raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The K-Team recently announced the next gen K1gba......The K101
And now it is up for preorder. The major difference between the K1 SP and the K101
is that the K101 has new features( that were missing in the k1sp) like RTC, 3.5 mm headphone jack
and USB charging and also a new form factor >> it looks like(well atleast) DINGOO A-320 Gemei A330
[quote name="Another World'']
The K101 is the successor to the K1 GBA SP hardware clone and utilizes the same K-Team system on a chip design. However, this time around the console design includes a few important updates.

Most noticeably, the SoC has been placed inside a modifiedGemei Tech A330 shell, thanks to K1 GBA SP builder, and firmware updater, Maxzhou88. Early reports state that the directional pad and buttons will be much more responsive. The K101 has received numerous hardware upgrades as well, including a hardware based Real Time Clock, a bottom mounted 3.5mm headphone jack, a top mounted 3.5mm AV-Out jack, and a top mounted mini-USB charging plug.

There have been no official comments regarding any type of internal storage, it seems that the unit will still require the K-Card and that the mini-USB plug will only be utilized for charging purposes.

K1GBA, via their new Website, has begun accepting pre-sale orders for the K101 at a price of $59.99 (including free shipping). This pre-sale price is not only less than the actual retail price but includes a bundle of other items.

Bundle Includes:
- 1x K101 (with charger, no official comments regarding an av-out cable)
- 1x K-Card (although not officially listed)
- 1x Earbud headphones
- 1x 4GB microSD card (complete with GBA Homebrew)
- 1x microSD card reader
- 1x soft carrying pouch (color picked at random)

The proposed selection of included Homebrew is made up of 43 files, all of which I hope will make the cut. The current genres covered are applications, platformers, puzzle games, RPGs, adventure games, mini-games, arcade games, overhead shooters, rogue-like dungeon crawlers, and more, providing something for everyone to enjoy!

The pre-sale bundle sale will only last until the K101 is officially released, approximately 30 days from now.
It is not known if the tv output support is still present.
The battery life is also unknown.
[/quote]
Pics.
K101.jpg

K101-c.jpg

K101-b.jpg

K101-D.JPG

headphone-port.JPG

K101-6.JPG

K101-buttons.JPG

K101-d-pad.JPG
It is priced at $60(including a Pouch Bag + Headphone + 4GB TF Card)
^^^
well atleast $10 less than the K1 SP
Pre-order here-
http://www.k1gbasp.c...games-p-47.html

GET A CHANCE TO WIN A K101(They are giving two one K101s one contest expired)
http://obscurehandhe...-just-a-number/
both expired

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i had hoped they wouldn't make the page live until we finished discussing the bundle. guess the news is out now. i've just submitted to them 43 legal games for the bundle. when the bundle is finalized i'll post some news to the front page.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
This is surprisingly ugly. It's like the iPhone 4 and Dingoo had a lovechild.

its a modified gemei a330 shell. from my understanding the photos are not yet final. the system is probably going to include a logo/name from the recent contest. they are still about a month away from a full production run as well. again, this news was leaked before the page was ready, but it was their own fault for putting it on a live server.

-another world

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the final product manages to cut back on the size somehow. The way it looks now, if it continues to progress in this direction, it'll look like that Neo Geo Gold emulation device.

ruilong

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully the final product manages to cut back on the size somehow. The way it looks now, if it continues to progress in this direction, it'll look like that Neo Geo Gold emulation device.
Cut back on the size? What do you mean? Do you think the size on K101 is too big? It is wider than Gemei A330 but I think it has a better gaming control with this size.

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks a bit too big, yes. For example, I would rather buy a Dingoo and emulate all sorts of different titles, along with GBA, instead of buying this with just 1 form of gameplay. However, if the form factor was closer to the Gameboy Micro, it'd be viewed as something worth talking about since it'd be nearly, or identical, to buying an actual gameboy Micro with the ability to play all of the GBA library.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like where they are going with this, but if the prices I'm seeing are correct a Dingoo A320 is only $20~ more, and has a bit more emulation options. Definitely will keep a eye out for this item.

