Keyboard for Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xbandaidx, Sep 28, 2007.

Sep 28, 2007

Keyboard for Wii by xbandaidx at 4:16 AM (2,511 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. xbandaidx
    OP

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So since firmware 3.0 came out, it added keyboard support. Most don't know this even know its been out on the net since early august.

However, I started thinking today...

Since firmware update 3.0 added USB keyboard support to the Wii and that the NSiders forum went down, not to mention this from nintendo website when they announced what they were working on a huge site update, they said this

"that the unique features available with Nintendo DS and Wii give Nintendo the opportunity to communicate directly with fans, while also enabling fans and friends around the world to communicate with each other "

Interesting eh?

Proof of keyboard support >>> http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811436p1.html

It's probably the big surprise that Reggie has for us, I wouldn't be surprised.

I bought a USB keyboard tonight and confirmed that it does indeed work, only in the Memo and email right now. However support could easily be addded for Internet channel, and more importantly games (MMO anyone?)

Now seeing how this has been out for a month now and stuff, there is really no reason in my opinion that Battatlion Wars 2 should not at least have keyboard support. However like I posted above they said "communicate" so it could be anything.

2. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    BW2 better have support for either a keyboard or headset. Even if the devices aren't out yet, they should include support for when they are released.

3. xbandaidx
    OP

United States
    I read somewhere online that Nintendo is having an event on October 10th, and in my opinion what better time to announce headset and keyboard support? [​IMG]

4. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It doesn't work in Internet Channel, so it's pretty much useless.

5. Tafunda

Newcomer Tafunda Member

Saudi Arabia
    Cross thy fingers

6. WK416

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I attended Digital Life this weekend where Opera had a booth. I spoke with some lady about keyboard support for the internet channel. She said while they can't make any announcements, she heard some "things". I suppose that means that they're trying it, but it isn't any good indicator of when we will get it. [​IMG]

7. xbandaidx
    OP

United States
    Hey WK416, Great question to ask them! It's great you took advantage of the opportunity to ask. [​IMG]. I hope what she heard is true.

8. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    That's my exact feeling on the matter. I miss owning a laptop so I had some freedom when my wife to be wants to use the PC for her horsecity messageboard (takes hours at times.) I'll sit there and use the net browser to pop up fark and a few things, but get pissed I can't use a keyboard to do replies let alone hit up boards like this one as there's no goddamn way I'm taking 10min to click out a few line post.

9. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It'll be really cool when we get Wii homebrew that supports it. [​IMG]

10. TanookiSuit

United States
    I went at got some no name NX2 nexxtech keyboard at circuit city for $15 awhile ago and it works perfect. The speed of the browser and new functions on the b+dpad, more basic function, and keyboard really make it a pleasure to use the thing now. I could see so not using the stupid PC some days if there's no need and the tv is already on.

11. zi70410

Member zi70410 GBAtemp Regular

uh they announced today the browser will have keyboard support go to ign

12. andyfreeman

Newcomer andyfreeman Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Wii Browser as of yesterday has keyboard support.

You just need to update the browser from within the shop then you can use keyboard in browser, only dissapointment is the enter key does not submit the test you types so still need to point wiimote at OK buttons

13. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Anyone know or try using a wireless keyboard that uses the USB for the reciever?

14. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Won't work most likely since majority of those keyboards need some kind of drivers for it to work ^

15. Bowsa

Newcomer Bowsa Newbie

United States
    guys it does work with internet channel, this is version 3.1, oh and u need to download/update ( doesn't cost anything if u already have) the everybody votes channel and opera web browser , im using it right now lol

16. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    did you bother reading the whole topic...^

17. TanookiSuit

United States
    TO the question wondering about wireless keyboards, they work too.

If you pop over to the wikipedia you can search for keyboard support on the browser it has a small but very helpful list of working keyboards both wired and not. The one I mentioned is NOT on there as of my last posting, but maybe someone will add it. Be aware though, DO check that list, as while nearly any keyboard should work, there is a chance with a few where your SHIFT key won't be picked up until they do another bios revision I imagine.

18. Nintendo

Newcomer Nintendo Member

I might have to invest in one of those compatible wireless keyboards. With my setup, it's annoying to have to plug stuff into the back of my Wii, so I usually just end up using my Wiimote instead of my USB keyboard to type. If I had a wireless keyboard I'd just leave it plugged in all the time.

19. TanookiSuit

United States
    I'm cheap, got a wired one for $15. Gives me a reason to sit closer to the screen and use my rocking chair. [​IMG]

20. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States