (and even then when playing the first thing that popped in my mind was not Metroid but that's more opinionated then anything) it has a styling and story all to its own. Not to mention it did this in a considerably earlier time, when these so called Throwbacks and Tributes weren't a dime a dozen and was developed with the intention of being free.

This (and quite a few others of its kind) is flat-out generic and saying it deserves money because of it.

Reactions: ggyo

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I was trying to figure out, is that getting it onto Wii U is a stretch goal, but he has Wii U tiers. What happens if it meets it's goal but not the Wii U stretch goal?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-