Edit: Looks pretty easy to take apart/together. Any plans on faceplate replacements?

Edit2: Maybe not, I see he used a tool to mount the mobo in place.

Edit3: Gah, looks like a normal screw driver?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
It looks a bit too big, yes. For example, I would rather buy a Dingoo and emulate all sorts of different titles, along with GBA, instead of buying this with just 1 form of gameplay. However, if the form factor was closer to the Gameboy Micro, it'd be viewed as something worth talking about since it'd be nearly, or identical, to buying an actual gameboy Micro with the ability to play all of the GBA library.

the gameboy micro is a pocket device designed for quick gaming sessions while on the go. the k101 is designed for gba-era gamers who want to put their feet up and enjoy gba games on a device with some enhancements. i, for one, would be rather upset if the form factor was made smaller. i found the k1 gba sp to push my tolerance for hand cramps. the dingoo a320 does the same thing. it was the gemei tech a330 that finally got the form factor dialed in, and if they are a little bit wider than that, all the better.

I like where they are going with this, but if the prices I'm seeing are correct a Dingoo A320 is only $20~ more, and has a bit more emulation options. Definitely will keep a eye out for this item.

Edit3: Gah, looks like a normal screw driver?

consider that it was built by hand, consider the customer service behind it (built by the community for the community, updated by the person building them, etc), and consider that its the only hardware solution to date. in my opinion that is where the extra money is going. its a gba for gba-era gamers, where a dingoo is for "retro" gamers and emulation enthusiasts.

as for the screws, would you rather have tri-wing screws? =P

-another world

sukoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My order is complete.

That is exactly what i was looking for, as the lack of RTC was a bit annoying when i saw the K1 GBA release.

Thanks K1 team !

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
How much is this going to cost after pre-order?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I just thought of something. Don't the K1 GBA devices contain the original GBA BIOS, and would therefore technically be illegal to produce? Nintendo could possibly prosecute them if they think it's worth the effort.

I wish the CPU was faster to make emulation capabilities more comparable to the Dingoo. If it could run SNES games, it would be great. It's still pretty good at this price, over here it's hard to even get a used GBA SP at that price, and GBA flashcarts are getting hard to find as well. Plus the fact that it supports multiboot so it's possible to use it to play Zelda Four Swords Adventures makes me kind of want one, even though I have plenty of devices that can emulate GBA well.

So the answer to the topic description is yes, it's definitely worth buying if you're a fan of retro games like me and you don't already have several handhelds that can emulate GBA games.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This new case is more interesting than the regular gba sp case IMO, it looks more solid than the usual GBA sp cases most chinese clones uses, and it's certainly also cheaper to produce since there is less moving parts.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I just thought of something. Don't the K1 GBA devices contain the original GBA BIOS, and would therefore technically be illegal to produce? Nintendo could possibly prosecute them if they think it's worth the effort.

I wish the CPU was faster to make emulation capabilities more comparable to the Dingoo. If it could run SNES games, it would be great. It's still pretty good at this price, over here it's hard to even get a used GBA SP at that price, and GBA flashcarts are getting hard to find as well. Plus the fact that it supports multiboot so it's possible to use it to play Zelda Four Swords Adventures makes me kind of want one, even though I have plenty of devices that can emulate GBA well.

So the answer to the topic description is yes, it's definitely worth buying if you're a fan of retro games like me and you don't already have several handhelds that can emulate GBA games.
it all depends on maxzhou88 if he wants to add snes emulation

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Damn them...

I was only holding off on a K1 because of the buttons and the price (and a little bit of RTC), and they fixed both.
But I'm not sure I like the new form factor... BUT IT'S A FRIGGING K1!

So.... hard....

EDIT:
Nintendo no longer makes any systems, games, or accessories that are forwards-compatible with any current system. Basically, they aren't making any money off the GBA now.
I mean come on, they already started putting GBA games on the 3DS Virtual Console!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well, after a day of pain, i'm gonna catch some zs