Hacking Keeping my CFW PS3 slim cool.

titchgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,

hoping someone can give me a idiots guide here.
I just acquired a PS3 with CFW installed and after ripping my copy of Mass Effect 2 onto the HDD last night I noticed one of the temps had creeped up to 75

it has a fan utility installed by orion but I can really work out what I should set the payload to?

from what I understand it has 3 options full speed, A manual speed that seems to be based on a hex number or something and then the payload which should keep it bellow a certain temp.

what I cant work out is how do I know what temp I am setting it to?

and do I have to start this little application each time I turn the system on or does it auto run in the background?

these seem silly questions in my head but I cant find any instructions in english so I am a bit confused!!

cheers,

Titch.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the best temp threshold is around 68 degrees C. that's what wmm has as its default. 75 is a bit high, but sony wanted the system to be quiet rather than reliable. once people realized how hot their systems were actually getting, they panicked. 70s under a heavy load is normal for the most part, but I'd set the temp threshold.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds to me your thermal paste dried up to prevent any damage (YLOD) I suggest you clean off the chips and apply new thermal paste cranking up the fan speed is basicly kicking the can down the road it will only work for so long in the end replacing the thermal paste is needed

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's a tutorial on psx place to prevent ylod. apparently, the system can get really hot (quite a bit hotter than what you're getting, in fact nearly doubling it). lol. damn, the 360 is designed to go off at 190 or so F or whatever celcius would be for that number. I think all models force shutdown at around that temp, so even shitty xenons. lol

titchgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I intend on getting the paste changed as well, Its a slim model so from what I understand not quite as bad as tge old phat used to be!

but I still want to get my head around this fan controller.

it only seems to kick in if I manualy start it so I assume I need to start it each time but still cant work out how to adjust the payload?
Or is that set by the controller?

titchgamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have been playing for 2 hours now and after starting the fan controller app my temps are staying cool 59/63 so it seems to be fine as long as I manually start it before I start playing.

Sonys logic of silence over cooling is baffling!
Ide say it seems to be running I would guess around 40% most of the time which you can barely hear when you are actually playing so until I can get the paste changed that should be fine :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
microsoft did the same thing with the 360. I think they don't want you thinking there's something wrong with the system like overheating. I think nintendo does it too. I can't hear the switch fan unless it's completely silent. I think typically cooling and the optical drive are the two main places that the companies cut corners on.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's kinda what they did with the switch, but I can hear its fan running when it's quiet. unfortunately, I expected more from those cartridges. some games, like bloodstained or the spyro trilogy, have atrocious load times. I also noticed that on the vita. secret of mana loads up very quickly, but ys origin has a delay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.