Just started Palib, need help.

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Lief098, May 1, 2009.

May 1, 2009
  1. Lief098
    OP

Newcomer Lief098 Newbie

United States
    Ok, so I've been learning PALib over the past few days, and I've started my first project. It's a simple Space-Invaders type game, with top-down scrolling and enemy ships.

Everything's going well so far, except that I've hit a dead end. I can't figure out how to make bullets/lasers for the ships; I don't even know where to start.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. commdante

Member commdante GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Make a random timer for every "craft "and make them spawn/make bullets as a separate "being" (own speed and vector orso)? This seems to be a rather basic game problem, not as much a ds dev specific one, try some general game programing sites (google them)?

Nice to see a new person giving DS dev a shot ... good luck.

3. Lief098
    OP

Newcomer Lief098 Newbie

United States
    How do I make them "make" the bullets? Do I just set the bullets as seperate sprites?

4. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    yea, thats what you have to do to "make" the bullets, makeing them fire is different however. You have to atleast say if whatever button is pushed then make the bullet sprite move across the screen. (Altleast thats how it went in java.)
    Keep it up doing a great job also very nice to see a new dev!

5. Lief098
    OP

Newcomer Lief098 Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the help everyone, I'm going to go try that now.

6. xylos

Member xylos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its great to see that there are people who are willing to take up the time and challenge of making games and apps for DS. This is what the community needs; people like you who instead of taking time to complain and ask for homebrew will take it up themselves and make their own projects...

Good Luck with your game!

7. Lief098
    OP

Newcomer Lief098 Newbie

United States
    Yes, I completely agree. It's just like that old "give a man a fish" saying...if you aren't willing to work for it, you don't have the right to complain about not having it.

Thanks for the support xylos. I know I have ages and ages of work and learning to do before I turn out anything really great, but I'll keep at it, thanks to people like you who create a friendly community in which to be in. [​IMG]