Hacking Just heard that one noob deleted everything in CTRNAND with FBI

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
So I take it that A9LH has come a long way? How long has it been out?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And from the topic being discuessed here it seems that the dude who bricked might have been able to recover his machine if he had stored the right backups?

Yes it has, originally you had to do the downgrading to 2.1 on the n3DS by manual hex editing as well as manually installing a9lh. When I did it things had progress to where you used sysupdater to downgrade your emunand to 2.1 and then otphelper would verify the downgrade worked properly before flashing it to sysnand. Now it uses the ctrnand transfer to downgrade making it even easier.

And yes, if he had a sysnand backup then he could have fixed it easily. So use hourglass9 to backup your sysnand regularly and keep both the latest backup and the one before that in multiple places (your computer, gdrive, dropbox, etc) and remember, backups are system specific so if you have more than one 3DS you need to safely store backups from each one.

MelonGx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The problem is not with FBI, but that this person messed with sysnand with no backups. Same thing can happen with a9lh install
Noobs won't mess up their SysNAND with GodMode9 because they scare about every warning they have seen before the final confirmation of modifying SysNAND.
But they don't scare of using FBI to mess up SysNAND because they never see anything which can prevent them (censored)

Last edited by MelonGx,

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it has, originally you had to do the downgrading to 2.1 on the n3DS by manual hex editing as well as manually installing a9lh. When I did it things had progress to where you used sysupdater to downgrade your emunand to 2.1 and then otphelper would verify the downgrade worked properly before flashing it to sysnand. Now it uses the ctrnand transfer to downgrade making it even easier.

And yes, if he had a sysnand backup then he could have fixed it easily. So use hourglass9 to backup your sysnand regularly and keep both the latest backup and the one before that in multiple places (your computer, gdrive, dropbox, etc) and remember, backups are system specific so if you have more than one 3DS you need to safely store backups from each one.

I waited to install A9LH until there was a python script to handle the hex editing. :)

In case anyone is still on the fence about A9LH, the install process nowadays is so fucking smooth, just do it. Bricking your console takes an extraordinary effort of stupidity if you have a NAND backup. It's easier to brick a non-A9LH system with these levels of stupidity, honestly, just don't mess with files on your NAND unless you know what the heck you are doing.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well to be fair, in the source he did say he didn't make a backup. Plus he went in to edit something in FBI when we only use it to install games, even though godmode9 is much more adapted/suited to the task.

Not to be a dick, but this sounds like complete human error, cause it won't just strait up delete something without confirmation or some type of user input to initiate it.

That guy is full of it

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For most people, it seems FBI is only really useful for CIA installation after you are done installing CFW right?
Yes, and even then, we have freeshop and ciangel, which further proves its that guys own fault for not only poking his nose in something he shouldn't have, but also used the wrong program to do so

Edit:
Sorry If it came out a little snarky, don't mean it that way @VassagoX

Last edited by Sketchy1,

VassagoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and even then, we have freeshop and ciangel, which further proves its that guys own fault for not only poking his nose in something he shouldn't have, but also used the wrong program to do so

Edit:
Sorry If it came out a little snarky, don't mean it that way @VassagoX

Not at all. I edited my original post because I think it came across wrong first lol

VassagoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are doing nothing other than scaring people from modifying their 3DS. The person who did this was a complete idiot and didn't follow directions at all.

Agreed. I'm a 3ds noob and was able to not only install a9lh on a 9.9 without much of a problem, but also transfer it to another 3ds on 11.2 following the guide and help on this forum.

Granted, I knew that was my plan so set up the nnid I wanted on the second 3ds on the first one so no need to transfer back or anything.

Last edited by VassagoX,

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Noobs won't mess up their SysNAND with GodMode9 because they scare about every warning they have seen before the final confirmation of modifying SysNAND.
But they don't scare of using FBI to mess up SysNAND because they never see anything which can prevent them (censored)

Noobs have no reason to use GodMode9 or touch sysnand unless they want to invite trouble

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I can't even begin to try to understand why the person would even go to CTRNAND and delete files. JUST WHY?!. What was his thought process? Is it: "I don't know what this is and it's taking so much space (like 1mb), better delete it, I'm sure it's safe!" .. That's like going to your System folder in Windows and deleting everything because it's taking space and expecting that nothing will happen. Well, in Windows it wouldn't let you, in FBI it does but that's besides the point .. Tbh he deserves to get bricked, no flame.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Alex658

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Im surprised nobody here has asked:
What he was thinking of while doing this? What exactly he wanted to do? ._.

There's no logical explanation, that's why you don't see anyone speculating about it. The person just didn't know what he/she was doing and thought it was safe.
If he used the guide, why the hell doesn't he have a NAND backup? (or a chinese translation of it, idk.)

Reactions: Sketchy1

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no logical explanation, that's why you don't see anyone speculating about it. The person just didn't know what he/she was doing and thought it was safe.
If he used the guide, why the hell doesn't he have a NAND backup? (or a chinese translation of it, idk.)
this basically sums up this whole thread imo. And As @Crystal the Glaceon said, this sounds like a "them" problem, not ours.
Let this serve as a warning to noobs: when a9lh-ing a console,
1) always have a backup
2)Dont poke your nose where it dosent belong and then have the audacity to delete something

Last edited by Sketchy1,

VassagoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noobs have no reason to use GodMode9 or touch sysnand unless they want to invite trouble

The guide has you using Godmode9 when transferring CFW to another system, but I certainly agree with you that they (we) certainly shouldn't take risks without a plan. Lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok