Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru (GAMEBOY)

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This game came out in the earlier 90's and was the basis for the engine used in "Links Awakening" I was wondering if there is ANYONE who would be interested on working towards a translation project. I have no prior experience with hacking or translation-but I feel like if I get enough people interested in this game-maybe I could get something rolling.

Thank you for reading

Game DETAILS(Wikipedia)

In a land far away, the two princes- Richard (of the Custard Kingdom) and the game's main protagonist (prince of the Sabure Kingdom) have shared a friendly rivalry since they were small children. They often compete, especially in the sport of fencing, but in the vast majority of competitions (with the exception of fencing) Richard has ended up as the loser. One day a messenger arrives from a small neighboring kingdom, warning the princes that the evil King Delalin has invaded the Mille-Feuille Kingdom and captured princess Tiramisu. Seeing an opportunity to gain the favor of the princess (and finally win for once at something besides fencing), Richard grabs a boat and rushes towards the kingdom. Sabure Prince is left to try and catch up. While on the Sabure Prince's journey, he encountered a frog that wants him to find all of the other frogs around the entire Mille-Feuille Kingdom, and tell them to return to their safest place.

Major characters

* Sabure Prince (sometimes referred to as Prince Sabure, Prince of Sabure, Prince of Sablé or Prince Sablé) - The main protagonist of the game (named at the beginning by the player). He is a good-natured and kindhearted boy, though he's not very bright. He always somehow loses against Prince Richard when they fence. The kingdom of Sabure, being the wealthiest and most powerful nation in the land, has provided him with a comfortable life so far; he has never had to worry about money. This upbringing has had the side-effect of giving the Sabure Prince the idea that any problem can somehow be solved by tossing cash at it.

* Prince Richard - He is the prince of the Custard Kingdom. The Sabure Prince is his good rival and childhood friend. During the course of the game, the Sabure Prince and Richard will both compete to save Princess Tiramisu first.

* Princess Tiramisu - She rules the Mille-Feuille Kingdom. The legend of her unequaled beauty has spread far and wide through the land. Seeking her hand (forcibly) in marriage, King Delarin and his minions have invaded the countryside, laid siege to the castle and kidnapped her. While she is missing, there is no peace within Mille-Feuille.

* Jam - A thief from the town of A La Mode. He was hostile to the Sabure Prince at first, thinking he was a member of the Geronian army. Their second meeting involved him stealing all of the Sabure Prince's money. Eventually the two realized the misunderstanding, and became friendly with each other. He wears an eyepatch, and can also transform into a frog, but it is unknown as to why. He gives the Sabure Prince the Power Bracelets.

* Beelzebub - A giant bee who leads the Geronian army. He is the principle planner of the invasion of the Mille-Feuille Kingdom.

* Mandola - A witch who wears glasses. She alone knows how to destroy King Delarin. She has an Asvogel, a condor-like bird named Polnareff as a pet.

* King Delarin - He is the title's antagonist. He has captured Princess Tiramisu while using his evil powers to destroy all the peace within the Mille-Feuille Kingdom. While he first appears to be just a normal snake, he'll transform into a giant snake during battle.

Genre
This section does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed. (March 2009)
This article may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (March 2009)

Since this is a mixture of adventure, action, and RPG, it is difficult to define its genre in a single category- even Nintendo and Intelligent Systems themselves have not been consistent. Its strong "search through the countryside" storyline and amusing characters have given it a lean towards being an RPG; however, it does not contain an experience system. Furthermore, the Sabure Prince only gets stronger through the use of items, thus placing the title as an "Action-Adventure" game, the same as The Legend of Zelda series.[citation needed]

Gameplay
Bird's-Eye Scrolling in the game.

The game's movement is divided into two ways:

* Bird's-Eye Scrolling - A top view that only is shown in villages, towns, fields and other similar areas. Like the Legend of Zelda franchise, moving Up, Down, Left and Right on the D+Pad will move the Sabure Prince in that direction. Enemies are visible, and you can begin battle by bumping into them.

* 2D-Platforming - A side view that is shown only in dungeons, caves, castles, and other similar places in the game, similar to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and other side-scrolling platformers. The D+Pad moves the Sabure Prince left and right, while Up is reserved for jumping and climbing ladders. As in the overhead view, Enemies are visible in this perspective; you can begin battle by bumping into them.

Enemy battles

When players make the Sabure Prince touch an enemy, the game shifts to a battle scene. However, as a further separation from the RPG genre, the player does not select from a series of menu commands. Instead, the player just watches the battle. This causes a back-and-forth loss of physical strength while the Sabure Prince and the enemy engage each other. If the Sabure Prince is significantly stronger than the enemy he faces, the enemy will run away (resulting in ability increases for the player without needing to engage in battle). Victory or defeat in a typical battle is gauged by the Sabure Princes's strength, attack, armor and defense, and the opposing enemy stats. For bosses, the player must fill up the Sabure Prince's life bar and have the most powerful items found at certain points before battling each boss in order to win against them. If the Sabure Prince is victorious, he will gain money, hearts, strange apples, strange eggs, or other items. If he loses, he will restart from a "hospital" in the town he last visited, but will retain the money he had when he perished.

Transformations

As the story advances, the Sabure Prince will have the ability to transform into a frog, then later on, a snake. Frogs, Snakes, and Humans each have their own special abilities- some of which are required to switch to in order to progress through the storyline.

* Human - The form the Sabure Prince starts with. Humans do not have much magic, but Human has a greater amount of attack power than the other two forms. If the Sabure Prince attempts to enter water as a Human (before drinking the frog potion given by Doubtful), he will drown. To transform back into this form, the Sabure Prince must eat a strange apple.
* Frog - After Doubtful gives the Sabure Prince the frog potion, the Sabure Prince will be able to transform into a humanoid frog by entering watery areas. Endowed with high "jump power", this form will allow the Sabure Prince to enter water safely as well as talk to real frogs and some soldiers (without fighting them). On the field screen, even if the Sabure Prince touches an insect-type enemy, he will not engage in a fight - rather, he will "eat" it, regaining a heart. This form cannot fight snakes or other foes than insect-type enemies, and snakes are attracted to it. Prince Richard and the Sabure Prince can both take this form.
* Snake - Apparently only the Sabure Prince can assume this form. When the Sabure Prince eats a strange egg, he will transform into a snake. It allows the Sabure Prince to pass through tight holes and talk to real snakes without fighting them. While this form cannot fight, certain enemies may turn into blocks when talked to. Also, if the Sabure Prince encounters a frog while in the Snake form, he'll terrify it, making it flee and move off the screen.

nugundam0079

Prime Сasual Dating - Verified Women
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I know im sorry nemi! its just that Romhacking.net was the first place I went..I guess im really on my own with this!

thank you!!

Mazensa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This could be the most entertaining handheld RPG ever its by the same people that did Zelda Links Awakening its a real rival to links awakening in fun ideas and it has fun gameplay in its battle system and transformation, items that lets you access new areas it could be the only real game developed by EAD that didn't reach western shores,
the music is amazing by legendary Totaka he made music for Links Awakinimg Wave Race Wii chanels and such, they were so proud of this game that they include Richard in Zelda LA.

Mazensa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nugundam0079 said:
Thats why i want to find people who could translate it!
I am studying master degree I will not have free time until a year and a half from now, please keep searching for people don't give up please
smile.gif
I dream of playing this someday in english.

I don't think it have that much text and there are many real expert in Gameboy rom hacking,
see romhacking.net database to see some of the quality translated gameboy roms to reach their creators sites and bug them
smile.gif
I hope you don't give up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1